Author Topic: Can we set up a taper fund for tours?  (Read 2180 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Can we set up a taper fund for tours?
« on: March 28, 2006, 05:56:04 pm »
Wayne had to pay $40 last night to The Temple Bar so that WE could enjoy this show for all eternity. It was the club\'s policy and if Wayne had not ponied up the $. This would be another show lost for no good reason.

I was wondering if a paypal acct could be set up to help cover things like this?

I know I gave him $2 and alZ gave him some $ as Gabe did to I think.
If we had an acct. Wayne could just submit a request to Dave or something and get reimbursed.

We do not need to be losing out on these spectacular shows for stupid shit like this ya know?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 06:10:37 pm »
how many venues actually pull shit like this?  is this a west coast thing?  shouldn\'t it be up to the band?

leith

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 06:16:44 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher
how many venues actually pull shit like this?  is this a west coast thing?  shouldn\'t it be up to the band?

What do you mean up to the band? The Temple Bar offers a recording "service".
The best we could figure out is they were just looking to recoup $40 they would have gotten from the band (if the band even wanted to pay for a recording) for their "service", if Wayne was not taping.
I have no idea if it is a "west coast thing" I just know it is a shitty thing.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 06:21:31 pm »
Was it just an audience or did he get to plug into the soundboard?

I never heard of a bar asking for money to record a show in their venue. I guess it makes sense to someone.

But, I totally agree with Leith and getting a fund together for the tapers. There is nothing worse than a show going untaped.

Thanks again, Wayne!
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 06:22:50 pm »
sorry, couldn\'t understand, i was under the impression the bar charged wayne 40 bucks to tape the show.  so the bar tapes it themselves, but wouldn\'t let wayne tape?  or let him tape and he also paid 40 bucks for their copy?  i\'m lost.

leith

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 06:29:36 pm »
Ok I think the bar tapes the show only if the band PAYS for it. Now I guess the band was not having it so when Wayne set up they had him sign some B.S. to let him tape and charged him $40. This WAS NOT A BOARD PATCH EITHER!! Fuckin\' B.S. At least make it worth the $40!!!!!! and patch him in!!

Now Charles of the Oxnard crew was not charged anything for his video camera which he taped the whole show with. So WTF? is up? I have no clue but I know a Bfam member got shafted and that is uncool.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 06:41:39 pm »
That\'s bullshit. The venue was pissed because the band wouldn\'t pay an absurd "service fee" for a recording and a fan who wants to spread the music gets shafted because the bar wasn\'t making the money.

:wet fart noises:

Fuck that! I\'ll send a few dollars to Wayne for the trouble and hassle of being a taper.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:44:11 pm »
That is def bullshit, but it is a very UNCOMMON happening.  But their club their rules....
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 08:00:21 pm »
wow. i\'ve NEVER heard of anything like that before. board patches? sure. most recently, the knitting factory wanted to charge me $50 to plug into their board. i declined. i can understand it though - boards are big bucks, and it\'s their equipment..

but to charge for someone to make an audience recording with their own equipment - what exactly are they charging for? it\'s the band\'s MUSIC, and it\'s wayne\'s gear. i\'m a little lost here. i\'m curious to know if it were dobson setting up a rig, if the same thing would have happened..

i\'d like to hear some more about this from the horse\'s mouth (wayne)...

as for a \'fund\', i don\'t think it\'s really necessary, because things like this are so uncommon. yes it sucks, and yes we should get wayne his money back, and as the band\'s archivist, i\'m even willing to foot the bill, but i think a fund is just a little pointless..

ugh. this makes me ill..

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 08:13:27 pm »
I was interpreting fund as donation.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 08:17:21 pm »
Quote from: leith
If we had an acct. Wayne could just submit a request to Dave or something and get reimbursed.

that sounds like a fund. ;)

jason-a

• drums rule
    • http://tribedescribe.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 09:05:11 pm »
Ya I have never heard of something like that, As a Bfam taper I would have gone to the band and asked them if they knew what was going on?? Then maybe would have told then it was the bands gear and I had to help the sound guy or something?? No? could wayne have put his foot down? I know it is a tricky thing because you do not want to piss off the bar and get thrown out or make it look bad for the band. So tough call if you were not there. Dave let me know what you do about this if you need some cash from me or something?

wstielau

• http://
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 12:10:59 am »
Quote from: davepeck
i\'d like to hear some more about this from the horse\'s mouth (wayne)...

When I first got to the Temple Bar they asked me if I was going to be doing video recording, and said if I was I would have to sign some kind of waiver. I told them I was just recording audio. At that point they seemed satisfied and said there was nothing I had to sign. While the band was finishing setting up, about 15 minutes before start of show I was told by the house sound guy that I had to pay a $40 fee or I could not record. He was emphatic that this was a management decision, not his, although I was never approached by any of the "management". From the contents of the paper I had to sign it appears that the Temple Bar offers a "service" to bands to provide them with an audio recording of their performance for a $40 fee. I would assume this is a SBD source. I guess they felt they were losing out on the fee by my recording. I had already sat through two mediocre opening bands and it was raining outside, so I really didn\'t want to tear my gear down and haul it back to the car in the rain without a recording, so I paid them. Now that I think of it, I should have insisted that they also should have provided the band with the soundboard recording since that was what I really paid for.

This is the same thing that happened to me a few years ago when the band played at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood. While Ron was adding me to the guest list, they informed us that I could not even bring my recording gear into the venue without paying a $50 fee up front.

That was the first time I\'ve been to the Temple Bar. Another SoCal band I record, "Delta Nove" plays there pretty reguarly and I had considered going up there to record them too but there is not much of a chance of that now at $40 a pop.

-Wayne

phishermanjohn

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 01:37:45 am »
its about time the breakfast got fucked by a venue.  Think of how the proprietor of Pop\'s Blue Moon felt when the breakfast just took off without cancelling the gig in St. Louis.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 11:42:26 am »
I have heard of some venues trying to pull this kind of shit. It is completely BS.

Ill be more than happy to throw a few bucks at the issue but may we suggest the band does not play this venue again ?

I can see no reason why they would ask for $ for making an AUD recording. The band playing is taper friendly and its their music. The venue should just ban aud taping completely if they want to sell their dry lifeless soundboard recordings. So instead of being nice to their paying customers they have alienated a local guy who will now most likely not go back to their venue.

smooth move. I say if the band ever plays there again we get like 15 tapers to show up and setup see if they are willing to charge everyone $40 and or kick out a bunch of paying customers.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19