Author Topic: 2009-10 NFL Thread  (Read 18031 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2009, 02:42:48 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;246361
Worst Bill Belichik coaching decision of his career.

Who goes for it on 4th down on your own 30 yd line? When you are up by only 6 points?

Bottom line is that he didn\'t trust his defense...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2009, 02:45:53 pm »
and he trusted brady and the offense. the spot of the ball they gave them is questionable, i thought it was a first down, but you can\'t blame it on the refs. belichik fucked up here.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;246369
and he trusted brady and the offense. the spot of the ball they gave them is questionable, i thought it was a first down, but you can\'t blame it on the refs. belichik fucked up here.

i don\'t think that\'s really fair. it was a gutsy call and it didn\'t work out. he would have been just as wrong if they had punted and the colts scored...the only difference is he wouldn\'t be killed for it because it\'s the safe move. i think he deserves some credit. of course, few coaches in the nfl have the kind of job security that he does, so he can afford to take a risk once in a while
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

tyzack

• http://
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2009, 03:56:34 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;246378
Quote from: Vassillios;246369

i don\'t think that\'s really fair. it was a gutsy call and it didn\'t work out. he would have been just as wrong if they had punted and the colts scored...the only difference is he wouldn\'t be killed for it because it\'s the safe move. i think he deserves some credit. of course, few coaches in the nfl have the kind of job security that he does, so he can afford to take a risk once in a while

Also, going for 4th downs has been a hall-mark of the patriots in 07, 08 and 09.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »
The thing is, if he kicked it, the colts would have had to go 50-70 yards for a TD rather than 20+...  I give him credit for having the guts to make that call, but it was the "wrong" call...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2009, 04:02:23 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;246381
The thing is, if he kicked it, the colts would have had to go 50-70 yards for a TD rather than 20+...  I give him credit for having the guts to make that call, but it was the "wrong" call...

hindsight is 20/20. and keep in mind that they had two previous touchdown drives of 80 yards in the fourth quarter...both lasting about 2 minutes.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2009, 04:14:12 pm »
So you\'d rather give your opponent 20+ yards with 2:00 to go as opposed to 60+ yards?

That being said, my team is sucking wind... Aside from losing to New Orleans by 14 points, we\'ve lost four games by 5 or less points after leading at some point in the 4th quarter...  The Jets could easily be 8-1 or 7-2, yet we\'re essentially done at 4-5... Same old Jets...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:14:12 pm by Yoda »

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2009, 04:19:29 pm »
they should have either made peyton earn that last touchdown by punting or let them score easily so there would be time on the clock for brady to march down the field and at least get in field goal range. poor clock management.

also awful pass interference call during the first colts touchdown drive of the final 4 minute run.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2009, 04:19:53 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;246383
So you\'d rather give your opponent 20+ yards with 2:00 to go as opposed to 60+ yards?

those weren\'t the options and you know it

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2009, 04:43:29 pm »
As a football fan, I love that the Patriots go for it on 4th and short with regularity. However, there is no sane way to give Belichick "credit" for being ballsy in this situation. Sometimes convention is convention for a reason. Why do you think teams don\'t go for two after taking a 6-0 lead in the fourth quarter? I was just talking to somebody who watched the game with Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy (yes, really), and they were both absolutely baffled by the decision.

Punting the ball away tells the Patriots\' defense, "I trust you to win the game". Going for the first down not only tells the defense, "I don\'t trust you", but it also tells Peyton Manning, "You have our number". Peyton Manning doesn\'t need extra confidence boosts.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2009, 04:51:10 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;246389
Quote from: Yoda;246383

those weren\'t the options and you know it

So what were the options?  Do you really assume that they\'ll convert on 4th down?  If you\'re at your own 20 with a lead and 2:00 minutes left, you punt the ball and the colts will most likely start around the colt 40 yard.  You\'ve got a much better chance of your D holding them with some distance to the end zone rather than giving them what essentially would be a slam dunk from the 20...

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2009, 12:32:11 am »
The Giants are disgraceful.

Charles Woodson is the man. Not for making the Lions his bitch today, but he donated $2 million to the University of Michigan\'s childrens hospital. I don\'t care how much money he\'s made. That\'s a big check to write.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2009, 02:44:58 pm »
Chargers wrap up the AFC WEST and looks like the only team they face the rest of the way that may be tough is the bengals.
Home game in the playoffs will be nice.

Saints should beat the pats tonight which is going to be awesome to watch.
Oh and the Niners can set up a game for the Division at home in 2 weeks if they can beat Seattle nxt week since the cards are not beating Favre and the Vikings.

Hell yeah!!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2009, 03:00:16 pm »
Went to my first NFL game yesterday - got hooked up with a Niners ticket.  Weird weather at Candlestick: very warm, sunny and no wind.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2009-10 NFL Thread
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2009, 03:31:12 pm »
Quote from: leith;247540
Oh and the Niners can set up a game for the Division at home in 2 weeks if they can beat Seattle nxt week since the cards are not beating Favre and the Vikings.

Hell yeah!!

w00t! alex smith is finally coming around. finishing the season with DET/STL will be nice also. i just hope they don\'t look past seattle. also, the panthers lost this week...their 2010 first round draft pick is getting better and better