Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 3447 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Ubuntu
« on: February 20, 2006, 06:15:15 pm »
I installed Ubuntu on 1 of my old PC\'s and I have to say I am extremely impressed with this operating system. Any of you geeks out there running it ?

Or another flavor of Linux ? Just curious because I am kind of a linux newb.

http://www.ubuntu.com

probably the easiest OS i have ever installed. I really like the way it feels and looks.

kind of like the bastard child of Panther and win2k (the good parts)

Still running win2k on my audio machine but it has been like a breath of fresh air using another non-windows OS
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 06:26:02 pm »
does this replace windows? or is it in addition to?

I am planning on purchasing/creating a computer in the next few weeks/months and just wondered what hardware is essential or what is not?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Ubuntu
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:34:31 pm »
ubuntu is an operating system like windows. so you would use this instaed of windows.

best of all it is completely free
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Ubuntu
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 07:40:44 pm »
Does anyone know if it is better to purchase a basic computer or buy the parts and kinda morph it together?

I have an old computer down stairs that I would give the Ubuntu a try on. I need it before I stop running Windows?

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Ubuntu
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:29:31 pm »
re: buying vs. building

i would say it all depends on what you want to get in to. If you have an interest in putting together a machine then i say go for it. You get to choose all the parts and what you want to spend etc. and what you are designing it for. BUT with this path you also get the potential headaches of building a machine and when hardware doesn\'t get along it can really be a mind fuck. but having said that if you do your homework in advance you can minimize those issues.

Buying from say dell is nice if you want a machine thats going to probably work right out of the box. There isnt alot of money to be made in Hardware sales. They ususally make the money on software. So if they give an option to opt out of sopftware that always a good idea. you can also find it somewhere else. But this is nice because if there is an issue withthe machine they will fix it / replace etc.
It really depends on what you want. You\'ll get more for your money if you build it IMHO but weigh that vs. stress level

hope this helps

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Ubuntu
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 08:37:24 pm »
That is exactly what I was thinking. I am not one for stress but I also want to basically customize the computer to make it what I am looking to do but at the same time I also want it to be simple. Perhaps, I will see what I can get a monitor for and a bare tower and just add the software I need/want with some help from some experts.

I definitely need to research the topic much more.

ChrisF

• http://
Ubuntu
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 08:43:24 pm »
i wish i had known this last week, spacey. i could have gotten everything for free except the drives. i doubt i will have that opportunity again, but if i do ill hook you up.