Author Topic: "carlos Mencia"=owned Hardcore>>  (Read 4423 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
"carlos Mencia"=owned Hardcore>>
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 03:27:06 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;135086
in the words of maude lebowski, "oh... yes."

jimmy page stole mannnny of the songs that made him famous.

You crack me up w/ this Jim. Now it has gone from he stole a particular song (from who again?) to many songs. Dude get over it . Page was a kick ass guitarist and songwriter who wrote more hits than he "stole".  
:sigh:
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 03:29:57 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;135086
jimmy page stole mannnny of the songs that made him famous.

Even if thats true, Jimmy Page kicks the same ass that Carlos Mencia sniffs
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 04:10:05 pm »
i dig jimmy page, i\'m just saying he stole a number of tunes.  i will give you examples:

* "Babe I\'m Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
    * "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
    * "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
    * "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran\'s "Nervous Breakdown."
    * "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White\'s "Shake \'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes\'s "Drop Down Daddy."
    * "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
    * "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White\'s "Shake \'Em On Down."
    * "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin\' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King\'s "The Hunter."
    * "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan\'s debut).
    * "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin\' Wolf\'s "Killing Floor" - Wolf\'s publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
    * "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
    * "Nobody\'s Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
    * "Since I\'ve Been Lovin\' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape\'s "Never," though the music isn\'t similar.
    * "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
    * "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham\'s "She Moved Through The Fair."
    * "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
Postcount +1.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 04:13:17 pm »
all bands in the 60\'s/early 70\'s took other people\'s songs.  the stones and hendrix did, so did GD.  did the guy who wrote dazed and confused play it w/ a bow too?

Jim Cobb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:37 pm »
it\'s not that they played the tunes, it\'s that they did not credit the original writers.
Postcount +1.

Jim Cobb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 04:20:35 pm »
http://64.32.225.169/Cobb_Jim/Thievery/Taurus.mp3

Led Zeppelin covered (and gave credit where credit was due for) the first song on this Spirit record before they wrote Stairway.  This proves that they had in fact heard this record, which lowers the odds of this being a coincidence significantly.

http://64.32.225.169/Cobb_Jim/Thievery/DazedAndConfused.mp3
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:27:13 pm by Jim Cobb »
Postcount +1.

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 04:29:30 pm »
jim rogan over here!
caress me, aunt jemima

Jim Cobb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 04:33:51 pm »
i provide you with facts.

and my opinions based on said facts.
Postcount +1.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 04:35:50 pm »
as did robert plant the lyrics.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

leith

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 05:24:44 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;135112
i dig jimmy page, i\'m just saying he stole a number of tunes.  i will give you examples:

* "Babe I\'m Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
    * "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
    * "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
    * "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran\'s "Nervous Breakdown."
    * "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White\'s "Shake \'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes\'s "Drop Down Daddy."
    * "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
    * "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White\'s "Shake \'Em On Down."
    * "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin\' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King\'s "The Hunter."
    * "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan\'s debut).
    * "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin\' Wolf\'s "Killing Floor" - Wolf\'s publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
    * "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
    * "Nobody\'s Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
    * "Since I\'ve Been Lovin\' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape\'s "Never," though the music isn\'t similar.
    * "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
    * "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham\'s "She Moved Through The Fair."
    * "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

OK I can see where you base your opinions, however I take issue with the points bolded.

Traditional tunes are just that and unless actually credited to a writer are in the public domain i would think. Just because someone recorded a traditional tune does not make it theirs unless significant changes were made whereupon "based on a traditional tune" would be used

So they took a portion of a song and included it in the whole. I do believe this has been common practice for quite a few musicians.
So it all depends on how much was derived from the song. It may have just been inspiration for their song.

Again a traditional

Plant was known for pilfering sections of lyrics from all sorts of folks but they were merely parts of a new whole.

I am merely continuing this because your determination to make sure this info is known intrigues me to no end. :)

Jim Cobb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 05:32:47 pm »
your right traditional is traditional.  no qualms there.  however, regardless of how you switch the song around, an artist is still due credit and royalties for such use.  as someone who makes a living as a musician, this shit really pisses me off.  led zeppelin made a boat load of money off other people\'s tunes and those people did not see a dime.  thats fucked up.  it\'s stealing what is rightfully someone else\'s.  just because other people do it too doesn\'t make it right.
Postcount +1.

leith

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 05:47:32 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;135143
your right traditional is traditional.  no qualms there.  however, regardless of how you switch the song around, an artist is still due credit and royalties for such use.  as someone who makes a living as a musician, this shit really pisses me off.  led zeppelin made a boat load of money off other people\'s tunes and those people did not see a dime.  thats fucked up.  it\'s stealing what is rightfully someone else\'s.  just because other people do it too doesn\'t make it right.

I get the source of your anger.

Riddle me this though, if the writers of said stolen songs had such gold why were Jimmy and Co. able to cash it in?

My point being why did LZ have success w/ the "stolen" songs and the original artists did not?

Could it have anything to do with the way the songs were rearranged by Jimmy Page and oh wait I am pretty sure John Paul Jones( a phenomenal musician and songwriter himself) may have had some input also.

Could it have anything to do with the extraordinary talent found in LZ ?

No couldn\'t be. ;)

crimsonknuckles

• makes geniuses disappear!
    • http://
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 08:24:57 pm »
joe rogan and carlos mencia are two of thee worst comedians ever! god they suck.
" Let\'s go Islanders!!!!!!! "
" A festive mood is all around, Another world is what we found "
" Brewin\' funk inside my soul kitchen so pullup a chair here\'s a bit have a listen "

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 08:32:44 pm »
Joe Rogan\'s pretty cool. He talks shit about Fear Factor and how he just did it for the money.

Check out this audio clip, he goes on about how awesome DMT is and how he loves smokin the deemsters on the regular

mp3 link here
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Jim Cobb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 10:29:44 pm »
Quote from: leith;135144
I get the source of your anger.

Riddle me this though, if the writers of said stolen songs had such gold why were Jimmy and Co. able to cash it in?

My point being why did LZ have success w/ the "stolen" songs and the original artists did not?

Could it have anything to do with the way the songs were rearranged by Jimmy Page and oh wait I am pretty sure John Paul Jones( a phenomenal musician and songwriter himself) may have had some input also.

Could it have anything to do with the extraordinary talent found in LZ ?

No couldn\'t be. ;)

yes, they definitely did great things with the tunes.  however, maaaaannny songwriters are able to make a living because they write great songs and have people perform them who do a better job performing them than the writer would.

just because zep were able to make these songs household names doesn\'t mean that the writers were not entitled to a piece of the pie.

suppose i took a breakfast song and kinda changed up the arrangement, altered the lyrics a bit and it became a hit.  dont you think those guys would be entitled to a pretty nice royalty check?  that kind of money could make it so that they could be doing breakfast tours instead of 3 timmy tour shows a week.  but instead i put my name on the tune and they don\'t see a dime..................fucked up, no?
Postcount +1.