Author Topic: Joe Satriani Sues Coldplay  (Read 7651 times)

frolfer

• breakfast geek
Joe Satriani Sues Coldplay
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 09:03:54 am »
Wow, that Marty Balin video is so lame. I like the Airplane but what the hell happened to the guy? Nice feathered mullet! The guard should\'ve locked him in so he could get it on with his guitar.
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 09:44:03 am »
i would have thought Bono would be the first to sue Coldplay.

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 10:03:24 am »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;213314
coldplay sucks :vomit2:

Double :vomit2:

All their songs sound the same to me. Although, I don\'t have a musical bone in my body, so I could be wrong. But it all sounds like the same mush.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 11:53:55 am »
Quote from: davepeck;213319
i would have thought Bono would be the first to sue Coldplay.

:point:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 12:33:51 pm »
But then the guy who invented the douche bag would sue Bono, and the whole vicious cycle, much like the wheel in the sky, would keep on turning.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

mudd

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 12:36:17 pm »
smart move, satch

guess who\'s career just got a boost?

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 02:54:09 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;213283
if i was coldplay\'s guitarist, i\'d listen to that mixed version and think "damn why didn\'t i play it like that?"

that\'s what i was thinking too ha...and i like coldplay.

inthewhitelodge

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 04:12:50 pm »
Quote from: mudd;213330
smart move, satch

guess who\'s career just got a boost?

True! I love SATCH. Flying in a Blue dream is my fave.

Can\'t forget about Steve Vai, his prodigious student!
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

estahwhaddup

• probably the only asian
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 05:08:33 pm »
"do you know how i know you\'re gay?  you listen to coldplay" --40 year old virgin
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley

tmn8r1

• Guitar Slave
    • http://www.thebreakfast.org
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 05:17:27 pm »
My take is this, shit happens. I can name tunes i wrote that resemble a song, i do my best to make sure it doesn\'t, but its not always in a composer\'s control. If I never a heard a song before, and something i write is similar, what am i going to do. its pure coincidence. sometimes like they said with cryptomnesia a melody once heard can surface subconsciously - so that can be the case some of the time. now do i feel suing over an subconscious mistake is right - no - but legal precedent has been that you do. George Harrison, John Fogardy, Verve, etc didn\'t intentionally rip anything off. some people do intentionally rip off other peoples music. with joe and coldplay - i think it is purely coincidence but oh well - let a jury of their peers decide - tis the american process at work (so is suing but that is another topic). we can all name a bunch of tunes that are so similar it seems plagiarizing has taken place. maybe its a form a flattery :) just kidding. there are only so many notes to use, in so many rythmic patterns, over so many chords, and with the amount of people in this world writing original music daily, its bound to happen quite frequently if you ask me. only not everyone gets radio play and success so we don\'t even know how many cases of this cryptomnesia, plagiarizing, or musical synchronicities are actually being committed daily.

there is nothing new under the sun - its just being discovered.

the modern day composer refuses to die.

peace
When words leave off, music begins. - Heinrich Heine

inthewhitelodge

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 06:26:47 pm »
indeed indeed. Seems more likely that a review board will decide, not a jury of peers. I am not sure if these things require a formal jury trial. Oh well, there are only so many notes on the scale. Or are there more than we even realize??? muhaha
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 07:48:23 pm »
from http://www.straight.com/article/coldplay-stone-cold-hit-machine
a few moments later, when asked what he and his band members have contributed to rock history, he admits they\'ve added nothing new.

In keeping with this conflicted self-regard, Martin last year told Rolling Stone that he reckons himself and his mates "incredibly good plagiarists", a claim supported by the songs on their most recent album, X&Y. When speaking of Coldplay, critics invariably return to the band\'s indebtedness to U2, pointing to Martin\'s grandly unsubtle oration, Buckland\'s chiming guitar tones, and Berryman\'s melodic bass playing. That\'s to say nothing of X&Y\'s more wide-ranging references; take, for example, "Fix You", which contains liturgical organ sounds à la Radiohead, a swelling crescendo of guitars that recalls a toned-down Mogwai, and a locked-arm sing-along coda reminiscent of Manchester Britpop forerunners James.

Most startling of all the allusions on the album is to Johnny Cash, for whom Martin wrote the disc-ending "\'Til Kingdom Come", a sublimely faithful rendering of the country icon\'s vulnerable masculinity. More than anything else he\'s ever penned, that song suggests that Martin will only get better as his frame of reference expands.

"I think if you plagiarize from enough different places, you can get away with it," he claims of his serial thievery. "I\'m very glad to be a plagiarist. When you read about Bob Dylan, that\'s all he was doing, taking from old American traditions. I think that\'s the tradition in all oral and spoken arts-you just build on what came before. In music, there\'s only so many notes to play."

Martin is only half-right here; Bob Dylan (like all artists) is indebted to what came before him, but if he had not developed his own formal and narrative style-if he had not invested his music with something deeply personal-he would be nothing more than a historical footnote. As it stands, if Martin dropped dead tomorrow, he would be remembered for his two world-conquering hits ("Yellow" and "Clocks"), for his three successively more polished and consistent albums, and as the husband of Gwyneth Paltrow. Not bad, sure, but his musical accomplishments only hint at what his melodic gifts-which rate among the keenest in pop music\'s last 15 years-might one day yield, if only he allows himself to be challenged.

Coldplay is incredibly shallow music marketed for the masses and that a**hole has a lot of nerve comparing himself to Dylan.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

tmn8r1

• Guitar Slave
    • http://www.thebreakfast.org
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 10:46:50 pm »
review board correct - either way - i say they duke it out in a ring with crushed glass gloves like kickboxer with jean claude van damme.
When words leave off, music begins. - Heinrich Heine

kartoon42

• overexposed
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;213314
coldplay sucks :vomit2:

:that:
break it down, simplify

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 03:06:49 pm »
Ever see that episode of Reno 911

Where Kenny Rogers is complaining that Lionel Richies song Lady is a rip off of his song Woman?