Author Topic: Old Gansta Rap  (Read 2100 times)

MakisupaPJ

• The Polish Kielbasa Man
Old Gansta Rap
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:56:38 am »
Hey everyone...the other day I found an old cd case and found Dr. Dre\'s "The Chronic" (1992) and Snoop Dogs "Doggystyle" (1993) ...These came out when I was a senior in high school/freshman in college...anyway I have been listening to the 2 disks lately and they really have some good beats...did anyone else listen to this shit back in the day. I think today Im going to pick up some RUN DMC...that was my first rap album...this was all before I knew about so called "jam bands"...peace, PJ :bangun:
"When you worry too much about the past or the future, you lose sight of the present"

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:31:40 am »
I listened a little but never got fully into any of the gangsta rap. That being said, straight out of compton is a classic album. Snoops album was really good to. "This ones for slick rick" :P

I wasn\'t really \'into\' anything back then - I just listened to everything. Then I discovered phish and my tastes became more refined. For me, it started with public enemy though, not run dmc. Fight the power.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

MakisupaPJ

Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:00:07 am »
oh shit I forgot all about my Public Enemy phase...Also the second NWA album was good. Then I was into the Beastie Boys, which I still pop in...good instrumentals on some of their albums. But yeah once I started listening to the Dead and Phish, my approach to music changed...I became much more openminded...reggae, zepplin, black sabath, banjo plying,..anything but top 40 shit!
"When you worry too much about the past or the future, you lose sight of the present"

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:30:47 am »
make my shit the chronic i wants to get f$cked up, make my shit the chronic so i can fire it up..... classic album...... the 20 dollar sack pyramid.... some funny stuff on there
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

davepeck

• Administrator
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:37:00 am »
heh.. shoulda seen my cd collection in the early 90\'s (not to mention my wardrobe!).. probably 70-80% rap..

while not all \'gangsta\' rap, a bunch off the top of my head:

The Chronic, Doggystyle, Naughty By Nature, 19 Naughty III, Lethal Injection, The Predator, The Low End Theory, It Takes A Thief, A Wolf in Sheep\'s Clothing, Straight Outta Compton, Dead Serious, Here Come The Lords, Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Bacdafucup...

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:44:39 am »
I just started reading Can\'t Stop, Won\'t Stop by Jeff Chang. "A History of the Hip-Hop Generation"

Really good stuff. I am just wrapping up the section on the 70\'s. No glorified gangsters yet.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:58:17 am »
Quote from: davepeck;122646
heh.. shoulda seen my cd collection in the early 90\'s (not to mention my wardrobe!).. probably 70-80% rap..

HA! I can picute it now, the faded blue camero crusing down the street with some nwa pumpin, dave pulling up and stepping out in the full lakers home team jersey/shorts combo, and ronnie walking up to greet him with his blue mohawk. :P
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

MakisupaPJ

Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 01:04:05 pm »
man you guys keep jarging my memory...Of course we all love Cypress Hill, The Pharcyde was sick, Tribe Called Quest was sick, and (cant remember their name..something with a B..one of their albums was "Three feet high and rising" they were funky..maybe the breakfast could do a show dedicated to rap or Tim could on his solo tour?

Quote from: derickw;122645
make my shit the chronic i wants to get f$cked up, make my shit the chronic so i can fire it up..... classic album...... the 20 dollar sack pyramid.... some funny stuff on there

Im not sure if its on dre\'s or snoops album, but in the begining of the song you here this old guy telling a joke: "Daddy if I have nuts on my chest what are they...Youve got chestnuts...Daddy if I have nuts on my chin are they called chinnuts...he goes "hell no Bitch youve got a dick in your mouth!---classis gagnsta shit

I remember now...De La Soul...they were funky
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 01:04:05 pm by MakisupaPJ »

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 07:10:41 pm »
(not to mention my wardrobe!)

Cross Colours?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

davepeck

• Administrator
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 07:22:33 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;122700
(not to mention my wardrobe!)

Cross Colours?

absolutely...

8th grade - my worst year.

MakisupaPJ

Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 07:39:32 pm »
I know this probably sounds soo stupid....but I picked up NWA\'s niggaz4life cd.....I cant take it out of the cd player...These guys knew how to put beats together and rap to it..circa 1991....The "Fuck The Police" part 2 is sick!!!....

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 11:06:52 am »
what about wu-tang?!? 36 chambers is a masterpiece. i listen to this album all the time, along with the chronic, doggystyle and also biggies ready to die. 92-94 was the pinnacle of gangsta rap, it been all down hill ever since.

on a side note, as they were mentioned, the beastie boys have an instrumental album called \'the in sound from way out\'. it came out back in 96 or so. its made up of the instrumental songs they had on check your head and ill communication but they were redone in the studio. this album really showcases their talents as musicians and is prob my fav album to put on when im blazed. i highly recommend it.
Smell my mule.

SkyePrizm

• separator
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 11:13:09 am »
Quote from: davepeck;122702
absolutely...

8th grade - my worst year.

if the year was 1993, i think we all had a bad year clothing wise.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 11:52:05 am »
I definitely thought I was black for a couple of years 88/89. Though not all gangsta, still takes me back to a confused time in my life...

Public Enemy
Boogie Down Productions
Ice Cube
Kool G Rap and DJ Polo
Digital Underground (back when 2pac was wit em)
2Pacs 2Pacalypse Now (still his best body of work in my opinion)
Tribe Called Quest
Big Daddy Kane
Eric B and Rakem
The Ghetto Boys
EPMD
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Old Gansta Rap
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 12:14:53 pm »
Ahh those were the days. I remember rolling up on a bunch of friends in the parking lot of Carl\'s Jr. in my \'70 Chevy Impala and surprising the fuck out of them. At the time I was totally known as a nutty Deadhead so when I would come around it was usually the Dead bumping. The look of astonishment from my friends as Straight Outta Compton came blasting out, I still remember to this day.
That shit turned everything upside down in Hip-Hop!

Oh and the in sound from way out is one of the dopest albums ever!!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.