Author Topic: Classic Albums: Frank Zappa - Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation DVD [05/01/07]  (Read 2022 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
just saw this today.. first i\'ve heard about it. comes out tuesday.

"This is where you go to find every aspect of Frank\'s music squeezed into two perfectly formed records."Dweezil Zappa. This new addition to Eagle Vision\'s acclaimed Classic Albums series focuses on Frank Zappa\'s early seventies albums "Overnite Sensation" (1973) and "Apostrophe(`)" (1974). Together they encapsulate Zappa\'s extraordinary musical diversity and were also the two most commercially successful albums that he released in his prolific career. As ever the program uses interviews, musical demonstrations, rare archive and home movie footage plus live performances to tell the story behind the conception and recording of these groundbreaking albums. TRACKLISTING: Features excerpts from: -Dinah-Moe Humm -I\'m The Slime -Montana -St Alfonzo\'s Pancake Breakfast -Dirty Love -Cosmic Debris -Stink-Foot & more.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Might be good. Would much rather see the Roxy DVD or a pairing of Overnite Sensation and One Size Fits All.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
Quote from: TreyChica;143540
Might be good. Would much rather see the Roxy DVD or a pairing of Overnite Sensation and One Size Fits All.

of course you would....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
Quote from: davepeck;143523

"This is where you go to find every aspect of Frank\'s music squeezed into two perfectly formed records."Dweezil Zappa. This new addition to Eagle Vision\'s acclaimed Classic Albums series focuses on Frank Zappa\'s early seventies albums "Overnite Sensation" (1973) and "Apostrophe(`)" (1974). Together they encapsulate Zappa\'s extraordinary musical diversity and were also the two most commercially successful albums that he released in his prolific career. As ever the program uses interviews, musical demonstrations, rare archive and home movie footage plus live performances to tell the story behind the conception and recording of these groundbreaking albums. TRACKLISTING: Features excerpts from: -Dinah-Moe Humm -I\'m The Slime -Montana -St Alfonzo\'s Pancake Breakfast -Dirty Love -Cosmic Debris -Stink-Foot & more.

I hope these songs arn\'t cut off. that would be real dick.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

davepeck

• Administrator
Quote from: Gfunk;143554

I hope these songs arn\'t cut off. that would be real dick.

the \'classic albums\' dvds are documentaries.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
ohhhh. in that case, i hope i see this shit on vh1.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
im waiting for the american beauty/anthem classic album comin on tuesday.
on a sidenote,apostrophe=my favorite fz
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure

Is this item in-stock at the Blubladan Boutique?  :D
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Quote from: Stephengencs;143549
Quote from: TreyChica;143540

of course you would....

Immensly dislikes Apostrophe....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
(\') is a sweet bass solo man. Er, or are you talking about the album as a whole? First copy I owned was the double album cd (\')/overnite, so the two albums work together for me as one stellar piece. Individually I\'m not that impressed with either of them.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
Classic Albums: Frank Zappa - Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation DVD [05/01/07]
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 01:28:42 pm »
apostrophe is the shit. i dunno how someonecould think otherwise, but hey i\'ll beat bdfree to it: "everyone is entitled to their own opinion,"
i agree about one size fits all, tho. easily one of the best

freddie, that avatar is pheady
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 01:28:42 pm by Lexington »
caress me, aunt jemima

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 11:32:46 pm »
Apostrophe the song and Uncle Remus are the only good songs on the album. The rest is a bunch of over indulgent, dadaist nonsense, mixed with slapstick humor that unfortunately became what Zappa was recognized for in mainstream media and music.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 03:46:31 am »
Well you have to look at the two Zappas... the satirist and the song writer. This emphasizes the first. You and I.... look to the latter...

Sidenote: Joe dislikes Apostrophe because it\'s too easy.... ;)
Masturbation in the MFA

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 04:04:32 pm »
The album took conceptual continuity to the next level, but yeah, lacked any real musical direction.  I personally like to take a bite out of Civilization Phase III every once in awhile so I can appreciate the simplistic side of Frank.

Go Valley Girl!! Fer Sure, Fer Sure!!

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 01:14:13 am »
its definitely not the best of either the satirist nor song writing sides of zappa, buts its classic. cosmik debris is one of my favorite FZ tunes (at least when i\'m driving alone). if anything, overnite sensation is the bummer for me. the songs are obviosly great but i feel like the album has an over produced sound. i dunno, they should make a Hot Rats/Grand Wazoo/ Waka Jawaka dvd
caress me, aunt jemima