Author Topic: YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!  (Read 7568 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2003, 04:00:18 pm »
Relieved that this is finally over, knowing that we were going to lose since before the season even ended.

I\'ve been trying to explain to some people how believing in your heart of hearts that the Sox are going to lose is okay.  How it makes you a true Sox fan.  If you are a true Bostonian Sox fan, and you have been with this team for a decade or more, you believe that the Sox can and will lose any game and series they play in.  It\'s okay to think that.  You believe that they will lose every time until the last out is made.  If they happen to win, then you say "Wow, they won."  If they lose, it\'s routine and you saw it coming the whole time.  

Being a Yankees fan is, of course, the exact opposite.  If you are a true New Yorker (CT is close enough) and Yankee fan, you believe that the Yankees can and will win every game and series they ever play in.  You believe that they will win up until the last out.   If they happen to lose, then you say "Wow, they lost."  If they win, it\'s routine and you saw it coming the whole time.  

Sox fans should hate the Yankees, since the Yanks always get their way.  But Yankee fans really shouldn\'t hate the Sox.  You know that anytime you play the Sox, you will get the upper hand.  I\'ve been saying this since 1997, and I will say it again: The Red Sox will NEVER beat the Yankees in anything significant, EVER.  As a Yankee fan, you should always root for the Sox in the ALDS because that\'s a free pass to the World Series for the Yankees.  The Sox and Yankees will play in the ALCS 3 or 4 more times in the next 10 years, and the Yankees will win every time.  So Yankees fans, don\'t hate the Sox too much, the Sox hook you up.  

I thought Pedro was going to be a Yankee too, but now I don\'t think so.  Not after going 0-1 against the Yanks and getting their fans to hate him so much.    

That\'s it.  I\'m glad it\'s over with.  Yankees in 5 after losing game 1.

Wolfman
--who grew up with Red Sox wallpaper in his bedroom.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 04:02:52 pm by Wolfman »

davepeck

• Administrator
YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2003, 07:53:23 pm »
Originally posted by Drew_Kingsley

Granted it makes it appear as if the BoSox were counting their chickens a bit early but, in all fairness, if Game Seven was at Fenway Park they probably would have been preparing Yankee Stadium that soon as well.  I don\'t have the experience to say that preparing the field is a tough or easy job, but I\'m sure any groundskeeper would take the head start if he could get it.

meh...

sorry, you just don\'t do this... especially if you\'re the red sox! first of all, it shows a lack of sportsmanship - basically saying \'we know we\'re gonna win\'... you\'re adding to your jinx... images of this were plastered all over yankee stadium last night - it just fueled the fire.

for those of you who don\'t believe in curses, do you now?? i mean, come on. you mean to tell me it\'s a complete coincidence that this just happens to the same teams, over and over again?? the sox and cubs were both 5 outs away from the world series, with a 3-run lead, and they both blew it.

as for last night, you can\'t blame Little completely. sure, a lot of it is on him, and he needs to step up and be the boss in this situation - BUT - his ace, possibly the best pitcher of our generation, the future hall-of-famer, mr. lights out, pedro told him that he was OK to pitch. pedro needs to step up there, and get out of the 8th inning. this is what pedro lacks. Koufax gets out of this inning. Gibson gets out of this inning. Randy Johnson gets out of this inning. Pedro choked. and even after leaving him in, Little shouldn\'t have let him go as long as he did.

we all know that the late-90\'s yankees had a certain \'magic\' to them.. they always found a way. a different hero every night. many people questioned whether this group of yankees had that magic or not.. turns out that they do. last night proved that there are 2 things that are alive and well: the curse, and the magic. there\'s just something in those pinstripes. go yanks.

Wolfman

What rivalry?
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2003, 09:26:02 pm »
And another thing...this is easily the lamest "rivalry" in all of sports.  It\'s really not much of a rivalry when one team wins EVERY time.  It\'s just a whipping.  Rivals should give each other a contest, not have one always on top.  Duke v Carolina, Ali v Forman, Celtics v Lakers (80\'s), these are all true rivalries because it goes both ways.  In a long-term rivalry like Duke/UNC or Chiefs/Radiers, it should not be clear who has had the advantage in any 10 year period, and the overall record should be close enough to be negligible.  Either side should be able to win any contest.  None of this applies to Yankees/Red Sox.  Sox fans are just jealous and the rest is media hype.  One team is just the master and the other the whipping boy, and there is hostility there, but as a rivalry it\'s really lame.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 09:28:14 pm by Wolfman »

davepeck

• Administrator
YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 07:21:02 am »
If the Red Sox were a girl, you would probably just break up with them. You would call them on the phone, explain to them calmly that you can\'t take it anymore, let them down as gently as possible, then move on with your life. But sports aren\'t like that. You\'re stuck with your teams from childhood. It\'s like being trapped in a bad marriage. You can\'t get out.

dogpatch

• Hummm....nummmhum!
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/dogpatch_
YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 10:40:32 am »
When the Redsocks lost the big game we got trapped in our room. The Sox fans arranged all the furniture in front of our door. This is ny opinion but fact.
What is it! Who is it!

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
Dream Weaver
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2003, 12:54:01 pm »
But here\'s a couple of facts. Major League Umpires will one day bond together and attain their lifelong goal of being able to see and use their newfound visabilty to differentiate between balls (pitches that are off home plate) and strikes (pitches that cross a portion of the plate). Please see Game 3.

Another fact is that the team which wins 2 of the next 3 be crowned champs. And although the Yankees will probably win the next two, the facts say that the Yankees and Marlins are knotted at a pair apiece and that\'s good enough for me.

By the way, I lost my breakfast, lunch and dinner when the Florida crowd kissed Clemens\' ass last night and gave him that ovation. Did they all forget that a World Series game was occuring at the same time? How about a little competitive spirit? The guy was just trying to end your season two minutes ago. It\'s amazing how everyone bashes Clemens (deservedly so) for his antics then gets all wishy-washy, just like the Boston fans did late in the regular season, and cheer him when it\'s his potential last start. Some say it\'s class. I say it\'s clitty. Show some balls. More important, show some consistency. If you\'re gonna boo him in the first inning, boo him when he leaves the game. If you\'re gonna boo him in April, boo him in October. Let the tears and cheers happen at Yankee Stadium, at which Clemens will probably win Game 7 in relief. He will then be awarded the keys to New York City, Boston, and Toronto, and run for mayor of all three cities simultaneously and win. But hey this is my last exit with Clemens, the last chance to possibly see him and/or his team fail and although it likely won\'t happen, I\'ve eaten shit so many times with Clemens and the Yankees that it doesn\'t matter anymore. I\'ve got my bib on so LET\'S GO MARLINS!!!!!

The Pay-Off Pitch

By the way: Yankees 7, Marlins 5 in Game 5

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Re: Dream Weaver
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2003, 02:36:21 pm »
Originally posted by ChrisPitch
Another fact is that the team which wins 2 of the next 3 be crowned champs. And although the Yankees will probably win the next two, the facts say that the Yankees and Marlins are knotted at a pair apiece and that\'s good enough for me.

By the way, I lost my breakfast, lunch and dinner when the Florida crowd kissed Clemens\' ass last night and gave him that ovation.

I was just about to mention that.  I\'m so glad that the Marlins are showing the Yanks (and America) some fucking guts.  Too bad nobody in Florida really cares.

As far as Clemens, we (BoSox) as well as Florida tried really hard to send him out as a losing pitcher.  Damnit, we tried.  I suppose, personal vendettas aside, he deserves some respect from the objective baseball fan in me.  But the bias Red Sox fan in me wishes he took the loss after getting shelled in Game 7.  Enjoy Cooperstown, Roger, even if you are wearing the wrong uniform.

Yanks in 6, but we\'ll get \'em next year (I swear, this time)
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

davepeck

• Administrator
YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2003, 06:33:08 am »
ok let me say this...

any respect i had for David Wells, is gone. completely. i really hope he\'s not a Yankee next year, and last night may have been the decisive vote in whether he will or won\'t be.

it\'s really ironic, don\'t you think? i mean, right at the beginning, FOX is showing clips from a Wells pregrame press conference, and he\'s just mucking it up with the media.. laughing about the workout routines of Clemens, Mussina, and Pettitte. "if i write another book, it\'ll be \'how to NOT workout\'"... about 10 minutes after they show this, this FAT FUCK is out of the game with back spasms. now i know that injuries happen, and there\'s nothing you can do about it, but maybe if this lazy piece of shit worked out once in a while, he wouldn\'t have this problem.

ugh. and Aaron Boone -- he\'s lucky.. cause going into game 7 against the sox, he was awful. he was on trial for murder and looking guilty guilty guilty. he hits that HR, makes a deal with the DA, and is granted immunity for life. he has since killed 38 people (27 women and 11 kids, for those keeping score at home), but it\'s a-ok. he\'s awful, but he\'s our hero.

Soriano - whatever he\'s going through right now, it\'s a shame. he is so talented, but he\'s playing about as bad as you possibly can right now, and it couldn\'t come at a worse time. he\'s got the postseason strikeout record, but he\'s not a pitcher - that\'s not a good thing. here\'s hoping he gets out of it.

anyways, they\'re still the Yankees, and i\'m still confident that on sunday night, i\'ll be a happy guy. until then, David Wells can lick my fitter happier balls. go yanks.

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
No Such Thing as Immunity \'Til the Ring\'s Been Won
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2003, 03:04:41 am »
I\'m just surprised that the crowd didn\'t give Wells a standing ovation following his exit after the first inning. After all, that might have very well been his last start in Pro Player Stadium. The nerve of these fans.

Still, I think the Yankees will win. But what a fun Game 5 to watch if you hate \'em. Odd to say it, but Torre should have gone to Weaver in the second. And he should have gone to me instead of Chris Hammond. For the record, I think McKeon going to Beckett on short rest in Game 6 is a mistake. Hope I\'m wrong.

GO MARLINS!!!

Pitch

Also for the record, I think Torre should start Wilson at third over Boone and bat him, Giambi and Soriano in the bottom of the lineup and move Johnson to the second spot for Games 6 and 7.

Finally for the record, if anybody, and I mean anybody, pitches in a tight spot for the Yankees in Games 6 and 7 besides Andy Pettite, Mike Mussina, Mariano Rivera, and maybe Roger Clemens, the Bronx crew is gone good-bye.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Re: No Such Thing as Immunity \'Til the Ring\'s Been Won
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2003, 11:39:34 am »
For the record, I think McKeon going to Beckett on short rest in Game 6 is a mistake.

I won\'t say a word, because you were far from alone in this opinion :)

And Yankees fans, don\'t give us that "at least we made it this far" shit, that\'s Red Sox fan talk!  You guys are supposed to be winners!

It almost feels like a BoSox win... almost.

2004 Predictions
---------------------
AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: Mariners
AL Wild Card: Yankees

NL East: Marlins
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Dodgers
NL Wild Card: Braves

Red Sox d. White Sox
Yankees d. Mariners
Red Sox d. Yankees

Dodgers d. Braves
Cardinals d. Marlins
Cardinals d. Dodgers

Red Sox d. Cardinals

I can dream, can\'t I?
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
SEAFOOD UP!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2003, 11:46:11 am »
That\'s exactly why I\'m not a big-league manager. And that\'s exactly why the Marlins are the World Champs. The taste of being incorrect never felt so good.

All the credit goes to the Marlins. The better team prevailed. They were faster, younger, more disciplined at the plate, considerably better defensively, and had the best pitcher in the series in Beckett. The best part: the payroll differential. Is this the curse of the Giambino? Only time will tell.

Also, this does take some of the sting away from the Red Sox loss and definitely nullifies Boone\'s home run as a great moment in Yankees history (just like the Martinez and Brosius homers against Arizona that went for naught). But no Red Sox fan should take it as a victory for themselves. The Sox choked. The Yankees choked. You were both just students at the Unversity of the National League, where pitchers actually bat (especially Brad Penny, who should have gotten co-MVP with Beckett), and guys who can\'t play the field sit out, or in the case of Giambi, play first base.

OH BABY!!! The Yanks lose again and Clemens ends his career pitching like garbage in his final three starts. Gotta love it, especially if you\'re a bitter fan of the New York Mess.

Best postseason ever.

Chris Pitch

Come on Yankee fans? Where you at? It\'s awfully quiet out there in Pinstripe Land. You always have plenty to say when you win. Come on guys, break it down. Besides the fact that the Marlins were superior in every way, what was the single biggest factor in your demise?

My answer: AARON BOONE. A simple sacrifice fly in Game 4 and the Yankees win the series. He must have still been thinking about the knuckleball.

davepeck

• Administrator
YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2003, 12:10:05 pm »
Come on Yankee fans? Where you at? It\'s awfully quiet out there in Pinstripe Land. You always have plenty to say when you win. Come on guys, break it down. Besides the fact that the Marlins were superior in every way, what was the single biggest factor in your demise?

clearly the reason for this is because we yankee fans just don\'t have a leg to stand on against any met fans or red sox fans..

what is it that you would like to hear from the yankee fans? that we haven\'t been able to sleep? they lost.. that sucks. oh well. i woke up breathing on sunday morning.

sure, i\'d be happy if they won, but i\'m not crying that they lost. the best team in baseball won the world series. plain and simple. i\'d love to sit here and make up excuses, like Aaron Boone, Jeff Weaver, and David Wells... hell, Posada blocks the plate, Jeter doesn\'t fumble, Pettitte goes to 3rd, and it\'s 0-0 going into the top of the 10th in game 6... excuses excuses.. the fact of the matter is that all of that did happen, and the better team won.

if a bad year for the yankees is losing the world series, so be it. at least i don\'t have to sit and wonder if i\'ll be alive the next time they\'re there.

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2003, 03:22:43 pm »
That\'s fine Dave, but you still haven\'t told me the single biggest factor in the Yankees demise. Well, other than the fact that they dealt Sterling Hitchcock.

How about on WFAN today with people saying trade Soriano, trade Giambi, etc.? Come on, these two guys are 30 HR, 100 RBI guys in their sleep. Put Giambi at DH full-time and Soriano in the OF full-time, re-sign Pettitte, snag free agents to replace Clemens and Wells and you\'re right back there next year. That is, as long as you actually use pitchers for the set-up roles in the bullpen.

But listening to most Yankee fans this afternoon you would think this team has 1. never won a title, let alone four in the last eight years, and 2. that they\'re on the cusp of a major rebuilding phase. Get with it. They can snag any player they want with the green and the allure of playing for the sport\'s most storied franchise. Now Brian Cashman, or whoever they get to replace him, just has to acquire better players than Aaron Boone and Gabe White.

Seriously, what about Contraras and Weaver for next season?Are they in the rotation, in the bullpen, or in San Diego Padres uniforms? I say Contraras should become the primary right-handed set-up guy and Weaver should get a chance to compete for a starting spot in spring training next year.

Pitch

Wolfman

YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2003, 04:34:32 pm »
Face it:  The Yanks are on the way down, the SOx and Marlins are on the way up.  The Yankees have not won in 3 years and will not win for another 117 years.  in that time, the Sox will win 31 championships and the Marlins 6.  The Sox and Marlins will meet 9 times in the WS.  The Yankees are all done.

Wolfman

YANKEES BABY YEAH!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2003, 06:27:36 pm »
I\'m loving the irony of this thread title right now.