Author Topic: jordan giangreco appreciation thread  (Read 5646 times)

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
jordan giangreco appreciation thread
« on: July 09, 2006, 12:45:35 am »
i\'m sitting at work, not seeing tonights show, wishing like hell that i\'d gone up last night. the set list isn\'t up yet but i spoke to adrian and he said that jordan had a great night....that they all did! one thing about life...it just keeps moving on.....and on and on. i applaud jordan and nicki for their decision. ultimately we all have to do for us and ours and those decisions have to be made.  any decision is eventually proven right or wrong, but all we can do is make the best choice we can at the time. i wish you both luck and success with what i\'m sure has been one of the hardest things you\'ll ever have to do. jordan, along with his brothers, has provided me with some of the most incredible and dynamic musical moments of my life and i will always cherish these times. thanks for everything my friend and i look forward to the day when you take the stage again with your friends to make us all boogie and smile.
duane

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 07:32:34 am »
:that:
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 10:38:08 am »
someone else already said it in another thread, but Jordan will always be a part of the band. i hope the best for sequoia and i will always cherish the music that he has been a part of.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
    • http://horizonmusicgroup.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 11:24:27 am »
Having been involved with bands for 30 plus years i have to say that this one of the most difficult splits i have ever been involved in.  These guys will always have an unbeatable chemistry onstage, and i know that even while the show last nite went super smooth, the guys were missing that extra oomph onstage.

Jordan is one of the few keyboardists around here that gets me hyopped up, and I ully expect to have to cast a wide net to find a replacement.

Meanwhile, I hope to have Jordan on soe upcoming John MacCartjy dates, which feature the rhythm section of Living Colour.  Keep an eye out.  I will post here when we get that afloat.

Meanwhile I hope Jordan enjoys the breakk and uses it to get his situation organized....because i know it won\'t be too long before he\'s looking to jam with someone.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 12:30:01 pm »
i was actually gonna start a thread about this today myself..after last night,i have so many things floating around in my head about this that i need to vent a bit..
firstly,jordan"the flying sequoia tree"will always be my brother.he and nicki are about as topshelf as they come.ive had some great times with both of them,and theres plenty more to come im sure.
last night...hmm..last night...well what can i say?it was amazing.timmy,save,and ad have an onstage chemistry that is second to none.its ridiculous.borderline telopathic.but there was something missing.when i walked in and seen the stage setup i was in awe.to think that timmy was gonna be a guitar fucking MONSTER and also pull off keyboard detail baffled me.ill tell ya what,he pulled it off..outta the gates they played some of their most layered and complex tunes.there was no holdin back last night.ill admit,i got a little choked up by the first jordan-less doughboy.but the page has turned.we all need to deal with the reality that this is whats what.we need to respect these guys for what they do.it cant be easy.
back in 99 i was a huge gd fan.i still am,but thats neither here nor there.
i used to see shakedown as often as possible,at as many mickeymouse doozie locations as humanly possible.one night i was at a local bar enjoying a ice cold guinness when the keyboard player of shakedown came stumblin in.i immediately made my way over and introduced myself.turned out we lived a frisbee toss away from each other.when i say a frisbee toss i mean a 160g+.with a 185 i could probably hit his front door.but anyways...
ill never forget him telling me about this "new thing"hes doing now.im pretty sure he failed to mention the name of this "new thing",but i remember him mentioning this maniac guitar player and i was curious to find out more.
about a week or 2 later,while cruisin up the street i drove by the brickhouse(a scumhole bar in the heart of staven)and seen "PSYCHEDELIC BREAKFAST-TONIGHT"..i scratched my head and the curiousity was unexplainable.i vowed to find out what the fuck this psychedelic breakfast was all about.at this point of my life,believe it or not,i loved pink floyd,so i recogniced the reference.i was also a huge fan of psychedelics,but whats that gotta do with the price of tea in china?
i remember walkin in and seeing the sequoia(even before he was the sequoia)wiring up some equipment.JANUARY 2,1999 IS A NIGHT THAT LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE.
on this night i met 3 of the nicest,funniest,most down to earth kids ive ever had the pleasure of meeting.i love these guys.i love jordan.im behind these guys no matter what they do.i wish jordan luck.i wish the guys continues success.
salud!!!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

crimsonknuckles

• makes geniuses disappear!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 01:05:43 pm »
this is very sad. i\'ve had a horrible 2006 so far,it\'s been filled with tons of problems and disasters one after another, an avalanche of bad news. this just tops them all. i love and live the breakfast and jordan was an amazing part of the band. it\'s very sad. i feel for all you guys who grew up with the band. what a void. can\'t wait to hear last night. breakfast rules!!!! jordan rules!!!!!!
" Let\'s go Islanders!!!!!!! "
" A festive mood is all around, Another world is what we found "
" Brewin\' funk inside my soul kitchen so pullup a chair here\'s a bit have a listen "

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 01:13:32 pm »
last night was surreal.
you gotta take your hats off to these guys for keepin on truckin.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

peaches626

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 02:16:31 pm »
ya last night was something else, timmy ripped shit on the keys..... probably my fav future peek so far.... but doughboy def felt funny...... here\'s to the past, here\'s to the future, thanks for everything jordan
taints rule, gypsies drool!

sconnie4satan

• from the block...
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 02:24:09 pm »
duane - check the jordan\'s last show thread for what we got of the Fri setlist....not confirmed yet.

gonna miss Jordan\'s sound in the mix.  I didn\'t start appreciating it until it was turned up just right one night and I really dug it...and really iistened to him a lot more from then on...gonna be sad to not see him up there rockin\' out with the boys.  Thanks for a great 1000th and the (albeit brief) set in Indy last weekend...wish I coulda made the Beardslee, but oh well.  

Here\'s to Jordan being happy and wishing for him to sit in sometime soon!  cheers!
:beerban:
Don\'t shoot the messenger it\'s not his fault...
It\'s just a drag when you\'re the last one to know.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 05:02:42 pm »
I consider myself very fortunate to have caught the west coast tour this past March.  I\'m really going to miss you, Jordan.  Thanks for all the spectacular shows and memories!

I\'m thinking of coming out for the Aug. Daniel St. show.  Is it too early to request a sit-in?  Hopefully the Breakfast bug (Mayfly) will bite you and force the local appearance.  ;)
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 06:16:17 pm »

gonna miss these ^^^^ jams a lot.  a great part of a show would be when they broke these ambient space jams out. gonna miss ya, sequoia
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 07:33:09 pm »
shit... it\'s really tough to put these thoughts clearly into words, transcribed via the intraweb...but, we\'ll give it a shot, cause man, it\'s def. needed.. before I even "got it" I remember hearing kidzzz say, "Jordan doesn\'t fit with the others" and shit like " the keys are the weakest link", and even then I would just laugh and scoff at these f00ls.. and once my understanding and spiritual realization occured with these musicians, I really began to feel bad for those with their distorted views and opinions )althoug who am I to judge???).. this guys playing was the real deal... more fucking soul than the bottom of your shoes and his sense of layering and distorting of sounds was HUGE into the whole PB sound, and although not always able to be heard clearly/fully in certain recordings or certain rooms.... his tickling of the ivories really helped glue and solidify the cohesive jamming that this band has molded into thier performances... with a few more years of playing/living under his belt, it is clear to see his influence on the others\' in the band, both on and off stage....
and as a person, I really can\'t say I know to many others that embody the sheer positivity and wholesome goodness that Jordan does.. I honestly didn\'t get to know him that well, but the Jordan I have known over the years is one ser d00d... thanks bud, and enjoy the sherly.... hope to hear and see a lot more from you  in the future..
ps.. thanks to the margaritas and jameson crushes that helped me formulate this through this funny electrical box....:inky:  thanks holmes........................

oh yah- those shows he played with a cast on?!?!?!?! sorta like adrain now with his ankle... WTF?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:33:09 pm by Buquebus »
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

Rujah

• team digest
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 08:01:31 pm »
The master at work at 2005 Rocks Off Boat Cruise . . .

A little relaxing during the power outage . . .

Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 02:21:42 am »
Thanx Jordan for all you did onstage and off.
You truly gave color to the sound of The Breakfast.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 02:29:31 am »
After reading Freddies post, my heart is beating with the familiar sad anxiety that it was beating on Friday night, and yet again on Saturday.  For the most part Jordan leaving the band was public knowledge for over a month now, and his last show was inevitable.  If it wasn\'t mentioned on here it was pretty obvious that the 1000th show was going to, most likely, be his last Connecticut show.

I wasn\'t sure what show it was going to be, but i figured he would be doing weekends until the end of the summer. When I got into the van on Friday afternoon and heard that Beardsley was going to be the show, my heart sank a bit and really made me wonder how the  night was going to go.  I texted a couple of people to see if the word had gotten out and if not to get the word out.

The whole day was a roller coast ride of emotions for me.  Just really starting to work with this band and still quite wet behind the ear, my mind just raced all day.  Although everything about Friday was smooth and just plain wonderful (if you can believe that), there was definitely an air of sorrow, loss, and pain that was woven into all of our surroundings.

Beardsley Castle property is an amazing spot of earth with a true vibe to it, and the folks who run it are top shelf.  We were treated like royalty and the entire day from load in, through dinner and on was pure perfection.  Up until showtime, I really believed that the sadness had left.

I was wrong.  Once the band started, it ran through my mind that this was the beginning of the last true Breakfast show in the Sequoia era.  Startled, I started looking for familiar faces and there were many.  The band was playing with a ferocity that took me back to 2002.  As much as I was enjoying the music and energy from the show, i couldn\'t help but think about all the people who weren\'t there that should have been.  That made me start thinking about how big the show would have been if it were there more advanced notice than six or so hours to get to upstate New York.  

Through the night I came to the realization that there was no way any show was going to actually be billed as the Sequoia\'s last and that in a span of 48 hours I will have gotten to see the the end of the beginning and the beginning of something that could be it.  If it ever comes to be, whatever it may be, one fact that will always remain is that it could never have been with out its beginnings.  That thought comforted and excited me enough to lift through the sadness and enjoy the rest of the night into the morning and into the afternoon.

The realization of all the surrealistic horror I had experienced the day before, hit me square when I didn\'t have to unload Leslie and the Beast into the Corner Pocket on Saturday night.

Back in the days (1999-2003) when I would only get to a few local shows a month, and mostly with BillyChags, he would always say that Jordan put the Psychedelic in Psychedelic Breakfast.  And even after the name change, Psychedelic Breakfast or PB was what this band was, but on Saturday for the first time, since the inception of this band, the Psychedelic was figuratively and literally gone.

Drunk Monk Bar, Buquebus, Doughboy, and Future Peek as played on this past Saturday by The Breakfast (or B.Fast) were some of the highlights of the evening but there was piece missing.  And for all those at The Corner Pocket that night that piece was one Flying Sequoia Branch.

Well the pages keep on turning and the only question I have is, "How fucking long is this book?".  At this point we all just have to stay tuned as the pages of the Breakfast book flip from cover to cover.  

Will the B.Fast make waves as an eventual legendary rock and roll three-piece?  Is there a keyboard player with enough balls and talent out there to fill the roll of Keyboardist For The Breakfast?  I have no idea, but am glad that I am fortunate enough to be able to witness and partake in this story unfolding.

Sequia, it has been amazing to be able to share in your musical world.  Thank you and please keep the .info world abreast of your endeavors and collaborations.

Love Ya Bro,
Stephen
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:37:51 am by Stephengencs »
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph