Author Topic: this may be blasphemy, but....  (Read 2693 times)

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
this may be blasphemy, but....
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:07:02 am »
the moxie epoxy version of honeybutter really doesn\'t do it for me. lacks energy/too slow, not nearly funky enough in the breakdown, just doesn\'t have that ooomph that i love from live versions. i\'d almost prefer any other track to have been picked by sirius.

otherwise, i think the album sounds great. really good job mixing (though there are a couple spots where it sounds like there\'s a lack of overall tonal similarity -an album sound vs. song by song sounds) and great playing. honeybutter\'s really the only tune that i think didn\'t make the transition to the studio very well. doesn\'t suck, isn\'t worst ever, just doesn\'t shine as much as i was hoping for.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 11:12:16 am »
The vocal tricks always leave me with an "ugh", but that is because I\'m so used to hearing them live. There is always going to be something you don\'t care for, but overall the album has a nice flow to it and is produced very well. I will say, the jam at the end of the album in over exposure :drool: The rhoads is so great in it (remind anyone else of animals era floyd?), and then it just goes, turns to trance with the delayed guitar for a while, awesome. That\'s some sic shit mang!

Overall, I think this one knocked deuce into second place for my top breakfast albums.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 11:22:03 am »
There is always going to be something you don\'t care for, but overall the album has a nice flow to it and is produced very well.

agreed whole heartedly!

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 12:10:43 pm »
bfast fans are never happy, @ least they are playing something other than hot lanta.

im happy they even play the breakfast...did anyone notice sirius radio is in the thank you section of moxie epoxy?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 12:21:55 pm by sallyalli »
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 12:30:58 pm »
i do believe honey butter is also justin spacebrush maturo\'s least favorite song on the album.

"does the song ever end??"

i still can\'t wait to hear the album..

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 12:36:02 pm »
IMHO Honeybutter is waaaaaay better than Surreal Radio
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 12:40:03 pm »
Thats a good point about OE and Pink Floyd\'s Animals.  The OE jam to me reminds me of a cross between Animals and the Inca Roads jam.
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

sallyalli

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 01:04:14 pm »
Quote from: Me!;124122

Eat that peaches626!

I agree 100%

ChrisF

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 01:05:03 pm »
Quote from: Me!;124122

i dont know about that.

honey butter is my least favorite track from the album, but its still the breakfast and i like the song. i dont have a problem with the way they did it, i just think its better live. the only problem i have with the album is  the way it was mastered - good things is too loud and surreal radio is is not loud enough. and since those two tracks are back to back i think its a weird transition going into surreal radio. the guitar solo at the end of good things is so much louder than the heavily distorted guitar at the beginning of surreal. other than that i dont really have a problem at all with anything else on the album. i think all the songs came out really great.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 01:32:08 pm »
dave, how have you, of all people, managed to not hear it yet?? and here i thought *i* was slacking on getting it ordered... :lol:

the only problem i have with the album is the way it was mastered - good things is too loud and surreal radio is is not loud enough.
that\'s where i was talking about missing an overall tonality. like the levels were all set per song, not started at the same point then tweaked. it catches the ear kinda weird....

Rujah

• team digest
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 04:44:06 pm »
haven\'t got the album yet b/c my credit card expired or some shit. but since it hits stores tomorrow, can I pick it up any store that sells music?  Meanwhile still haven\'t heard honeybutter on sirius yet, but I have been listening to much Howard/Bubba/Ferrall.  I had to get a new receiver so I have yet to store The Breakfast on my artist alert.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 04:51:35 pm »
Well I just listened to this album twice, once yesterday and once in my car today....

I have to agree Honeybutter was the weakest track on the album IMO... like something was holding it back from rocking the way it does live. Surreal Radio could have been a little more rockin too, the levels were too quiet or something.

Overexposure is actually my favorite track on the album because it sounds so good and it\'s the only song that, to me, really shows what Breakfast is doing live these days. I guess Psygn does too but almost any live Psygn I\'ve heard beats the one on the album.

well I could go on nitpicking but really I think it\'s a pretty good album. It still amazes me that Deuce was so frickin awesome and that\'s with 5 years less experience as a band (or however long ago that was)...
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 05:08:32 pm »
yeah i have issues with the production on the record, but i still like listening to it.  i don\'t even know why i\'m posting.  disregard this.
Postcount +1.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 06:02:43 pm »
I actually posted in another thread that I think the audience participation on the chorus really helps make Honeybutter.  It can be good even when sloppy (that was a lob) b/c it\'s more about energy than anything else. How can that be duplicated in the studio?
Surreal suffers from the same sort of thing, Tim\'s stage pressence and even the lights make it something to see live, but the studio just can\'t capture that.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

sallyalli

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 06:07:12 pm »
yeah the "butta butta butta" on the album is cheese ball