Author Topic: Why do YOU think The Breakfast hasn\'t blown up yet???  (Read 7596 times)

WALSH

• Mahoney
    • http://
Why do YOU think The Breakfast hasn\'t blown up yet???
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2006, 12:26:34 pm »
Meh, the name ain\'t that big a deal.  If names kept people from music then why does moe. and SCI play to 4 and 5 thousand people.  Why did Phish(it is a DUMB name to those who aren\'t fans, trust me) play to 80,000 people in ME every year and continuously sell out venues?  The Disco Biscuits is an AWFUL name, but they always bring a few thousand to the shows and they have barely played the last few years.  

Playing, Playing and PLaying some more, and then it still might NEVER happen...if it were that easy everyone would be in a rock band.  The more the name is out there, silly or not, the more people will go to see them.  Just play more Breakfast shows and less solo sideprojects...get at IT!
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2006, 12:27:37 pm »
Quote from: Gordo
i still think their name hurts em. with so many jambands out there, i think people tend to judge a book by its cover whether or not they want to admit it. when people ask me who my favorite band is, they cringe at my answer without hearing a note. then they laugh and will compare em immediately with a comment like, "sounds like another retarded String Cheese Incident or something."

so yeah i guess without a ton of exposure, its hard for people to give them a chance. jambase and relix reeeaaalllly get on my nerves for not giving TB the time of day like they should.

I am a huge advocate of this band and I remember when I was living in New Bedford, MA and I was talking to a co-worker in the restaurant I worked at and I began to tell her about Psychedelic Breakfast and such, as soon as I told her the name of the band, she said something like, "that\'s a horrible name" or something like that and someone else who was a neutral 3rd party agreed. I personally, am not a huge fan of the bands name but I don\'t really give a shit if they were called poop, as long as they can play but,like Gordo said, most people judge a book by its cover and never give them a chance. To those " prejudice" mofo\'s, eat it.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2006, 12:32:41 pm »
haha, someday i\'ll play in a band called poop.

poop=funniest word ever.
Postcount +1.

bonzo

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2006, 04:25:26 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb
haha, someday i\'ll play in a band called poop.

poop=funniest word ever.

nice :lol:

Jim Cobb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2006, 04:34:49 pm »
just say it.  it\'s hilarious!
Postcount +1.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2006, 04:48:29 pm »
Peter: "Hey Lowis, \'poop\'!"
Lowis: (laughing) "Come on Peter, I\'m carrying lemonade!"
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Jim Cobb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2006, 04:54:48 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa
Peter: "Hey Lois, \'DIARHEA\'!"
Lowis: (laughing) "Come on Peter, I\'m carrying ICED TEA!"

^fixed.

get your family guy quotes straight, mister. ;)
Postcount +1.

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2006, 05:08:13 pm »
i have heard people criticise timmy\'s soloing, saying that "he plays too many notes too fast and it can be overwhelming."  to me, if you can hear the notes and how they work together, you\'d see that he has an incredibly sophisticated approach to jumping from scale to scale. but thats just me. morons.
caress me, aunt jemima

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2006, 05:20:02 pm »
Quote from: Lexington
i have heard people criticise timmy\'s soloing, saying that "he plays too many notes too fast and it can be overwhelming."  to me, if you can hear the notes and how they work together, you\'d see that he has an incredibly sophisticated approach to jumping from scale to scale. but thats just me. morons.

Morons. Exactly.  Quality bands toil underground while Limp Bizkit sells like billion records.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2006, 05:27:05 pm »
i"m not gonna say the Breakfast is for every one.  It takes a certain kinda person to appreciate it.  So it doesn\'t really surprise me when I hear these kind of comments.  It can really be too much for people.  It\'s just when someone says they are bad, or bad musicians.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2006, 06:35:00 pm »
Quote from: Lexington

I read an interview from a few years ago where John McLaughlin addressed the same issueof he plays with too many notes too. His response was basically...

"I’ve been accused a million times of playing too fast or too many notes, and I’m sure justifiably sometimes. But, you know, I’m the way I am and as we grow old, we learn and I’m still learning about space. But I’ll be learning about space until I die."
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

WALSH

• Mahoney
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2006, 08:16:00 pm »
The thing is, I do not really think it is bad to say that TPalms plays too many notes(shit, Trey always got made fun of for that.), opinions are great.  At least they are talking about the band.  Any publicity is good publicity.  I love Tim and the Breakfast, but I have my things that I would change...but it ain\'t my band.  Musically they are incredible, but raw at the same time.  They are still so young as a band and I believe that year after year they continue to mature as a band and find the \'space\' that McLaughlin speaks of.  

I for one want to point out, after being one of the biggest critics last tour, that they have mixed their setlists up very well this tour.  Even the new songs are getting played, but not overplayed(ala Inner Glimpse).  It really is an important thing if they want people to really start touring with them.  If the show is different every night, people will feel the urge to be at as many as possible.period.  This is the thing that most impresses me with the tour so far as far as just looking at setlists(I have only heard Nevada)...actually the Nevada \'Queeb is the one thing that impressed me the most, then mixing up setlists;)
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2006, 08:26:07 pm »
Timmy plays in one show the same amount of notes Barber\'s played in his whole entire career.  I still think the band name is shitty. The Breakfast is the most awkward phrase ever, it just doesn\'t work.  They might as well switch it to The Fast Break....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2006, 08:35:04 pm »
When I first started listening, "The Breakfast" seemed like a silly name to me... but I don\'t even think about it anymore.  It\'s kinda like "BAR" and the pizza - the name isn\'t as important as u think.  I don\'t think people would choose to not listen to this band just because of the name.
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2006, 08:40:45 pm »
You don\'t but every Joe and Jane in the general public does....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.