Author Topic: Recent Donations - A public THANK YOU. [BONUS: Now with public CALL OUT!!]  (Read 7110 times)

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
Recent Donations - A public THANK YOU. [BONUS: Now with public CALL OUT!!]
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 04:17:18 pm »
::popcorn::
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 04:31:30 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;124686
$1,291.25 is the total amount of $ thats listed as being donated to .info on the donations page.

vbulletin costs $160.00
$30.00 for renewals after the 1st year

domain registrations cost no more than $40/2 years even less depending on where you register them

so that leaves roughly $800 or more that isn\'t accounted for

Not to mention the small amounts of $ that the powerball donations have made.

This site also has way too many advertisements on it and I am sure that those clicks also generate $.

So I will ask again what is the $ being spent on ?

you should also count the man hours it takes to do upgrades and infrastructure improvements... hard drive space and maintaining paging speeds....

KindM\'s what are you worried about anyways i don\'t see your name on the donate list.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 04:31:30 pm by derickw »
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 04:33:34 pm »
thebreakfast.info realy needs a tbc smilie...

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 04:44:36 pm »
doesn\'t imageshack cost something too?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 05:07:33 pm »
Quote from: derickw;124690
$1,291.25 is the total amount of $ thats listed as being donated to .info on the donations page.

vbulletin costs $160.00

domain registrations cost no more than $40/2 years even less depending on where you register them

This site also has way too many advertisements on it and I am sure that those clicks also generate $.

you should also count the man hours it takes to do upgrades and infrastructure improvements... hard drive space and maintaining paging speeds....

KindM\'s what are you worried about anyways i don\'t see your name on the donate list.

Well considering I (yes I) host this site FREE of charge your argument holds no water. Perhaps you would like to try again ?
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 05:25:18 pm »
Quote from: freddiewaht;124689
::popcorn::
Postcount +1.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 05:46:47 pm »
Audit! Audit! Audit! Audit!

:P
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 05:56:06 pm »
Why do you host this site for free? How much does it cost to host a site as such?

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 06:03:45 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;124707
Why do you host this site for free? How much does it cost to host a site as such?

Back when the original .info/net/com was having trouble with a former webmaster etc I offered to host the site for free. (I work at an ISP ) so I wanted to help out the band and Peck out of a crappy situation and was able to do it in a hurry for him/them.

here the site would be $65.00/mnth but other places it could be higher or lower.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 06:25:08 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;124709
Quote from: Spacey;124707

Back when the original .info/net/com was having trouble with a former webmaster etc I offered to host the site for free. (I work at an ISP ) so I wanted to help out the band and Peck out of a crappy situation and was able to do it in a hurry for him/them.

here the site would be $65.00/mnth but other places it could be higher or lower.

makes sense.

$65/month would definitely add up quickly.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 06:40:10 pm »
wow.. thanks for the callout, mike..

anyways, there\'s more than vbulletin running on this site, and it\'s hardly a barebones version of vB at that. there are many hacks installed, some of which cost money for a license and extra for support/renewals. there\'s photopost and vbportal as well, both of which (like vbulletin) have standard license fees, as well as yearly renewal and support fees.

the powerball donations? < $50 total.

the ads? < $30 for the year so far.

oh, and by the way, there\'s some weeks where i spend more time working on .info than i do working at my job.

but hey, if you really like math, i\'ll help you out with the equation:

- add up all the software licenses, renewal, and support fees.
- add up all the fees associated with domain names, and what i paid for hosting back in the day..
- add up all the time that i\'ve spent working on the site..
- then take your $1291.25 in donations, and hell, add a GENEROUS $100 for ad revenue...
- then divide all that by the 3.5 years that this site has been up, and you\'ll see how rich davepeck is getting off thebreakfast.info..

and if anyone would like to see receipts or credit card statements, by all means, ask away.

wow.

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 07:02:19 pm »
I thought all the money was going for a bid @ the 2008 Presidential Nomination campaign...
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 07:08:09 pm »
dave,i speak for everyone when i say that we appreciate everything you do..

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 07:11:49 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;124701
Quote from: derickw;124690

vbulletin costs $160.00

Well considering I (yes I) host this site FREE of charge your argument holds no water. Perhaps you would like to try again ?

sorry bra, i don\'t think i\'ve ever even met you muchless knew you host dotinfo. it\'s much apprieciated. but hey not knowing, i had to say something. personally i\'m always on dotinfo, when i\'m around a comp. and i have a decent amount of pics on here as well so my small donation is of no concern to me. i\'m more than happy to give loot to keep this site up and running without question because it hasn\'t failed me.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 08:00:16 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;124715
wow.. thanks for the callout, mike..

anyways, there\'s more than vbulletin running on this site, and it\'s hardly a barebones version of vB at that. there are many hacks installed, some of which cost money for a license and extra for support/renewals. there\'s photopost and vbportal as well, both of which (like vbulletin) have standard license fees, as well as yearly renewal and support fees.

the powerball donations? < $50 total.

the ads? < $30 for the year so far.

oh, and by the way, there\'s some weeks where i spend more time working on .info than i do working at my job.

but hey, if you really like math, i\'ll help you out with the equation:

- add up all the software licenses, renewal, and support fees.
- add up all the fees associated with domain names, and what i paid for hosting back in the day..
- add up all the time that i\'ve spent working on the site..
- then take your $1291.25 in donations, and hell, add a GENEROUS $100 for ad revenue...
- then divide all that by the 3.5 years that this site has been up, and you\'ll see how rich davepeck is getting off thebreakfast.info..

and if anyone would like to see receipts or credit card statements, by all means, ask away.

wow.

Well Dave. I think that if you are charging for your time thats a little different but you may want to let people who are "donating" know that their money is being donated for your time which would of course be the largest expense.

"The general .info operating fund Donations will go towards site software licenses/upgrades/renewals, domain name registrations/renewals, etc. Donate any amount you\'d like. No amount is too small!"

and YOU choose to use this software that I guess costs you tons of $. I guess I thought you maintain the site because you were trying to help the band out and not because you wanted to be compensated for your time. I never said you were getting rich just asked how the $ was being spent. When seeing the amount of money people were donating I think it is a safe question to ask. Especially considering the site is hosted for free! I appreciate that you spend your time with this site, however we can argue all day long if I think you deserve to be compensated for it above the costs of the licenses etc and free entrance to shows.

so $1400 in 3.5 years to cover the costs of the site thats 400/yr Are you saying that after the initial purchase of the software that you are still seeing those same costs ? considering you have 0 hosting fees 0 bandwidth transfer fees etc etc. ?

You answered my question so for that thank you but I think if you are including the time you spend on this site as part of the cost of it then where does it end ?