Author Topic: Setlist: 2006-03-09 - Jazz Haus; Lawrence, KS  (Read 4068 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2006-03-09 - Jazz Haus; Lawrence, KS
« on: March 10, 2006, 09:13:32 am »
I: Cut Me Some Slack, The Vermont Song, Gravity > Fairy > Gravity > Surreal Radio > Puppetry*, Doughboy

II: Beef Barley, Peace Frog > Taboo Or Not Taboot, Honey Butter > Phaddy Boom Baddy, Space City Affair > Hard Luck Harry > Superfly Phaddy Fat

* with extended drum intro.

Thanks to bezerker for the call!

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:16:55 am »
Cut me SOme Slack opener BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAA...

Gravity>Fairy>Gravity= :)

And I just noticed that the band has two songs with the word Phaddy in the title...
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:24:11 am »
this email was waiting for me this morning from one of my old phish tour companions in Lawrence, KS:

The Breakfast

As Mike so articulately said, These guys shred.

The drummer is an absolute beast.  He could easily be mistaken for a hobbit, being less than five feet tall and having a thick beard and a bit of belly.  Despite of his small stature, he is large on the drums.  Some drummers are content with keeping the beat only, hitting the snare on the downbeat and keeping tempo with the hi-hat.  The Breakfasts hobbit on the drums is always moving, always hitting something.  He does the things a drummer needs to do, he hits the snare on the downbeat and keeps tempo with the cymbals.  He also does things he does not need to do, always filling the space between the beats with lively communication.

The bass player takes the opposite approach, but achieves the same results.  He keeps the pocket deeper than you would expect with the flurry of drumming behind him.  Somehow, the bass is able to exude warmth in its sound, across the scale, from high to low.  The bass player works magic through his willingness to keep quiet.  The bass is a minimalist instrument in The Breakfast.  When the playing is condensed as much as it is with the bass in The Breakfast, the silence makes the bass stand out that much more than it would if the bass was playing a plethora of notes, a la Les Claypool.  

The guitar is the guitar.  He is versatile, has fifteen thousand (give or take a grand) pedals, and can go from the funky wah of 70s blaxploitation to the hard edge of Steve Vai.  The guitar is so good that it does not need to be analyzed or analogized.  It is what it is, and The Breakfast would not be The Breakfast without Tims guitar.

The keyboard is the only part I have less than glowing things to say.  Perhaps it was the dynamics of the Jazzhaus, perhaps it was the mix, or maybe his playing was in such synchronous step as the guitar, but it was the only instrument that I consistently lost in the sound.  On Superfly Phaddy Fat and Hard Luck Harry, there were some moments of inspiration.  In those songs, I was able to hear distinctly a counter-melody moving against the guitar, rather than merely being an echo of it.

The Breakfast has improved SO MUCH since I last heard them.  They are so tight and so together that it becomes difficult at times, to distinguish whether they are playing an amazingly long yet completely composed song, and when it is improvisational jamming.  This last comment might not leap out as a compliment, but I mean it as such.  The band is really growing, really improving, and I look forward to hearing them again.

Richard - somewhere between wakeful dreaming and slumbering imagination

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 09:30:37 am »
nice review, i bet he would have had a little more to say about jordan if they busted out a Queb, no mention of the synth at all.

keep throwing it down boys.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 10:00:56 am »
looks pretty solid!

and dave, your avatar cracks me up. every. single. time!

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
    • http://horizonmusicgroup.com
Review
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 10:21:08 am »
Dave...

See if your bud will send that to Relix, Jambands, Jambase, Rhombus, et al.

Thanks

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 10:25:28 am »
great read considering the drama from yesterday.

Nice to see a positive write up.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 10:41:36 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s

:that:

Jordan has always been one of the tougher members of the band to hear sometimes. It is something we all have dealt with but when he does come through load and clear, watchout!
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 10:51:33 am »
The crowd was small, and I would guess less than 30 people excluding those traveling with the band.  It was a bit disappointing, but as I told Tim, had you not told me about it, I would never have known.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 12:48:28 pm »
Quote from: davepeck
The crowd was small, and I would guess less than 30 people excluding those traveling with the band.  It was a bit disappointing, but as I told Tim, had you not told me about it, I would never have known.

a k a, bad promo by venue, fans, etc. in the pancake state
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

estahwhaddup

• probably the only asian
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 01:06:16 pm »
show looks badassss, despite the crowd number.  i\'m waiting for responses from my buddies in omaha b/c this was their first bfast show and their second one will be tonight.  i think the turnout in omaha will be more than iowa city or lawrence b/c nothing cool ever happens in omaha so people are really super pumped for the show!  and also its friday and all the college kids are off for spring break, so why not kick it off w/ some crunchy breakfast tunage?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 01:28:33 pm »
Quote from: davepeck
Gravity > Fairy > Gravity

Nice to see fairy made a return to the setlist.

Honey Butter > Phaddy Boom Baddy

Must have been tasty.

When they breaking out these new tunes?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 02:51:22 pm »
Quote from: Spacey
Quote from: kindm\'s

:that:

Jordan has always been one of the tougher members of the band to hear sometimes. It is something we all have dealt with but when he does come through load and clear, watchout!

He has been shining through on many of the 2006 recordings.  Sometimes you can hear him, other shows he\'s nowhere to be heard.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Spunk

• http://www.rezi.org
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 03:34:11 pm »
college kids on first day of spring break= kids going home

estahwhaddup

• probably the only asian
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 03:23:29 am »
Quote from: Spunk
college kids on first day of spring break= kids going home

are you kidding? HAHHA thats really funny b/c everyone who goes to university of nebraska at omaha/creighton univ(or at least 90%) IS FROM OMAHA.  they\'ll be around
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley