Author Topic: 2007 nfl draft  (Read 3578 times)

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2007 nfl draft
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:53:10 pm »
cuz the draft needs its own thread

who\'s your team? what are they taking (first)? what would you like to see them do?

49ers...probably a defensive lineman, maybe a linebacker (okoye, carriker, grant have been names i\'ve seen - i don\'t know much about college football)...there will continue to be a focus on defense with nolan as coach, but we may look to add an OT also...i\'d love to see a move up to get calvin johnson
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Rujah

• team digest
    • http://
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:46:54 pm »
Lions fan here. We got the second pick. Looks like we will be taking Joe Thomas, an offensive lineman from Wisconsin , which will most likely fill up the holes left my our 10+ fullback being released and signing with Miami.  As long as we don\'t take Calvin Johnson or some other receiver.  I kind of hope we Russell is there but definitely hope we do not take Quinn.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:25:44 am »
this might interest you rujah...it\'s from profootballtalk.com (3/21 rumor mill), a pretty good nfl website i just found a couple days ago:

"DETROIT TO PULL A DOUBLE TRADE DOWN?

There\'s a theory making the rounds in league circles that the Detroit Lions could pull off a rare move from the No. 2 overall spot in the draft.

First, there\'s a belief that the Lions eventually will trade the pick to the Browns, flip-flopping with Cleveland the No. 2 and No. 3 selections.  The Browns would use the No. 2 pick to snare Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn.

Second, the Lions would hold an auction at No. 3 for the rights to receiver Calvin Johnson.  Potential candidates include the Bucs at No. 4, the Redskins at No. 6, the Vikings at No. 7,  and the Falcons at No. 8.

In theory, the Lions could use interest from a team like the Falcons to leverage an even better deal out of the Bucs, and then the Lions could draft left tackle Joe Thomas from the No. 4 spot.

The end result?  The Lions would end up with the guy that they have coveted all along, they would pay him at a slot two spots lower than No. 2, and they would get a bunch of extra picks and/or players in the process.

It might be as hard for the Lions to pull this off as the roommate swap, but if CEO Matt Millen can do it he just might end up with a lifetime contract."

that actually sounds like a smart idea...so i\'m positive the lions won\'t pull it off

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:58:37 am »
49ers aren\'t even going to resign Frank Gore.  If they don\'t make the playoffs this year, I see them at the bottom of the division for several more years to come.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:23:18 pm »
i heard frank gore (whose agent is drew rosenhaus) wants to be the highest paid RB in the NFL...if that\'s the case, then i\'ll be content with michael robinson (our backup now)...our emphasis is on defense now anyway

maybe if we could somehow get ruben droughns on our team...that would solve all of our problems!

let\'s try to keep this on topic, NickNels...what are the giants doing in april?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:23:18 pm by zuke583 »

Rujah

• team digest
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:35:23 pm »
if the lions can pull off that move I would be impressed. the guy they want will still be there (thomas) and all they would have to do is trade down and acqure future draft picks, which will definitely be useful with the high draft picks they seem to have every season.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

NickNels

2007 nfl draft
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:04:35 pm »
Michael Robinson is not even a 1/4 of what Frank Gore is...it would be a Giant mistake to let him walk.  If he wants to be the highest paid player, i\'d say do it.  What else are you spending your money on?  Just structure it in a way where it is not going to kill your cap. I.E. signing bonus, incentives, back-loading the deal.

The Giants are going to be great.  We just made (or are making) Eli Manning one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL...he\'s proved his worth.  We also signed Reuben Droughns.  You remember him, he rushed for 1,400 yrds. 3 yrs. ago with Denver...if you can rush for 1,400 yrds in Denver, you can do it anywhere.  We resigned our center too...Bottom line, this is a SuperBowl contending team.  Pretty much ZERO question marks here, just greatness.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:14:13 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;139651
Michael Robinson is not even a 1/4 of what Frank Gore is...it would be a Giant mistake to let him walk.  If he wants to be the highest paid player, i\'d say do it.

gore has had one entire healthy season...rbs are a dime a dozen...i don\'t think that translates into 8+ million/season...and robinson is an extremely talented back who just needs some experience

What else are you spending your money on?  

alex smith and nate clements

NickNels

2007 nfl draft
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 01:48:15 pm »
and robinson is an extremely talented back who just needs some experienc

THere is ZERO proof of that.  The former QB has done nothing to prove himself as a RB

alex smith and nate clements

Alex Smith hasn\'t proved himself either.  One 7-9 season, which Gore carried the team on his back.  

$8million/yr for Gore is a steal.  A-Rod is due to make $27million/yr over the next 3 seasons...Food for thought.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 05:33:56 pm »
yeah let\'s pay a guy who\'s had reconstructive surgery on both knees and both shoulders more than LT, LJ, shaun, and portis...it\'s moves like that that got us into salary cap hell for the last 10 years

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 05:52:50 pm »
If he wants to be the highest paid player, i\'d say do it.

those Miami guys are all a bunch of whiners, Gore included.

The Giants are going to be great.  We just made (or are making) Eli Manning one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL...he\'s proved his worth.  We also signed Reuben Droughns.  You remember him, he rushed for 1,400 yrds. 3 yrs. ago with Denver...if you can rush for 1,400 yrds in Denver, you can do it anywhere.  We resigned our center too...Bottom line, this is a SuperBowl contending team.  Pretty much ZERO question marks here, just greatness.

I hope you\'re being sarcastic, really I do. a) Eli Manning has not proved his worth. Not yet anyway. I feel he will become a great QB, but he\'s just not there yet, I give him two more seasons before he is being talked about in the same category as that other Manning, though he still won\'t be THAT good. b) Reuben Droughns is hit or miss. He can be amazing one game, and extremely awful the next. That Denver comment is way out of whack, pretty much any back in the NFL can rush for 1400 there.

Back to the thread topic. I am very upset that Brady Quinn\'s workouts have been going so well which, in turn, has seen his draft stock rise in the process. Early mock drafts had him falling to #9 (I am a Dolphins fan), and I was pumped. However, if he somehow manages to fall that far and Miami does not take him, I will disown my loyalty to the team and start cheering for the Pats (who I dislike very much). I\'m still bitter about the draft they passed on Drew Brees at the end of the 1st round.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 07:41:23 pm »

^ you beat me to it dimension5.

eli will be lucky to become half the qb peyton is right now. his yards dropped by more than 500 last season, his tds didnt improve and his turnovers increased. explain how he has proved his worth to become the one of the highest paid qbs in the nfl.

since droughns left the broncos (in 2 seasons) he has totaled less than 2000 yards on the ground and only scored 6 tds, 1 more than the amount of times he has fumbled the ball. his career high is 1240 rushing yards (2004) so i dont know where 1400 came from.
Smell my mule.

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
There\'s a reason why they\'re called the Browns
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 01:27:21 pm »
Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, William Green, Jeff Faine, Kellen Winslow Jr., Braylon Edwards, Kamerion Wimbley.

Who are these people? Well, in some ways they\'re members of the NFL\'s witness relocation program, but in reality, they\'re the Cleveland Browns first-round draft picks since the shit helmets returned to the league in 1999. Ok, so the latter three still have a shot to be good, but overall, this franchise has lived up to its name in terms of who they\'ve drafted, especially considering all the great players they passed on when making these picks (McNabb, Urlacher, Tomlinson).

So, as a fan of one of the league\'s most inept franchises that\'s always picking early, I feel obligated to share my feelings on the Cleveland Browns third overall pick this year. Well, Peterson is likely out since they signed Jamal Lewis. Definitely do not want Quinn and I\'m sure Russell, who I\'m not exactly that big on, will be gone. Consequently, these are my top five preferences regarding the Browns pick.

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Calvin Johnson
5. Calvin Johnson

And who wouldn\'t want him on their team? I mean, the Raiders and Lions both desperately need quarterbacks and so I wouldn\'t be surprised if Johnson is there for Cleveland. And I certainly won\'t be surprised if Johnson breaks his tibia on the first day of Browns\' mini-camp.

Meanwhile, how about Romeo and company giving ol\' David Carr a call. The guy\'s never had any weapons to work with so I don\'t think we\'ve seen how good he could possibly be. And if he fails, you can just add him to the "heap," so to speak, of first-rounders that failed with the Browns.

5-11 here we come!

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 05:05:23 pm »
Quote from: antbach;139695
Early mock drafts had him falling to #9 (I am a Dolphins fan), and I was pumped. However, if he somehow manages to fall that far and Miami does not take him, I will disown my loyalty to the team and start cheering for the Pats (who I dislike very much). I\'m still bitter about the draft they passed on Drew Brees at the end of the 1st round.

<-----New England Patriots newest fan. meh.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
2007 nfl draft
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 08:51:41 pm »
The draft has been a pain in my ass all week. I\'m glad I\'m done with it. Most hectic, unorganized show I\'ve had to work on in months.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke