Author Topic: The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 63315 times)

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #615 on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:25 pm »
Since we\'re talking about next season, the 2008 season, I think this one still works.  There is a between season thread here somewhere but it seems most people just use this one.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #616 on: November 30, 2007, 07:53:34 pm »
Can any Mets fans out there explain what the hell they did today? Milledge for 2 scrubs?  Isn\'t he still a little young to give up on?

And for the record I hope the Yanks don\'t give up Hughes or Cano for Santana.  He\'s great and all, but reminds me alot of Pedro Martinez.  He\'s due for a breakdown.  Over the next 5 years Hughes may turn out to be the better pitcher.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #617 on: November 30, 2007, 08:26:16 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;170789
Can any Mets fans out there explain what the hell they did today? Milledge for 2 scrubs?  Isn\'t he still a little young to give up on?

And for the record I hope the Yanks don\'t give up Hughes or Cano for Santana.  He\'s great and all, but reminds me alot of Pedro Martinez.  He\'s due for a breakdown.  Over the next 5 years Hughes may turn out to be the better pitcher.

this doesn\'t make a niblet of sense to me.

there isn\'t much of anything in Santana that reminds me of Pedro other than they\'re both great pitchers. Santana is a horse, his numbers are always better in the 2nd half of every season (last year is an exception). I don\'t think he\'s ever been hurt and his style/motion/delivery -- outside of being a south-paw -- is much different than Pedro\'s. I\'ll take a two-time Cy Young-er in the last 3 years who strikes out a ton, walks very few, and loves to win, especially when that\'s exactly what your team needs. He\'ll only be 29 by the start of next season

I think you\'re nuts for not wanting Santana. He\'ll win 25+ games with that lineup.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #618 on: November 30, 2007, 08:51:59 pm »
Quote from: Gordo;170795

I think you\'re nuts for not wanting Santana. He\'ll win 25+ games with that lineup.

The comparison to Pedro is this- power pitchers with small builds usually have short life spans. Their best years are usually in their mid to late 20\'s. The pitchers who have the longest careers are either built like horses (Ryan, Clemens, Schilling, etc.) or nibble and paint the corners (Maddux, Moyer, Glavine).  Santana is a straight forward strike thrower, thus the high number of K\'s.

I think Santana will still be a very good pitcher, in the next 2-3 years especially.  However I think it unrealistic to expect him to duplicate the past 4 years for much longer.  As a Yankees fan I am leery of trading the future for yet another overpaid player who\'s best years are behind him.

Hughes was regarded as the best pitching prospect in all of baseball last year.  There were some bumps in the road, but he sure showed flashes.  It may not come next year, but they spent this much time developing him, they should see if he can be an ace.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:00:22 pm by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Rujah

• team digest
    • http://
« Reply #619 on: November 30, 2007, 09:15:14 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;170789

As much as I hate on the Mets, I have to disagree here. The only problem is they traded Milledge to the Nationals, who are also in the NL East. I understand that Ryan Church and Brian Schneider aren\'t big time players, but neither is Milledge. Both Church and Schneider are young enough and have just as much potential as Milledge to where this trade doesn\'t seem that bad for a Mets perspective. As a Braves fan, it actually pisses me off. I mean the Mets needed a defensive catcher and now they have one. Wonder what they will do with Estrada now? Think about they needed to do something after such an historic collapse to end the season last year. Plus they got two for the price of one and you can\'t really argue with that. Omar seems to know what he\'s doing as a GM, now if he can just get some pitching they may finish second to the Braves next season and earn a Wildcard.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #620 on: November 30, 2007, 10:05:51 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;170802
Quote from: Gordo;170795

The comparison to Pedro is this- power pitchers with small builds usually have short life spans. Their best years are usually in their mid to late 20\'s. The pitchers who have the longest careers are either built like horses (Ryan, Clemens, Schilling, etc.) or nibble and paint the corners (Maddux, Moyer, Glavine).  Santana is a straight forward strike thrower, thus the high number of K\'s.

I hear ya\'. Valid point.

I\'d ride it out with him though, Santana doesn\'t sling like Pedro. It\'s possible he may not last into his mid-thirties as strong as the bigger guys, but Pedro also pushed harder than most pitchers in his mid-20\'s. I remember it seemed like the guy used to throw a complete game every other outing, even going into the 10th at times.  I also think Santana has thicker legs and a less strenuous motion. I love him, to me he\'s the perfect pitcher.

Only time will tell. But I\'d "gamble" on this one. Then again I\'m not a Yankees fan so my knowledge of Hughes is lacking. Therefore, you win. I have no personal investment so I\'d trust you more than myself in this case.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #621 on: November 30, 2007, 10:07:01 pm »
About the Met\'s move today....

Omar\'s job is on the line.

He needs to win in 2008 or he is out.

This move might be bad for the mets in the long run if milledge hits .300 25 HR and 100 RBI....

but it will most likely make the mets a better team in 2008 which is all omar cares about.

It might also be a precursor to a trade for an Ace Pithcer.

But I doubt it.

If it is and we end up getting Haren or somebody else, I say great move.

If not it\'s a stupid move that was made in haste just to save omar\'s ass in 2008.

Milledge\'s value as a prospect has gone way down since 2005 and the mets were sour on him anyway tho so I am not really all that suprised by this trade

They missed the boat for getting maximum value for him two years  when they could have included him ina  deal for manny ramirez

The met\'s main goal is still acquiring pitching and the fact that they dealt milledge means NOBODY who has pitching to trade was interested in including milledge as one of the chips.

so now that none of the GM\'s out there are really asking for him in a deal for pitching omar figured he would cut his losses and get a player of near equal 2008 production in right field and defensive catcher who cant hit lefties to platoon with castro who crushes lefties and is better offensively overall.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:13:41 pm by Klout »

Inner_Score

« Reply #622 on: December 01, 2007, 07:04:39 pm »
Ryan Church is an underrated offensive producer.

And Brian Schneider is probably one of the best defensive catchers in baseball right now.

As a kind of Nationals fan, I see the loss of both players as horrible ,but much needed. The lineup on that team has to change. Hopefully Milledge can step in and help them.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #623 on: December 01, 2007, 07:27:42 pm »

The MLB 2007 WS DVD has been released.  :biggrin: Be sure to pick it up for Christmas for the Red Sox fan in your life, or for the Yankee fan in your life that you don\'t like.  Pec, give us one of those groovy amazon links so you get get some referral $$$.  

NESN is still in production of their DVD.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #624 on: December 01, 2007, 07:57:29 pm »
i hope the nesn dvd has remdawg and don announcing. Rem= comedic genius
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #625 on: December 05, 2007, 01:25:28 pm »
The Tigers hit the daily double in this winter\'s market, landing third baseman Miguel Cabrera and lefty Dontrelle Willis from the Florida Marlins. The price was steep, including two of the Tigers most prized young players, outfielder Cameron Maybin and lefty starter Andrew Miller, not to mention a backup catcher and three prospects.

Wow. That is quite a trade. The Tigers will have a very powerful lineup and a supporting rotation to make them instant contenders. Looks like the Angels will have to land Santana if they want to remain as one of the AL\'s elite teams.

The Marlins should be a solid team in a couple seasons too. Their payroll might be under $25 next season, which is ridiculous.
Smell my mule.

Inner_Score

« Reply #626 on: December 05, 2007, 02:40:44 pm »
Red Sox are still vying for Santana. What a rotation they would have if they got him.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #627 on: December 06, 2007, 07:49:49 pm »
Quote from: Gfunk;170958
i hope the nesn dvd has remdawg and don announcing. Rem= comedic genius

matt damon !
*Gia*

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
World Series ball?
« Reply #628 on: December 16, 2007, 03:04:58 pm »
Moments after Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Jonathan Papelbon struck out Colorado Rockie Seth Smith for the final out of the 2007 World Series, Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek gave Papelbon the baseball.

Papelbon\'s agent later said that his client didn\'t have the ball.

It puzzled some in Boston, as the team had trouble getting the final baseball of the 2004 World Series, too, which the Red Sox also won.
Well, the 2007 mystery is now solved. The World Series baseball is in Hattiesburg.

At least what is left of it is.

"My dog ate it," said Papelbon, who has a home in the Canebrake subdivision.

"He plays with baseballs like they are his toys. His name is Boss. He jumped up one day on the counter and snatched it. He likes rawhide. He tore that thing to pieces. Nobody knows that. I\'ll keep what\'s left of it."

source
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:18:47 pm by Me! »
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #629 on: December 17, 2007, 04:14:49 pm »
Yankees keeping Rivera for 3 more years. Foolish in my opinion. Time to invest in youth at the closer position. He just isn\'t the Sandman of the past, he has lost a lot of stuff and I am scared each time he takes the mound.

Perhaps we can end up with Santana in NY.

Maybe we should just get him some roids.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.