Author Topic: THE SOPRANOS SEASON 6 Thread  (Read 36320 times)

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
THE SOPRANOS SEASON 6 Thread
« Reply #315 on: June 11, 2007, 08:05:52 pm »
What is the first best thing about art?
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #316 on: June 11, 2007, 08:07:45 pm »
Well, obviously this is totally subjective. So I should have tagged that with an IMO.

The best thing is that art is so effective as a means of self expression and as an emotional and intellectual outlet.
Masturbation in the MFA

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #317 on: June 11, 2007, 08:14:06 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;148556

The best thing is that art is so effective as a means of self expression and as an emotional and intellectual outlet.

I didnt really have an answer but I was curious to what yours was.....definitely would agree with you
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: June 11, 2007, 08:15:44 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;148456
"From the HBO message boards:

The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2 (DVD players). The trucker had to identify his brother\'s body. The boy scouts were in the train store when Bobby was killed and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear."

pretty sure this was debunked.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #319 on: June 12, 2007, 01:26:52 am »
Masturbation in the MFA

peaches626

« Reply #320 on: June 12, 2007, 02:40:17 am »
taints rule, gypsies drool!

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:23 pm »
the ending pissed me off even more when i watched it for the second time last night.. :mad:

i wanted to like it the second time.. i really did..

a couple things:

the whole nikki leotardo thing is pretty much undeniable horseshit. the guy was credited as "Man in Members Only Jacket". Paolo Colandrea. he is not credited in Episode 72 on the season 6 DVD (not on IMDb either). sorry chip.

holsten\'s doesn\'t even sell onion rings.

http://www.holstens.com/

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #322 on: June 12, 2007, 02:04:13 pm »
the black screen at the end symbolised the show getting whacked.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
Thoughts Following Two Grueling Watches
« Reply #323 on: June 12, 2007, 02:11:40 pm »
OK, let\'s take it one step at a time.

I almost like that Tony and Carm sort of bought out A.J., proving that he was the pretentious phony I assumed all along. But overall, for me it diminishes the dramatic impact of what happened with him in the prior episodes and so I ultimately don\'t like the direction that went.

I also didn’t think it was at all believable that Carlo would flip just cause his son got busted with Ecstasy. I mean, it\'s not like he was facing 20-to-life for that. But then again, how would we know? We didn\'t even see that scene. I guess it was more important to show Hunter, who coincidentally, is played by David Chase\'s daughter. That was certainly a forced scene which added little and was something else I didn’t like.

And though I liked Paulie’s situation with the cat, I thought the stuff between the cat and Chris was beyond stupid.

And overall, I just felt this episode was a bit too timid for a series finale. It definitely lacked intensity. There were very few moments were I felt any emotional reaction to anything, especially in the first half. I didn’t think this episode wasn\'t sharply written. It featured mostly pedestrian dialogue. You can probably pick any Sopranos episode out of a hat—or any episode of most HBO dramas—and chances are it would be better than this one. It was without question one of the weakest Sopranos\' episodes ever and that was set in stone well before the ending.

To be fair, there were some things I did like:

1. The overhead shot of the food with the overheard conversational mumblings.

2. Butch walking from Little Italy to Little China without noticing it. Chase made sure he threw in the whole thing on the bus\'s public address about how the former used to be 40 square blocks and is now just one street, which was great.

3. Agent Harris, who for my money, was the episode\'s MVP and delivered far-and-away the best line with, "We’re gonna win this thing." Hilarious.

4. The SUV\'s explosion was clearly symbolic and ties into much of the political flavor this season has had with frequent mentions of Iraq and oil, which is fine by me.

5. Of course, the Tony and Junior scene, which was unquestionably my favorite one in the episode.

OK, about the ending.

Despite the obvious vision of Tony in a coffin to start things off, there is nothing in this episode to indicate that he would get killed. That would have nullified everything which transpired between Jersey and New York. Plus, I refuse to believe that Chase would kill his main character in the last scene without showing any of the aftermath. That would just be stupid. So, after much deliberation, I’ve concluded that there is no logical reason whatsoever to believe that Tony is dead at the end. You don’t see Meadow come through the door. But she is the last person we see before the last shot with Tony so I can only conclude that he is looking at her. The parallel parking baffles me. It’s obviously a tension builder, but I think that scene had enough tension as it was without needing Meadow\'s parking struggles.

So for me, Chase is actually not leaving the ending open-ended. Granted, I can understand how the abruptness would piss off people and I’m not saying that I thought it was a classic ending. Overall, it was an mediocre episode with an average ending. But I do like how Chase shows how amidst all the turmoil, the Sopranos have survived. Well, at least, they\'ve survived for now. I think Chase did a good job of showing both sides of the coin. On the one hand, the family is reasonably happy to just be alive and together, but on the other hand, this saga for them will never end, especially for Tony, who must always live his life in fear of being killed.

The thing with the very end is, since I don\'t believe Tony is going to get killed and that Meadow will just enter and they\'ll talk about all "the good times" and enjoy the onion rings, I can understand why Chase didn\'t want to fade to black with Journey playing in the background (which I was not big on at all). That would have been a bit too cheery of an ending for an otherwise morose show. So he played it down the middle, showing that the Sopranos are happy all things considered, but that the uneasiness will always be prevalent in Tony. I have to say, that although I didn’t love this ending, that I liked it better than if he had been killed in the last scene (wouldn\'t have minded if it was earlier in the season) and that I also liked it better than if Meadow had come in and they chatted and then faded to black. My initial reaction to the ending was rage, but after a second watch, and much thought, I can actually see why Chase decided to go that route. He definitely ended the show on an uncomfortable and anxious note, which does undoubtedly fits the nature of the show.

Again, I completely understand how people could think it was left open-ended and how infuriating that is. The last scene had tension, tension, tension, and then no release. It\'s more than fair to say that the Sopranos is an all-time show, which jerked around its audience at times, and then had a chance to make it all good by going out in a way that would absolutely wow it\'s loyal audience—which has put up with inconsistency in the latter seasons and longer breaks between seasons than occur between most movie sequels—and then failed to do so. I totally understand how some people could feel that Chase didn\'t have the conviction to trust either of his two possible endings and consequently decided to go with no ending.

But what I\'m saying is entirely predicated on the notion that if Tony was going to die, he would have died already and I believe there is a plethora of evidence to support that claim. I do not think that Tony died. I think Meadow just came in and they talked, and considering that we know what would have transpired then, there really wasn\'t any reason to show what happened. Instead, we end with the anxiety that has been prevalent in the protagonist’s head since the show\'s first scene.

In numerous ways, this episode disappointed me. It was comparatively one of the weakest episodes of the series and hate when I get that from a finale. And overall, the latter seasons were not nearly as good as the first. But then again, the show created an early body of work that anybody would have been hard-pressed to match. And to its credit, the show never traveled down the road of cliché and Chase made sure that continued through the end, as bitter as that ending turned out to be for most viewers.

**** out of *****

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #324 on: June 12, 2007, 11:01:56 pm »
being my first chance to chime in on this thread all I can really say is I\'m really dissapointed.  I contacted numerous people in other parts of the country to see if their cable went out.  I had myself convinced that there was a problem with HBO\'s feed or something, cause they wouldn\'t actually end it that way!!!  Many of the points Dave brought up I had mentioned to people before coming on here.  at least let Meadow get in sit down, or not but christ at least let her get in the door.  I\'m pretty annoyed at the way this whole thing went down.  I\'m just gonna pretend the 2nd to last episode was the last, now if you wanna "leave it to the viewer" do it that way.  The intensity of Tony sitting on the coverless bed gun in hand with that creepy horror movie music was perfect.  I think that portrays the state of mind that Tony is generally in (obviously greatly elivated) Again I agree with Dave, you wrote you tell us how it ends.  

My feeling of frustration goes beyond merely the end, the episode was weak.  It had it\'s moments that were gems, but all in all nothing special.  and yeah it\'s about the journey (:rolleyes:) but that\'s our last moment with these characters that have become such a part of our lives?  

Like I said I\'m pretending the 2nd to last was the last.

all for now.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #325 on: June 13, 2007, 08:59:14 am »
Quote from: ChrisPitch;148703
OK, let\'s take it one step at a time.

I almost like that Tony and Carm sort of bought out A.J., proving that he was the pretentious phony I assumed all along. But overall, for me it diminishes the dramatic impact of what happened with him in the prior episodes and so I ultimately don\'t like the direction that went.

I also didn’t think it was at all believable that Carlo would flip just cause his son got busted with Ecstasy. I mean, it\'s not like he was facing 20-to-life for that. But then again, how would we know? We didn\'t even see that scene. I guess it was more important to show Hunter, who coincidentally, is played by David Chase\'s daughter. That was certainly a forced scene which added little and was something else I didn’t like.

And though I liked Paulie’s situation with the cat, I thought the stuff between the cat and Chris was beyond stupid.

And overall, I just felt this episode was a bit too timid for a series finale. It definitely lacked intensity. There were very few moments were I felt any emotional reaction to anything, especially in the first half. I didn’t think this episode wasn\'t sharply written. It featured mostly pedestrian dialogue. You can probably pick any Sopranos episode out of a hat—or any episode of most HBO dramas—and chances are it would be better than this one. It was without question one of the weakest Sopranos\' episodes ever and that was set in stone well before the ending.

To be fair, there were some things I did like:

1. The overhead shot of the food with the overheard conversational mumblings.

2. Butch walking from Little Italy to Little China without noticing it. Chase made sure he threw in the whole thing on the bus\'s public address about how the former used to be 40 square blocks and is now just one street, which was great.

3. Agent Harris, who for my money, was the episode\'s MVP and delivered far-and-away the best line with, "We’re gonna win this thing." Hilarious.

4. The SUV\'s explosion was clearly symbolic and ties into much of the political flavor this season has had with frequent mentions of Iraq and oil, which is fine by me.

5. Of course, the Tony and Junior scene, which was unquestionably my favorite one in the episode.

OK, about the ending.

Despite the obvious vision of Tony in a coffin to start things off, there is nothing in this episode to indicate that he would get killed. That would have nullified everything which transpired between Jersey and New York. Plus, I refuse to believe that Chase would kill his main character in the last scene without showing any of the aftermath. That would just be stupid. So, after much deliberation, I’ve concluded that there is no logical reason whatsoever to believe that Tony is dead at the end. You don’t see Meadow come through the door. But she is the last person we see before the last shot with Tony so I can only conclude that he is looking at her. The parallel parking baffles me. It’s obviously a tension builder, but I think that scene had enough tension as it was without needing Meadow\'s parking struggles.

So for me, Chase is actually not leaving the ending open-ended. Granted, I can understand how the abruptness would piss off people and I’m not saying that I thought it was a classic ending. Overall, it was an mediocre episode with an average ending. But I do like how Chase shows how amidst all the turmoil, the Sopranos have survived. Well, at least, they\'ve survived for now. I think Chase did a good job of showing both sides of the coin. On the one hand, the family is reasonably happy to just be alive and together, but on the other hand, this saga for them will never end, especially for Tony, who must always live his life in fear of being killed.

The thing with the very end is, since I don\'t believe Tony is going to get killed and that Meadow will just enter and they\'ll talk about all "the good times" and enjoy the onion rings, I can understand why Chase didn\'t want to fade to black with Journey playing in the background (which I was not big on at all). That would have been a bit too cheery of an ending for an otherwise morose show. So he played it down the middle, showing that the Sopranos are happy all things considered, but that the uneasiness will always be prevalent in Tony. I have to say, that although I didn’t love this ending, that I liked it better than if he had been killed in the last scene (wouldn\'t have minded if it was earlier in the season) and that I also liked it better than if Meadow had come in and they chatted and then faded to black. My initial reaction to the ending was rage, but after a second watch, and much thought, I can actually see why Chase decided to go that route. He definitely ended the show on an uncomfortable and anxious note, which does undoubtedly fits the nature of the show.

Again, I completely understand how people could think it was left open-ended and how infuriating that is. The last scene had tension, tension, tension, and then no release. It\'s more than fair to say that the Sopranos is an all-time show, which jerked around its audience at times, and then had a chance to make it all good by going out in a way that would absolutely wow it\'s loyal audience—which has put up with inconsistency in the latter seasons and longer breaks between seasons than occur between most movie sequels—and then failed to do so. I totally understand how some people could feel that Chase didn\'t have the conviction to trust either of his two possible endings and consequently decided to go with no ending.

But what I\'m saying is entirely predicated on the notion that if Tony was going to die, he would have died already and I believe there is a plethora of evidence to support that claim. I do not think that Tony died. I think Meadow just came in and they talked, and considering that we know what would have transpired then, there really wasn\'t any reason to show what happened. Instead, we end with the anxiety that has been prevalent in the protagonist’s head since the show\'s first scene.

In numerous ways, this episode disappointed me. It was comparatively one of the weakest episodes of the series and hate when I get that from a finale. And overall, the latter seasons were not nearly as good as the first. But then again, the show created an early body of work that anybody would have been hard-pressed to match. And to its credit, the show never traveled down the road of cliché and Chase made sure that continued through the end, as bitter as that ending turned out to be for most viewers.

**** out of *****

Now that\'s some fuckin solid analysis for ya!

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2007, 02:13:10 pm »
another take on the last episode, mainly the restaurant sequence.

http://aphorisic.livejournal.com/189395.html
Smell my mule.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Think Tony Soprano\'s dead? You might be right!
« Reply #327 on: June 15, 2007, 01:48:26 pm »
Quote from: Reuters

LOS ANGELES, California -- Fans of "The Sopranos" are seizing on clues suggesting the controversial blackout which abruptly ended the TV mob drama meant that Tony Soprano was rubbed out, and HBO said Thursday they may be on to something.

One clue in particular, a flashback in the penultimate episode to a conversation between Tony and his brother-in-law about death, gained credence as an HBO spokesman called it a "legitimate" hint and confirmed that series creator David Chase had a definite ending in mind.

"While he won\'t say to me 100 percent what it all means, he says some people who\'ve guessed have come closer than others," HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer told Reuters after speaking to Chase.

"There are definitely things there that he intended for people to pick up on," Schaffer said. (Watch viewers try to make sense of the end Video)

Chase himself suggested as much in an interview Tuesday with The Star-Ledger newspaper of New Jersey when he said of his end to the HBO series, "Anyone who wants to watch it, it\'s all there."

In the final moments of Sunday\'s concluding episode, Tony, the conflicted mob boss who has just survived a round of gangland warfare, sits in a diner with his family munching on onion rings as the 1980s song by rock band Journey, "Don\'t Stop Believin\'," blares from a juke box.

Tension builds as a suspicious man wearing a "Members Only" jacket eyes Tony from a nearby counter before slipping into a restroom. Then, as Tony looks toward the restaurant\'s entrance, the screen abruptly goes blank in mid-scene -- with no picture or sound for 10 seconds -- until the credits roll silently.

Stunned viewers, many initially believing something had gone wrong with their cable TV reception, were left wondering whether Tony ended up "whacked" or whether his sordid life went on as usual.

Even star James Gandolfini wasn\'t sure.

"You have to ask (\'The Sopranos\' creator) David Chase that. Smarter minds than mine know the answer to that," Gandolfini told the New York Daily News. "I thought it was a great ending. You decide."

The jarring, fill-in-the-blank finale, concluding a show widely hailed as America\'s greatest television drama, sparked a furious debate about whether Chase had conceived of an actual ending and whether he left the audience any clues.

The biggest hint, according to a consensus taking shape on the Web, is a scene from an earlier episode in which Tony and his brother-in-law, Bobby "Bacala" Baccalieri, muse about what it feels like to die.

"At the end, you probably don\'t hear anything, everything just goes black," Bobby says while they sit fishing in a small boat on a lake.

That scene is recalled briefly in a flashback played at the end of the penultimate "Sopranos" episode, as Tony is lying in the darkened room of a safehouse clutching a machine gun to his chest in the midst of a mob war.

"I think that is one of the most legitimate things to look at," Schaffer said when asked about theories that the Bobby Bacala flashback was meant to foreshadow Tony\'s death.

Moreover, he said the man in the "Members Only" jacket could be interpreted as a symbolic reference to membership in the mob. "Members Only" also was the title of the episode in which Tony\'s demented Uncle Junior shoots him in the gut.

The "Members Only" guy was played by the owner of a real-life pizza parlor, Paolo Colandrea. Schaffer denied reports that Colandrea had appeared earlier in the series as the nephew of Tony\'s New York gang rival, or that there ever was such a character. He also dismissed reports that Chase had filmed more than one ending to the finale.

CNN Link

Interesting Reuters Link

This was basically the conclusion I came to a few hours into Monday about the ending. I was not sure if Tony was whacked, the audience or the show.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: June 15, 2007, 02:12:47 pm »
"At the end, you probably don\'t hear anything, everything just goes black," Bobby says while they sit fishing in a small boat on a lake.

jesus fucking christ, is it really that fucking hard for people to fucking check their facts before they type?!

BOBBY NEVER FUCKING SAID THAT!!!

the line:

"You probably don\'t even hear it when it happens, eh?"

THAT\'S IT.

i love how people love to make shit up in order to support their asinine theories..

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #329 on: June 15, 2007, 02:22:39 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;149046

jesus fucking christ, is it really that fucking hard for people to fucking check their facts before they type?!

BOBBY NEVER FUCKING SAID THAT!!!

the line:

"You probably don\'t even hear it when it happens, eh?"

THAT\'S IT.

i love how people love to make shit up in order to support their asinine theories..

I was wondering what the actual dialogue was between Bobby and Tony in the boat. Didn\'t Tony mention something like "Why don\'t you ask your friend the worm down there?" or something. I\'m going to watch on demand right now.