Author Topic: Official Dave Matthews Band Thread [Split]  (Read 4107 times)

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
Official Dave Matthews Band Thread [Split]
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 02:55:54 pm »
i think dmb are very good.  not my cup o tea, but i\'ll never bash the band themselves.  i\'ve had coffee with dave and find him to be a great guy.  i make fun of DMB fans based on other DMB fans.   TOTALLY different ballgame.
Postcount +1.

LBoogie

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 02:56:26 pm »
Quote from: leith;225054
Quote from: LBoogie;225050
judging a band based on their fanbase is ignorant.  when did it stop being about the music and the talent?  i wonder what would happen to the breakfast if they were judged solely on their fanbase......now THATS a great topic starter :)

Oh please don\'t. really don\'t.

scary thought right?  really makes one wonder though.....

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 02:57:22 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;225052
Quote from: leith;225049
so they have that going for them.

...which is nice...

Now see. That\'s a movie for the ages right there. So many instances you can reference it.
Damn they don\'t make \'em like that anymore.
Whoa started channeling Yoda ;)
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 03:18:46 pm »
they did used to be great in 92-93. i\'d go see them most tuesdays for $3. but then they started rehearsing their \'jams\' and trying to be great big stars. hell, i even told stefan (when he asked me) that unless he was ok with not playing exploratory, improvisational music, that he may want to get out of the band and continue with his free ride to college while trying playing with other bands. of course, three or four months later he was on mtv and not on campus anymore... that\'s when i stopped really paying attention, because they weren\'t playing the type of music i was most interested in - the stuff where mistakes can happen, because its live. but yeah, they\'ve been great musicians and seem to be trying to be so again. the addition of tim reynolds i like, but mostly because i like his solo stuff better.

but as for dave himself.... he still owes my buddy josh $5 from a party we were all at in 1992. that was the same party where i was playing with him and tim on the same couch and even though i was keeping up and jamming right along, he said i was throwing him off, because he didn\'t like the sound of my ovation.  screw that guy!!  

but in the end, you wouldn\'t catch me within twenty miles of a dmb show, solely because of the fanbase. same with bisco... if you being wasted is the point of you benig at the show, please don\'t stand anywhere near me, thanks.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 03:33:45 pm »
the fanbase kicks ass. i saw dmb for the first time last year and bought a high school chick and her bf some beer. it totally rocked.

april fools.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

tyzack

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 03:35:18 pm »
And the Phish phanbase is any better?
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 03:41:49 pm »
i don\'t go to phish shows anymore
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

LBoogie

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 03:47:25 pm »
^^^^  exactly.  same shenanigans.....better drugs.  if you\'re there for the music....listen to the fucking music and don\'t involve yourself with the idiots that are there to ruin it by partying to the point of extreme annoyance.  its definitely avoidable.  or....pay the money....get the seat....and stay away from the lawn:)  this goes for ANY show with ANY fanbase. very simple.

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 03:49:37 pm »
a few things...

first i\'d like to thank the moderators for making me author of a thread with more than one page. thats a first for me.

second, i\'d like to say that i wasn\'t trying to offend anyone (except all the goddam bro-rapists... you guys really suck)

third, i agree that the band is very talented, I have heard their good shit ("the headie days") and i know of, have heard and do appreciate their improvisations and musicianship.

fourth, i\'d like to mention that in addition to DMB, Trey is also a big fan of Bug, dope and several other things not worht mentioning that make his opinion not very important in my eyes. sorry lieth, but just because someone i like likes someone i hate, doesnt make me want to like them too

fifth, people on this board hate on many other things as well as DMB, ranging from really great Bfast tunes (Spunk comes to mind), Phish tunes (YEM comes to mind), and music artists (Zappa comes to mind, in fact I may have addressed all three references in a previous post/rant somewhere, i\'ll leave it to Yoda to dig it up). people hating things on this board should come as no surprise to anyone.

I\'m not sorry.

sixth, yes, DMB fanbase makes all other hated fanbases (yes, even the bisuits w00ks) look tame. this contributes to my feelings about DMB, but son\'t get me wrong: i think Dave Matthews songs are haggard even wiothout the douche bag bro-rapists gushing over his shriveled junk. (sorry Lboog, no hard feelings right?)

seventh, nothing pisses me off more than all of the haggard music artists that i have met/played with/ been in bands with that try to sing like Dave Matthews. his voice is like a rusty scalpel shaving off layers of my tympanum, and imitators are almost always worse. For that alone i will forever have a bias on DM\'s contributons to the world of aspiring musicians.

eighth, no one talks shit on my boy jking.
caress me, aunt jemima

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 03:50:17 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;225071
And the Phish phanbase is any better?

I was just talking with co-workers this morning about how most genre-specific fanbases are made annoying by the poser scenesters who draw the most attention.  As unconventional as they believe themselves to be, they fit perfectly the stereotype of the purpose-seeking loser of their respective scene:

DMB frat boys, heady flakes in the jamband scene, the posers in the punk crowd, the snotty hipster turds donning superslim jeans and played out black-rimmed specs in indy rock, rastafari white kids.........and the list goes on.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:54:41 pm by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 03:59:08 pm »
Quote from: Lexington;225083

I\'m not sorry.

sixth, yes, DMB fanbase makes all other hated fanbases (yes, even the bisuits w00ks) look tame. this contributes to my feelings about DMB, but son\'t get me wrong: i think Dave Matthews songs are haggard even wiothout the douche bag bro-rapists gushing over his shriveled junk. (sorry Lboog, no hard feelings right?)

seventh, nothing pisses me off more than all of the haggard music artists that i have met/played with/ been in bands with that try to sing like Dave Matthews. his voice is like a rusty scalpel shaving off layers of my tympanum, and imitators are almost always worse. For that alone i will forever have a bias on DM\'s contributons to the world of aspiring musicians.

eighth, no one talks shit on my boy jking.

good shit right there.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »
(yes, even the bisuits w00ks)

They are "Tree-Thuggers" not wooks...get it right.

his voice is like a rusty scalpel shaving off layers of my tympanum, and imitators are almost always worse.

tympanum
1. Anatomy, Zoology. a. middle ear.  
b. tympanic membrane.  

I can\'t be the only one who had to look that one up
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 04:01:28 pm »
ear drum, bro
caress me, aunt jemima

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 04:07:44 pm »
here\'s the kicker. an ex-gf of mine used to be jason mraz\'s best friend. we used to get together and jam pretty often. i couldn\'t stand it!!!!

all he knew were dmb songs and he kept trying to sing just like dave. well, one day i fucking flew off the handle and let mraz know that the only reason dave sings like that is because he has had no vocal training and most likely can\'t hear himself. he sings like mary matlin (the deaf chick) talkes!!! dude, nasally is not a positive attribute when it comes to singing. neither is pulling the back of your tongue up to your soft palette and trying to sing through that. and if you think those are good techniques, then you deserve every bit of ridicule you\'ll get for the rest of you\'re fucking life!!

at least he kinda listened....

and thanks lexx - good lookin\' out!

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2009, 04:10:15 pm »
Quote from: jking;225104
here\'s the kicker. an ex-gf of mine used to be jason mraz\'s best friend. we used to get together and jam pretty often. i couldn\'t stand it!!!!

all he knew were dmb songs and he kept trying to sing just like dave. well, one day i fucking flew off the handle and let mraz know that the only reason dave sings like that is because he has had no vocal training and most likely can\'t hear himself. he sings like mary matlin (the deaf chick) talkes!!! dude, nasally is not a positive attribute when it comes to singing. neither is pulling the back of your tongue up to your soft palette and trying to sing through that. and if you think those are good techniques, then you deserve every bit of ridicule you\'ll get for the rest of you\'re fucking life!!

at least he kinda listened....

and thanks lexx - good lookin\' out!

I agree...why can\'t we have more vocalists like John Mayer instead?
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."