Author Topic: Phish is over it.  (Read 7846 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Phish is over it.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2004, 12:58:56 pm »
Having seen Phish since 91\' I can honestly say that I feel this is right for them. I have seen them grow from a funny little "stoner" band playing tricks and goofing off to the arena commanding performers they have become. I suffered through the whole Deadhead/Phishhead growing pains when JG died and spent many miles on the road. Through it all, every show I attended had that tingle of excitement coming from the stage and towards it. Until the past couple years. The last i say 6 shows I went to that energy was seeping away for numerous reasons but for me it was because there was no excited expectatations of a band firing on all cylinders. I was able to see GD for 10 years and Phish for 13 in this i feel really lucky to have seen 2 of the most prolific Rock bands of the last century. Things come to and end and every end is a new beginning. I for one remember my B-day a few years back seeing TAB @ the Greek during the hiatus and realizing that energy I had talked about was EVERYWHERE! 4 guys from VT have set the stage for 4 guys from CT. Here\'s to the Memories beer
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
Phish is over it.
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2004, 01:29:35 pm »
i seriously doubt there done for good..guaranteed in a coupla years when there jonesin to play again as phish,thell do it.they probably just need another break,for some reason.anotrher official hiatus would be soo cheesy.so this way thell really suprise everyone..peck,tansley,and everuyone else,relax.!!btw,raq DOESNOTsuck,there pretty ser actually.sttps is the man.guitar is ser too..oh yea and as much as i hate to admit it,if phish really is done,i think db will be the new kings.kids nowadays are just lookin for a decent band to catch a buzz to and db is it.kinda sucks actually..
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
Phish is over it.
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2004, 01:50:32 pm »
My first Phish show was @ the Fabulous Fox theater in Atlanta back on 11/9/95.  The only reason I ever even saw them was because Jerry had just died & there was no more GD to see.  As much as I like music in general, until recently I have always been a "1 band man" so to speak... meaning, that I tend to fixate on a band & only make it a point to go out of my way to see them.  

Phish was that band for me from that night in 1995 up until they started getting all spaced out & funky in 1997ish.  That is just not my musical style of choice... too laid back for me.  It was at this time that my "1 band" switched to Panic.  Anyway, like Wolfy noted, 95% of Phish\'s best stuff came pre-1994.  Once they lost that fire about them, the sound has gone downhill ever since.  I have read many articles & interviews with Trey where he admits that the change was not so much a calculated thing, but more of a "we don\'t want to practice as much as it takes to play like that anymore."  Good for them that came to a point in their careers where they felt they didn\'t have to practice anymore, but it was because they used to play like "that" that I liked them so much.

I probably saw about 30-40 shows over the years in just about every part of the country.  But, once I got into Panic, I only saw them when it was convenient.  Afterall, by that time I was getting what I used to get from old school Phish from this new band called "PB", maybe some of you have heard of them...

That being said, although I may joke on them and their crazed fans who seem to love it no matter how downhill their sound goes, they will always hold a special place in my musical heart.  When they were hitting on all cyliders, technically speaking I consider them the greatest band to ever walk the earth.  They never did have the "soul" that Panic has in their songwriting though.  I can only take so many songs with stupid, incoherant lyrics before it gets old.  And, their attempts at serious song writing (ala Farmhouse, Ghost) were weak at best.

The last show I saw was 7/1/00 @ The Meadows in Hartford.  This was a great show for me... not so much because Phish sounded great (I seem to remember both shows being filled with "ambient jam" BLAH), but because that\'s where I met the girl who is now my wife. :)  

These days my status of "1 band man" has changed to "2 band man".  I am still a Panic fan at the core, but find that I may actually be listening to more Breakfast these days than anything else.... ssssshhhhhhhh, I can\'t have that getting out.... ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 01:59:15 pm by Marcial »
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
Phish is over it.
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2004, 04:37:25 pm »
Originally posted by boombox
Gotta disagree  weekapaug. Leave the techno to the biscuits and moe. -

whooaa....hold on....moe. techno?....i don\'t think so:confused:

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
Phish is over it.
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2004, 04:41:36 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
[B
i always pictured myself \'growing old\' with phish - going to shows well into my 30\'s and whatnot..

oh boy do you have a lot to learn about what growing old is ;)

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Phish is over it.
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2004, 04:46:36 pm »
Okay, well it seems like a majority of us will be in Coventry along with ridiculous amounts of other people, I suggest a Breakfast Fans carpool (not in the exact meaning of the word), more or less where we all meet up in say. . . I dunno Amherst or such, have our line of 15 or whatver cars follow each other, and have one big happy Breakfast circle of tents in Coventry. Just a thought, plenty of time to think about it and plan it, but let\'s not also forget to tag our Fab 4 along for some daytime/late night jamming. . .
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

galenas

• Global Moderator
Phish is over it.
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2004, 05:23:49 pm »
merging ant and wolf\'s ideas -- let\'s make this into a little biking trip. we might as well exercise our bodies before we waste them at the festival!

Rujah

• team digest
Phish is over it.
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2004, 09:37:41 pm »
Take it easy and don\'t freak. I thought Jerry\'s death was the end of the scene but from it spawned Phil and Frends, Ratdog, The Dead, Phish, String Cheese, moe., Gov\'t Mule, etc. etc. etc. and the scene is stronger then ever. The Jam Band scene is much bigger today then any one group and it seems to get better as groups break up and form again.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

davepeck

• Administrator
Phish is over it.
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2004, 06:48:17 am »
anyone catch trey on charlie rose last night? he said a bunch of times that he\'s 100% sure about this.. that he knows he made the right decision.. said most of the band agreed, but mike wanted to keep it together and work at bringing it back to life.. trey mentioned getting older, and taking care of his 2 kids, and not having the time to put into phish that it deserves.. he said there\'s no bigger phish fan than himself - no one loves phish more than he does, but he\'s seen too many people drag things out way past their prime, and he didn\'t want to do that with phish. he said that big cypress was it. he walked off stage at 7am and looked at fish, and they both had tears in their eyes, and both said that that was it. that was the peak. they\'d never top that. they considered stopping after that, but decided to go on for a little bit before the hiatus..

charlie rose must be a phish fan. the first thing he asked trey was if there was anything he could do to change his mind... part 2 of the interview will be shown over the weekend.

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
Phish is over it.
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2004, 11:51:10 am »
My bad, duane, but IMHO Moe = semi-techno. Some of their Recreational Chemistry\'s verge on the biscuits\' jams.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Phish is over it.
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2004, 12:04:05 pm »
sometimes they definitely have the thunkathunkathunka.....
Masturbation in the MFA

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Phish is over it.
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2004, 12:39:01 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
anyone catch trey on charlie rose last night? he said a bunch of times that he\'s 100% sure about this.. that he knows he made the right decision.. said most of the band agreed, but mike wanted to keep it together and work at bringing it back to life.. trey mentioned getting older, and taking care of his 2 kids, and not having the time to put into phish that it deserves.. he said there\'s no bigger phish fan than himself - no one loves phish more than he does, but he\'s seen too many people drag things out way past their prime, and he didn\'t want to do that with phish. he said that big cypress was it. he walked off stage at 7am and looked at fish, and they both had tears in their eyes, and both said that that was it. that was the peak. they\'d never top that. they considered stopping after that, but decided to go on for a little bit before the hiatus..

charlie rose must be a phish fan. the first thing he asked trey was if there was anything he could do to change his mind... part 2 of the interview will be shown over the weekend.

Great interview. It was awesome to hear Trey validate my theory that Big Cypress was the pinnacle for this band. Upon leaving I told my friends that that was THE BEST CONCERT EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. If it was for me and i had gone to over 500 concerts(not just Phish of course) by then in my life, it had to be pretty significant to the 4 up on stage. I was right up front @ Big Cypress and watching the guys for those 2 days have the time of their life. I knew that any Phish after this would pale and I was correct. I love the fact that they are going out on a high note. Destiny Unbound for last song?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
Phish is over it.
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2004, 12:42:32 pm »
Originally posted by oldnewbie
Originally posted by boombox
Gotta disagree  weekapaug. Leave the techno to the biscuits and moe. -

whooaa....hold on....moe. techno?....i don\'t think so:confused:

First, im not saying go full blown techno, but I do like when they start up a jam with it and then blow into someother type (exe. bubuques).  I certainly don\'t want them to be like the biscuts because personally, i dont really like them too much, although i\'ve only heard one set of their music and their terrible set at the jammey\'s.

Now moe., techno??  come on now......their pure out guitar, and that\'s why they will be the next "Big Thing".  I thought SCI might have had a chance, but their sound is getting too plain (IMO).

Now on to Raq....please give them a chance.  Their music has evolved soo frecian much since they started.  Stoops is frecian insane on keys (reminds me of an octopus while playing).  When they started, they had Marc Scortino on keys (who was my high school english teacher), and he is the reason they sounded like Phish.  Now with Stoops, it\'s a whole different sound, which is very aggressive.  

If this made no sense, sorry, but i cant\' proofread it, lunch break is over
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Phish is over it.
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2004, 06:30:35 pm »
Raq is good.  Raq is good, yeah Raq is good, yeeeaaahhh Raq is good.  Looking forward to their next co-bill with The Breakfast!  Raq and AGP are definitely the best bands to pair up with The Breakfast for a show.  Uncle Sammy (RIP) and Flowmotion are just 1 notch behind, Nero one more notch but still a very good pairing.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
Phish is over it.
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2004, 11:36:23 pm »
First, im not saying go full blown techno, but I do like when they start up a jam with it and then blow into someother type (exe. bubuques).

so you mean synthesizer type shit? i\'m cool with that. jocelyn is definately right though, just say NO.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice