Author Topic: Late and the Great, The  (Read 5609 times)

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 11:49:35 pm »
^^ don\'t forget the genre bending performance on 10/26, at the iron horse. good review of this tunes trials and tribulations.
caress me, aunt jemima

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 01:45:11 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;174179
Colossal BUMP for back-to-back indisputable greatest versions starting at Sully\'s a couple of weeks ago then again even better at Middle East Upstairs last night.  

It\'s hard to believe that TLAG was a totally lost cause for years.  They played it twice in late 2001, most notably at Fonghoulish Freakout 3, then it was shelved for 3 or 4 years.  It was on the same sorry shelf as Za and Ahhh The Name Is Breakfast Baby.  This is the "eye-roll" shelf where if you bring up the song to anyone, you just get a weak smile and a "Yeah, what the fuck was ever up with that tune?"  It was really on that shelf.  I can\'t believe that now.

Then the comeback starts in early 2006 by being hooked onto new monster Overexposure.  TLAG was back and it wasn\'t bad, so that was cool.  At least it was off the eye-roll shelf.  But it just didn\'t seem necessary.  OE is so good, why was TLAG there?  

I will admit, there were definitely times where I was waiting for TLAG to end so we could get to OE.  You could feel it in the crowd too.  There was one time at Stone Church where TLAG emptied the floor real fast.  You would\'ve thought they were giving out free nugs at the bar, in the bathroom, and outside.  I began to wonder: If everyone knows the next song is so good, and that the current song is so slow, then aren\'t you just inviting people to leave the floor by putting TLAG in front of Overexposure?  I was starting to think that they might have to bite the bullet, admit their mistake, and start cutting TLAG off OE.  

Now after the last few performances, TLAG is the hottest Breakfast tune.  I think it has much more to do with the fans than the band.  I think once we opened up to it and started really accepting a ballad in Breakfast shows, it took off.  The way the band plays it hasn\'t changed.  Sure, there\'s more urgency in the playing now that we\'re responding to the song, but it\'s the same song.  

Now we\'re at the point where TLAG has taken Song Of The Night honors at a raging show.  Not to mention as a stand-alone encore!  TLAG has now completely usurped Question Mark\'s long-standing title of Best Breakfast Ballad.  That doesn\'t make Question Mark any less of a song, but nothing like last night has ever happened during Question Mark, that\'s for sure.  (If you\'re looking for a quiet street to move to, it\'s awfully quiet on Vera Street right now!  I think the only resident is a Gypsy Girl.)  Love Lake did the comeback thing recently and it was fun, but this is far and away the greatest Breakfast song comeback story.  

Long live The Late and Great.

i need not say anything else...what a rediculously good song, and a phenomenal version last night.  wolf, i burned those CD\'s and had them with me, but i didnt see you (not that i knew what to look for anyway)...ill bring them to toads too
DS Newbers

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 02:35:41 am »
im pretty sure this song has the best sequence of consecutive chords that could possibly be assembled by any man
DS Newbers

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 03:07:58 am »
but that\'s debatable ;)

bassist4aday2

• headie brah
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:35 pm »
not a big fan of it but its alright i guess

roach2226

• snoop
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »
Rot in hell bassist4aday

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 12:04:57 am »
powerful tune. came on shuffle a week ago at the store i work at and this dude, well older gentelman buying burbon,  was pretty seriously owned by it. this thread reminds me, ill probly see this guy soon, so gonna burn him a nice tasty TLG>OE to jam out to while he sips the whisky
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 08:19:34 am »
Quote from: DocEllis70;227647
powerful tune. came on shuffle a week ago at the store i work at and this dude, well older gentelman buying burbon,  was pretty seriously owned by it. this thread reminds me, ill probly see this guy soon, so gonna burn him a nice tasty TLG>OE to jam out to while he sips the whisky

album version
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 08:40:34 am »
Quote from: derickw;227666
Quote from: DocEllis70;227647

album version

Yup.  Basic, concise version always best for new ears.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.