Author Topic: Relix reviews Moxie Epoxy  (Read 3052 times)

Lerherbles

• http://
Relix reviews Moxie Epoxy
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 01:44:39 pm »
Nothing would make me more happy to see The Breakfast blow up and start making a lot of fans and money, they deserve it!! We all know that.  Maybe a great review in Relix would give them a boost in that direction. But, my opinion is that you shouldn\'t try to do something or be something you are not, just to sell more records.  I am a jamband fan!  When I buy an album from a jamband thats what I want to hear a jamband.  I know that I\'m not going to have a cd full of 20-30 minute jams, that doesn\'t make sense.  So you have to compromise.  My one gripe with Bona Fide is some of the jams were cut to fit more songs on the disc. Eschers Etchings is a great song but I want to hear the jam just as much as the song itself, and so do the fans of JAMbands.  Phish did a great job with "A Live One (2 discs I know) and Slip Stitch and Pass. And I realize they were already immensly popular at that point but still.
I dont really know where I\'m going with this rant, but when I listen to Moxie Epoxy aside from Psygn I don\'t feel like I\'m listening to a jamband, its more of a straight up rock record.  I still like the album, but I already know what the band is about since I\'ve seen them live many a time.

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
    • http://horizonmusicgroup.com
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 06:26:36 pm »
As to the sound of the band in generaly....the more Tim is featured the more straight up rock it sounds.  So there I agree with you.  I like the band either way, but I personally would like to see keys.  But....thats the bands decision, not mie and I try to support them whatever they want to do in that way.

As to the jamming...we went into the studio and let it rip.   I didn\'t edit ANYthing.  Short of not having any songs and just faking it...I don\'t know how they could have jammed any more.

I tend to agree with Jordan....the Relix people simply don\'t like the band and have bever given it much os a chance.  Sometimes I wonder if I\'m listening to the same CDs they are....I don\'t get what they are looking for or hear what they do in some of these other bands.

Unfortunately....its useless conjecture.

Quote from: I dont really know where I\'m going with this rant, but when I listen to Moxie Epoxy aside from Psygn I don\'t feel like I\'m listening to a jamband, its more of a straight up rock record.  I still like the album, but I already know what the band is about since I\'ve seen them live many a time.[/QUOTE

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 03:51:28 pm »
i just read this review, really unhappy with it. barely praises the band at all, mostly serves to talk about how much they "fail" at making an album that compares to their live experience

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 04:14:35 pm »
^^
so they had good things to say about the live performance?

I certainly wouldn\'t fault a reviewer for saying the album doesn\'t live up to their live performances.... the difference is huge. If The Breakfast ever makes the big-time I believe its gonna be on the merits of their live show, getting good festival gigs and whatnot. Even if the tracks on Moxie were as good as any live version of said song (which they aren\'t... the intensity and spontaneuity(sp??) is lacking) there would still be that problem that Real Radio and Moxie both sound so one-dimensional on any stereo, surround sound, car stereo, I\'ve played them in. I don\'t think I\'ve ever heard such a flat sound on any other albums besides these.

Overexposure is pretty nice on it though
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 04:19:35 pm »
they dont really say how good their live show is, they mostly just say how their studio sound doesn\'t capture their live performance, which i guess is an underhanded compliment, however they don\'t really go in depth on that.  most of the review is just the guy saying how the album is misguided and doesn\'t have a great direction.  he does however say that it is a nice compact album that flows well.  too lazy to type the whole thing, but clearly not a positive review

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 04:30:55 pm »
well as long as people are still talking about the album...that is a good thing...let the critics say what they want, since the Breakfast\'s best stuff is still ,at least, 2 albums away.......Moxie Epoxy is by far the bands best work to date and how bout overexposure.......it\'s due.....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 04:43:19 pm »
true, one other thing, the way the album is formatted on the page of the magazine pisses me off as well. its like in the bottom right corner of a left page.  may not sound like anything but i completely skipped over it at first, its literally like tucked away, wish they would get some more positive reviews, but what can we do

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2007, 01:12:54 pm »
sort of related...jambands.com put up a rotating pic of breakfast from northstar on their homepage...

http://www.jambands.com/potd/images/575.jpg