Author Topic: New Keyboard Players from other bands?  (Read 3726 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
New Keyboard Players from other bands?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 04:10:58 pm »
I dont understand the idea behind moldable.

If the person is worth a damn they aren\'t gonna just roll over and be TOLD what to play and how to play it.

Why not bring in someone who will contribute to all aspects of the band. writing singing and playing and perhaps has some what of a following already to help the band overall.

I really don\'t like the idea of someone just playing like Jordan or trying. They should be confident to have their own sound.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 04:28:08 pm »
absolutely, but a "new" player doesn\'t have to try and sound like Jordan, I think it\'s gona be hard to get someone who plays in another band to be able to adhere to the scheduling and pay of The Breakfast, these guys aren\'t gonna wanna not do a gig cause the keyboardist has another gig with someone else, this band should be first priority, and also someone in this area is key, it\'s not gonna do them any good to get someone who lives on the left coast
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 04:33:08 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s
I dont understand the idea behind moldable.

If the person is worth a damn they aren\'t gonna just roll over and be TOLD what to play and how to play it.

Why not bring in someone who will contribute to all aspects of the band. writing singing and playing and perhaps has some what of a following already to help the band overall.

I really don\'t like the idea of someone just playing like Jordan or trying. They should be confident to have their own sound.

i agree but some people are not willing to play certain styles and are stuck in there ways. the guys kind of have a style and know where they kind of wanna go, so the next person that steps in... if anyone steps in, has to bring something new to the table agreed but they also have to be able/ be willing to produce the sound that is desired on certain songs. i just see everyone yelling out these names and i feel there is an untapped region of musicians out there that is being overlooked maybe that\'s not the right word. there are how many music schools in the region around here..... does no one know where they are or have the desire to post something up looking for a nasty keyboardist..... i know, not our job, it was more of an open ended question.

How about a synth operating DJ now that would be pretty interesting
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006, 04:51:20 pm »
Quote from: peaches626
i say give the trio a chance....
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 05:05:17 pm »
Vic said they had sent the word out at berkley. I think that\'s probably your best bet for now:

young unknown kid
wants to play
knows his shit if he\'s at berkley

also, any new member should not try to be jordan! Did Keith try to be pigpen? No, he came in with his own style and the band changed as a result. Some songs may get changed, others may be dropped if they just don\'t work, but the new member should bring his own sound. If he is going to learn the parts for the older songs the way jordan played them fine, but new material should reflect his (hers?) style of singing and playing.

Don\'t be suprized if this takes a while either, the band has to find someone that they can put up living with on the road, write with AND play with. That\'s alot to go through. In the mean time, TOMATOTRON!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006, 05:32:07 pm »
a synth playing dj makes me cringe. fwiw....

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 05:33:24 pm »
I hope they go with an unknown player I know they have recieved interest from a guy out here who shreds, sings, writes and is already a big Bfast fan Oh and ready to move 2 CT
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006, 05:57:43 pm »
if he\'s a friend of leiths, no way!

j/k ;)

in the mean time:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2006, 05:58:44 pm »
school.of.rock.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 06:07:28 pm »
I like Leith\'s idea. I\'d like fresh blood, another cherry for the popping if you will.

However,
Tomatotron makes me cringe.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2006, 06:45:37 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa
Vic said they had sent the word out at berkley. I think that\'s probably your best bet for now:

young unknown kid
wants to play
knows his shit if he\'s at berkley

And he\'ll have to know his shit to play in the band. Don\'t forget, the band has developed as a four piece over the years to become a tight unit of technically excellent musicians. A new player of a decent standard might well have fitted in a few years ago, but the music is way too advanced now for some developing raw talent, it needs to be someone who can match our boys\' ability.

Vic has the right idea about places like Berkeley. Realistically, I don\'t think they have much chance of easily finding some unknown talent who isn\'t already ripping it up with a band. It needs to be someone technically proficient already because they are not going to have that time to develop.

At the moment, we are all thinking about what will happen to the jams and where are we going to get a singer like Jordan? which puts a lot of pressure on the new guy. I hope to see the fanbase accept his voice/ideas/style. Many thought Pigpen could not be replaced, but look at the grief when Brent and Vince died - their styles were different, but they were definitely true members of the band, not just replacements.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2006, 06:52:04 pm »
I had a friend who went to Berkley and he stated, and I have heard this from numerous people who attended Berkley, if you graduate from Berkley you are doing something wrong. There is lots of talent around Berkley but many feel they are "musicians" and some get turned off by the jamband scene because they feel it is too generic. I wouldn\'t be surprised if there is a gem sitting around Boston at Berkley waiting to get out of there.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2006, 11:13:05 am »
They should eliminate keys altogether and fill the void with one of the following instruments:

1.  Turntables - Ru-r-ru-r-ru-rufus breaks my balls y\'all!
2.  Cello - Would sound great on Fairy, Vera Street, and Wild Pack of Asscracks
3.  Lead Singer (vox only) - The music is ready, the band is really just one rock star away from sold-out $80-$200 tickets every show.
4.  Mandolin - It\'s all about Bouree
5.  2nd bass player - Imagine...in mid-jam Ron and bass player #2 walk to the front center of the stage...  One lays down a sick line, the other starts slap-soloing furiously...  Then they switch... Then they both go off...  The crowd goes bananas... yes, the possibilites are endless.
6.  Trombone - Jed Kordell\'s trombone stint on Sgt. Pepper\'s is the most underrated guest appearance in band history.
7.  Hammer Dulcimer - Speaking of underrated, why not become the only band to feature the world\'s most underrated instrument?  Wouldn\'t you have to see "that band with the hammer dulcimer guy?"
8.  Choir - Imagine the soaring, epic gospel vocal climaxes in What The Funk, Drunk Monk Bar, and Tricky Ways.  Sure it\'ll be tough for 40 people to split 1 band member\'s pay a night, but the promise of the instant international stardom of being The Breakfast\'s choir should offset that.

I mean c\'mon...everyone does keyboards.  Let\'s get creative here people! :)

Rujah

• team digest
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 11:25:39 am »
Quote from: Wolfman

3.  Lead Singer (vox only) - The music is ready, the band is really just one rock star away from sold-out $80-$200 tickets every show.
I mean c\'mon...everyone does keyboards.  Let\'s get creative here people! :)

i agree with most of your points and I hope their tix do get up that high and I am not saying I wouldn\'t pay to see them at those prices, it\'s just I kind of like seeing them for $15-20 although I\'m sure they aren\'t making as much as they should or wish they were. just my $.02 add that to the collection.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 12:35:13 pm »
You don\'t really agree with me, do you?  I hope not.