Author Topic: Hemidemisemiquaver  (Read 546 times)

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
Hemidemisemiquaver
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:58:01 pm »
I believe this applies to The Breakfast slowhands:

hemidemisemiquaver \\hem-ih-dem-ih-SEM-ih-kway-ver\\ noun

: a musical note with the time value of 1/64 of a whole note : sixty-fourth note

Example sentence:
The pianist\'s fingers became a blur flying over the keys as she played the difficult hemidemisemiquavers of the allegro movement.

Did you know?
Hemidemisemiquavers are the fastest musical notes that are commonly played, and performing them well can stretch human technique to its limit. The term is mainly used in Britain, where eighth notes are called "quavers," sixteenth notes are called "semiquavers," and thirty-second notes are called "demisemiquavers." In the United States, "hemidemisemiquaver" is likely to be used humorously, occurring especially as a clever substitute for "moment" or "bit," as in "the concert ended not a hemidemisemiquaver too soon."
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Hemidemisemiquaver
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 06:10:24 pm »
yup. That\'s right next to the H chord in music lore.

H is the next highest chord over a G, used by name only in german music. By all other western staves it is called an "A"
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke