Author Topic: Late and the Great, The  (Read 5604 times)

wiredchicken

• teamCosmicSpacewayRhyme
Late and the Great, The
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:18:46 pm »
begining to grow on me. always liked the ending/into Over Exposure though.  this song is starting to climb the ladder, i see myself really liking it live next time i see it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:38:18 am by davepeck »

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:22:28 pm »
I really dug the version at Mill St, they put a nice little jam on the end before OE.  As I mentioned in the Mill St thread Walsh said the best part of it is that it goes into OE, but I really like it.  Nobody seems to get donw on th eBreakfast ballads but the sheer emotion that is evoked in some of them really hits me, many a goosebump has been formed.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

wiredchicken

Late And The Great, The
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:26:01 pm »
thats why i like \'Good Things\'.

i knew you would be the first to respond to this thread too, cause when i didnt like it at Coda, we had talked about it.

Me!

• life got in the way
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:30:44 pm »
<<<<  predictable  :biggrin:
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

wiredchicken

Late And The Great, The
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 04:36:54 pm »
i am listening to the Mill St show. and that is why i commented on TLatG. i had just listened to it.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 04:47:19 pm »
i\'ve been listening to the 6-17 toads version.  i reallly like this song duo.  really gets me going.  TLaTG really gets me where it counts.
Postcount +1.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 05:02:54 pm »
Check out Late and the Great and Overexposure from Strange Creek.....Gabe and I had a simultanious religious moment during this one......

The Late and The Great and Good Things are 2 great examples of tunes that anyone that walks the face of the earth can relate to.  The lyrics are simple yet conjure up some of the most complex feelings and emotions any human being can face.......loss.  Powerful Stuff.
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

OMS

• Egg-Head
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »
im a huge fan of this song, really well written IMO

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:29:45 pm »
I think the combo of TL&TG > OE is extremely powerful. Although I normally am not a fan of slow songs or ballards, this combo is enjoyable and can really be a showcase in a set or a show.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 09:58:34 pm »
The Moxey Epoxy version is gonna be butter.  The final jam in TL&TG is ser TPalms emotional panty moistening.  up there w/ mooboo\'s in that realm.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:01:05 pm by Igziabeher »

Me!

• life got in the way
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 10:11:00 pm »
Sometimes I\'m so pumped about everything else in the land of B\'Fast I forget they even have an album coming out.........

The two major PME tunes are gonna be sick on Epoxy Good Things w/ grand piano :drool:  TLatG>OE is gonna burst a vessel in my brain.  I can\'t wait

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 11:52:03 pm »
TL&TG>OE = the best parts of Mooboo\'s, Rufus and Buquebus in one tight package.

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 12:02:42 am »
I love TL&TG>OE...One of my fav new tunes. I love ron spears in OE. So good
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

davepeck

• Administrator
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 12:49:42 pm »
@ THE LATE AND THE GREAT

The Late and the Great
Are not here due to fate
But that’s debatable
And I’m so grateful
To have met these wonderful souls
Here’s my ode to you with Rock and Roll

Different yet we all go to the same place
Doesn’t make a difference guy, or gal, or race
It’s all about the times we share in this space
Figuring out the meaning of life and the stakes

The Late and the Great
Are not here due to fate
But that’s debatable
And I’m so grateful
To have met these wonderful souls
Here’s my ode to you with Rock and Roll

Celebrating all the love they gave
Makes me appreciate them more each day
Times of trouble they help my soul to behave
A gift to you this melody I play

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:13:42 am by simpletwistupdon »

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Late And The Great, The
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 11:38:30 pm »
Colossal BUMP for back-to-back indisputable greatest versions starting at Sully\'s a couple of weeks ago then again even better at Middle East Upstairs last night.  

It\'s hard to believe that TLAG was a totally lost cause for years.  They played it twice in late 2001, most notably at Fonghoulish Freakout 3, then it was shelved for 3 or 4 years.  It was on the same sorry shelf as Za and Ahhh The Name Is Breakfast Baby.  This is the "eye-roll" shelf where if you bring up the song to anyone, you just get a weak smile and a "Yeah, what the fuck was ever up with that tune?"  It was really on that shelf.  I can\'t believe that now.

Then the comeback starts in early 2006 by being hooked onto new monster Overexposure.  TLAG was back and it wasn\'t bad, so that was cool.  At least it was off the eye-roll shelf.  But it just didn\'t seem necessary.  OE is so good, why was TLAG there?  

I will admit, there were definitely times where I was waiting for TLAG to end so we could get to OE.  You could feel it in the crowd too.  There was one time at Stone Church where TLAG emptied the floor real fast.  You would\'ve thought they were giving out free nugs at the bar, in the bathroom, and outside.  I began to wonder: If everyone knows the next song is so good, and that the current song is so slow, then aren\'t you just inviting people to leave the floor by putting TLAG in front of Overexposure?  I was starting to think that they might have to bite the bullet, admit their mistake, and start cutting TLAG off OE.  

Now after the last few performances, TLAG is the hottest Breakfast tune.  I think it has much more to do with the fans than the band.  I think once we opened up to it and started really accepting a ballad in Breakfast shows, it took off.  The way the band plays it hasn\'t changed.  Sure, there\'s more urgency in the playing now that we\'re responding to the song, but it\'s the same song.  

Now we\'re at the point where TLAG has taken Song Of The Night honors at a raging show.  Not to mention as a stand-alone encore!  TLAG has now completely usurped Question Mark\'s long-standing title of Best Breakfast Ballad.  That doesn\'t make Question Mark any less of a song, but nothing like last night has ever happened during Question Mark, that\'s for sure.  (If you\'re looking for a quiet street to move to, it\'s awfully quiet on Vera Street right now!  I think the only resident is a Gypsy Girl.)  Love Lake did the comeback thing recently and it was fun, but this is far and away the greatest Breakfast song comeback story.  

Long live The Late and Great.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:07:59 am by Wolfman »