Author Topic: Miscellaneous bands thread  (Read 4600 times)

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Miscellaneous bands thread
« on: October 02, 2004, 10:53:42 pm »
Since I know many of you are SER music afficionados, I figure this forum may be a great place to get answers to many of the music related questions I have stored in my head.  I\'m sure many of you want to find out more about other bands or simply have questions you believe could be answered by the PBreakers.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 11:11:52 pm »
So here they come:

Is Ray\'s Music Exchange led by Ray Manzarek of the Doors?  I am totally guessing here.  

What is Tea Leaf Green about?  I asked Leith about them a week ago but forget what he said.  

Is anyone into Umphrey\'s McGee and what style of music is that.

Has anyone ever noticed some really random bands mentioned on Jambase.com that don\'t seem to fit in there?  

What is the Steve Kimock band about and who is that guy?  I\'ve noticed that he seems to be quite popular from all the attention he gets on Jambase.  I usually figure that some of these people came from other well-known bands prior to starting a band taking on the lead guy\'s name.

Some of the other names I\'ve heard of:  Motet, Particle etc.  Anyone of these guys really funky?

I have heard a little bit of Galactic and didn\'t think they were totally amazing.  Am I underestimating their strengths?

I really like Greyboy and the Karl Denson\'s Tiny Universe offshoot.  Are the other projects such as Robert Walter anything special?

Breakfast opened for Big Wu the other night.  What is their sound?

Railroad Earth looked like a bunch of tool bags so I\'m not even going to bother asking about those folky mofos.

Whatever happened to Amphibian after PB opened for them?  I actually don\'t really want to know much about them.  Hopefully they realized that PB shouldn\'t be opening for them and decided to bow to bands like them.

Is Dark Star Orchestra still cruising around the country?  I went to see them once because some hippies in my dorm needed a ride to the show and I wanted to help them out.  I don\'t know much Dead so it was hard for me to appreciate it like I was supposed to do.  

Has Mokijam made any progress since the Breakfast guys left the band 6-7 years ago?  

I\'m sure I will think of more later.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 11:18:15 pm »
I should add that Tea Leaf Green is playing in S.F. while I am out there this Saturday night so any info. would be appreciated if I am going to consider them.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 02:46:40 am »
http://www.tealeafgreen.com/high.html   Check out some live shows via streaming. You should really check them out in their hometown.

Greyboy is one of the best bands to ever come out of San Diego. Robert Walter\'s 20th Congress pretty funky but not as spaced out as KDTU.
Kimock is a Bay Area guitarist that I first heard of because I had heard he was Jerry\'s favorite guitarist. He was in Donna Jean Godcheaux\'s Heart of Gold Band in the late 70\'s and then formed Zero a Bay Area Mainstay for years.
I would not bother w/Particle but give UM a shot. The first time I heard them I thought they sucked but I have been convinced to give them another shot.
 Stockholm Syndrome,KDTU and Umphrey\'s are all playing together so I will check UM out again.
As for DSO they are still around and kickin\' Dead jams like no other band.
Hope that helps ya.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 03:10:37 am »
I listened to a streaming Tea Leaf show on the web and didn\'t really get too into it, though I would consider giving it another try again soon.  It definitely sounded decent, though the organic, Earthy themes seem a little repetetive.  I probably won\'t check them out in S.F. on Sat. just because it\'s a $20 show which is a lot to check out a band for me.  I\'m used to Breakfast for under $10.  Besides, it\'s hard when Breakfast is the standard that other bands have to live up to.  They are my "gold standard".  Actually, they are probably platinum.  I will sample more live music soon hopefully.  

I don\'t know if I will find another band with the sheer intensity of the Breakfast.  They bring me up so high and never let me down!

leith

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 03:23:07 am »
Originally posted by alexanderzurflu

I don\'t know if I will find another band with the sheer intensity of the Breakfast.  They bring me up so high and never let me down!

You won\'t.

I go see live music nearly every week. Every "jam band " that comes to town I check out just to support our scene. I have alot of fun and find many bands that get me going but everytime I compare them to The Breakfast they all fall short. I even try to not listen to The Breakfast for like a week and then the second I put them on I realize what was bugging me over that week and it was lack of Breakfast really!
Even bands making Millions more than the guys can not compete w/ The Breakfast in what they give you every show. I wonder everytime I put on some Breakfast why these guys have not made it yet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 03:28:46 am by leith »

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 09:19:26 pm »
Anyone have any comments on Bitches Brew by Miles Davis?  I hear this is his fusion period so I am guessing it\'s got some funk to it.

Speaking of Miles Davis, his \'In A Silent Way\' album has a part that sounds like a PB warmup jam on one of the two tracks.

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 10:26:51 pm »
Bitches Brew is outstanding. Seek out. Every Miles Davis album I\'ve heard is worth listening. I also enjoy Sketches of Spain, On the Corner, Porgy and Bess, and, of course, Kind of Blue. And also, In a Silent Way.

leith

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 10:28:56 pm »
I got the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions I can burn for ya when you get out here. I also have a Yo Miles set from the Fillmore 3/4/00 w/ a bunch of top notch players like Kimock playin\' Miles compositions.

aJwvof

• http://
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 05:54:00 pm »
I don\'t dig Tea Leaf Green checked them bc they have done a bunch of shows with The Breakfast and was def. disappointed in their live show (Haymaker this year) and their new album ... I really wanted to like them too

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 10:49:45 pm »
Originally posted by ChrisPitch
Bitches Brew is outstanding. Seek out. Every Miles Davis album I\'ve heard is worth listening. I also enjoy Sketches of Spain, On the Corner, Porgy and Bess, and, of course, Kind of Blue. And also, In a Silent Way.

Try "\'58 Sessions".  10 seconds into Green Dolphin Street, you\'ve melted.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 11:02:39 pm »
Hook me up son!  (Yes I have been playing too much b-ball in New Bedford).

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 01:40:51 pm »
Al, check out Aquarium Rescue Unit. I think you\'ll like them.
Masturbation in the MFA

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 01:41:49 pm »
Also, Garaj Mahal.
Masturbation in the MFA

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 05:11:58 am »
Originally posted by ChrisPitch

wow. didnt think of pitch as a big band fan. sketches of spain :thumbsup:

also - check out my fav miles fusion album, \'on the corner\' - a giant non stop funk jam, beginging to end.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke