Author Topic: Mike Gordon w/ Ramble Dove Dates:  (Read 1481 times)

WALSH

• Mahoney
    • http://
Mike Gordon w/ Ramble Dove Dates:
« on: April 13, 2006, 12:01:43 pm »
MIKE GORDON & RAMBLE DOVE MAY/JUNE 2006

05/29/2006 - Toad\'s Place, New Haven, CT*
05/30/2006 - The Paradise, Boston, MA*
05/31/2006 - Irving Plaza, New York, NY*
06/02/3006 - Higher Ground, Burlington, VT (Honky Tonk The Vote Benefit)
06/03/2006 - Pearl Street, Northampton, MA*
06/04/2006 - Mountain Jam Music Festival, Woodstock, NY
06/17/2006 - Bonnaroo Music Festival, Manchester, TN

* with special guests Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

I am very curious about this "honky tonk" band that he is with, I will do a few of these.  The Mountain Jam looks really good too.
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 12:44:19 pm »
i just was about to post this! buying tickets now!  should be a great night @ toads

any chance of timmy at bar this night, it\'s monday?  TT>Toads
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:53:05 pm by RadicalRich1138 »

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 12:53:08 pm »
<<<<<<<<<<-------- Hoping that Mike drops the redneck shit and starts funkin it up again Bootsy stylee...
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

WALSH

• Mahoney
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 12:57:42 pm »
I actually throw up in my mouth a little when I see that you have posted to a thread;) How many times have you seen his new project to know that it already needs to end?  Always negative.

BTW, I love the \'97 Cow Funk, but it did kill Phish.

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 12:59:05 pm »
mike gordon + gordon stone + toads = quality

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 01:01:59 pm »
No, not negative, just realistic. The last several Gordo projects have been bluegrass, avantgrass fused. I miss one of the best bass players EVER and wish he would do some more projects ie The Duo, or what have you. I want to see Mike at his funkest because that\'s what I and many fans prefer.  When is it a crime to state a personal preference?
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 01:04:16 pm »
did you see mike when he played @ toads for the inside in tour?  that tour was fucking awesome!  i didnt go to the toads show but i saw the NYC one, that band was great! and that album

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 01:05:36 pm »
Taken from mike-gordon.com
Mike and a handful of Vermont\'s finest twangers will take the cozy confines of Honky Tonk Tuesdays to the big stage at 2006 Bonnaroo, where they will pay tribute to giants like Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzell, and George Jones, as well as modern greats like Jim Lauderdale and Gram Parsons. Have beers at the ready for twang and tears.

^^^ Rather see Mike pay tribute to Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham and Stanley Clarke...

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 01:07:50 pm »
"Have beers at the ready for twang and tears."

done and done

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 01:13:23 pm »
No Walsh, Cow Funk didn\'t kill Phish, the throngs of misguided rich, serotonin/dopamine depleted backstage crowds/fans, a guitarist with a serious opiate addiction and narcissistic personality disorder, an out of control corporate infrastructure and a bigger than Jesus mindset killed Phish...

WALSH

• Mahoney
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 01:44:29 pm »
I\'m talking strictly music, when I say Phish...who cares about all of the other shit.  Musically the funk was awesome but it left the band complacent and able to bail themselves out of any musical corner they might have been getting into(ala TAKING CHANCES), by dropping into the same recycled funk jam that had grown stale by the \'99.  This also lead to Trey\'s "groove" stage which he has stated was "wrong" to force upon the other members,  Especially Mike.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 01:51:26 pm »
The other factors lead to the music turning to shit and retarded the bands musical development. I love 97-00, those are my type of jams. The improvisations were full of Gordon in the drivers seat, while the band found ways to focus on not playing a thousand notes per jam, but rather the sound as a whole. I am a huge fan of ambient music, specifically Robert Fripp and Brian Eno\'s work. The band wanted to abandon their progressive roots for a more stream of consciousness approach to improvisation. As Trey put it in an interview, they were concentrating more on the notes that weren\'t played. If you want Walsh I can hook you up with some prime examples of how ambient music influenced post Fall 97-00.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 06:09:02 pm »
i\'m gonna go for grace potter and leave early.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 10:09:08 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher
i\'m gonna go for grace potter and leave early.

Ladies and Gentlemen, post of the year...

WALSH

• Mahoney
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 10:56:00 pm »
I know exactly what they were going for as far as the ambient jams.  One of the best things from post-97 is the 4th set from the Lemonwheel, the "Ambient Set"...I get all that.  But they still had all the other elements there.  They stopped taking chances with jams though.  That is what I mean as afr as the funk killing Phish.  Don\'t get me wrong, I LOVE all Phish had to offer and then some-as a whole. I take each era at its own worht and get way into it, all its modes and colors.  But as a whole the jams got a little to wanky Trey over a vamping band.  Making Mike and Fish play repetitive beats and rythmns over and over again.  People loved it, but it was more for Trey fans than anything else.