Author Topic: Setlist: 2006-02-18 - Iron Horse Music Hall; Northampton, MA  (Read 15170 times)

bonzo

Setlist: 2006-02-18 - Iron Horse Music Hall; Northampton, MA
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2006, 04:00:32 pm »
that was out of control

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2006, 04:10:21 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn
I don\'t thiink Mornng Dew would br a good cover for them.

I do love me some No Quarter though...

For real, I don\'t think they could slow down enough to pull off a Morning Dew...

I could go for a Dazed and Confused :D
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2006, 04:47:56 pm »

Whathefunk

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2006, 04:50:24 pm »
Well, it won\'t be easy to follow a review like spacey\'s, i will do my best.  I ended up pregaming at a freind of a freind\'s house who lives in the amherst area and that was just the best way to start the night. These kids that i had never met were totally down with the Bfast but said (although members of .info) they never visited the board.  So we had a lil jam session of our own while enjoying some BBC growlers and watching "Tim Leary is Dead".  We got a lil caught up doing a rocky raccoon sing along before heading out, so we got there and were buying our tickets right as the band got up on stage.  I started out watching right by the stage for Space city>ep 3 but when i saw that the balcony was open i went up there for the view and let me tell ya, it was ser.  Watched most of GBFBITS from there and could really see the whole crowd getting down for the jam which was a def highlight of the night (my roomates fav part at least).  went back down stairs and spent some time behind the soundboard, immersed myself in the crowd a bit, then went back to stage side.  As freddy put it:
Quote from: ellis-d
adrian/save side last night=the place to be
 The DMB into blues installment of Ep. 3 was another  highlight of the night, just perfect.  I have to admit that i was a bit weary on the whole blues thing and always thought it should be a funky ending, but seeing it live for the first time last night i totally got it.  The Jam>No Regret was cool as always, that sorta RATM type jam.  Then when No Regret came to a close i remember Tim playing a couple dissonant notes and some one next to me (can\'t remember who it was) yelled, "Gladys!".  Low and behold, the sickest gladys i\'ve heard since Rev Hall followed.  Straight funk to end the set, just how i like it.  
Then comes an announcement by Tim that, "We are taking a short set break!"....no fuckin way! i had a feeling all week after missing Mill Street that they would have to do two sets! And now i found myself in a lil headie lot with a bunch of kids too cold to do anything but sit in there cars and partake.  
The first honey butter played to the students of Umass and dedicated to Butterfield was an amazing way to start the second set.  I liked this song a lot when i first heard it at NYE, but this one just shows how much of a monster it will become.  Another reason why this show was so great, was the amazing sound in there.  Dobz had the levels absolutely perfect, one of the best sounding shows (in terms of the mix) i\'ve ever seen from the bfast and def the best at Iron Horse, and the sound in there is always kickin\'.  Which brings me to Ellis\' lights which i thought were tremendous basically all night, and i will defend his "vision" to the death, cause i really don\'t mind the "dark times" and actually i like them a lot. i totally saw what Ellis meant when he said that he uses the lights to unify the band and not just put a spotlight on whoever was soloing at the moment during the rufus jam....there was like this big build up by the band and then Tim sorta took a lil solo to bring it up just one more step but instead of throwing a bunch of light on Tim, ellis kept it dark until the very last moment when they broke into the crescendo of the jam and Ellis threw on all the lights on the stage and the whole place just went from dark to light, from silent to deafening.  And that was probably my highlight of the show.  Hot for teacher was a fun way to end the show and sorta kept with the light hearted feel of the second set.  I was a bit dissapointed with the encore, although both of the songs are fav midset songs of mine, i just didn\'t really feel them as encores.  Especially after the SER bass solo i was a little let down that it wasn\'t somthing a lil more funky and upbeat, but i can\'t complain too much cause i had already gotten way more than i had expected coming in.  A two set show, ten less from a sell out, and my first ep. 3 made this a night to remember.  Hopefully we will get to see the boys playing at Pearl Street next time around!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 05:01:58 pm by Whathefunk »

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
    • http://
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2006, 06:42:49 pm »
no time for much, but that gladys was the HEAT!! tranced out funk in the first set that had me going like a 14 year old candy ass raver on four hits of Russian e-bombs. eppy 3 madness was executed as smooth as it gets.  as for the VH- you kidzzz need to know your history :) this show was killer.. honeybutter was ill- and the Rufus was up there with the Sterling Stage Rufus of yesteryear.. adrian and Ron killed it on thier solos.. encore was surprising- two songs I could hear at each and every show I attend paired together.. estahwhaddup thanks for the ride, and nice pic.. i\'m not sure why people referred to this as a "weird show"- I thought it was rather huge to be honest.
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 07:41:40 pm »
I will say though...  Best GBFB Jam since 3/25/05

darktipper88

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2006, 08:08:15 pm »
This was my first breakfast show, and it was awsome.
Does anyone have any pictures of it they can share?

Whathefunk

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2006, 08:14:20 pm »
welcome to the board, guy! i think someone posted a pic of Ron (the bass player) earlier in this thread and i\'m sure there will be more up by the end of the week if not sooner....so don\'t be a stranger and check back soon!  you can also download the show from last night on archive.org and bt.etree.org i believe.

darktipper88

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2006, 08:24:38 pm »
i\'ve got a BT going of the show off of etree, but it says i cant DL the one from the archive.
But these guys where awsome last night, totaly gained me as a fan.
Being right up on the stage the whole night was awsome, especialy being able to watch timmy rip it up.

MoeDown6Ownage

• IaintNOnewbie
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2006, 08:32:09 pm »
it had been too long....due to lack of money and job.  kick ass show. first set was very adventurous cuz ive never heard eppy 3 live. second set was killer...funky ass vermont song and the rest that followed was all sick.  the scene was pretty sweet.....ran into a couple sweaty trippers that are apparently some .info regulars.  all in all, a fun ass time.

oh by the way, jordan had a great show last night. im sayin MVP of the evening.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 08:33:31 pm by MoeDown6Ownage »

Whathefunk

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 08:34:16 pm »
Quote from: darktipper88
i\'ve got a BT going of the show off of etree, but it says i cant DL the one from the archive.
Being right up on the stage the whole night was awsome, especialy being able to watch timmy rip it up.

good to hear man! ya, the show was sick last night....archive will take a day or so to get cleared by the archive curator, but personally i\'m gonna d/l both just cause they prob sound different since they are from two diff taper rigs.  

If you need any shows i would suggest going to archive.org and downloading the latest ones, (esp. Nectars from dec. cuz its a soundboard) but also you can check out thetradersden.org cuz there are some DVDs for download up there.  If you need a B&P i would also be willing to hook you up.  So don\'t be shy! Welcome guy!

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2006, 08:36:56 pm »
i give animal mvp
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

darktipper88

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2006, 08:37:06 pm »
Quote from: Whathefunk
Quote from: darktipper88

good to hear man! ya, the show was sick last night....archive will take a day or so to get cleared by the archive curator, but personally i\'m gonna d/l both just cause they prob sound different since they are from two diff taper rigs.  

If you need any shows i would suggest going to archive.org and downloading the latest ones, (esp. Nectars from dec. cuz its a soundboard) but also you can check out thetradersden.org cuz there are some DVDs for download up there.  If you need a B&P i would also be willing to hook you up.  So don\'t be shy! Welcome guy!

I\'ll deffinitly check out the nectars show, and maybe take up that offer on the B&P.
This site seems cool, maybe i\'ll become a regualar:disco:

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2006, 09:01:38 pm »
I have always heard about the mystique surrounding the Iron Horse especially the legendary breakfast shows that have gone down there.....  Before last night I was at the two previous Iron Horse shows and though the shows were a great time, I failed to see what the big deal was.....  Well last night it was easy to see what the deal is with this band at this venue from the moment I walked towards the door....

We arrived at 10 and there was a line about 25-30 people deep awaiting enterance....  All I could hear as we stood freezing and waiting from the gathering line was, "have you ever seen these guys before?", "this is my first show", and stuff like "yeah i have seen them once or twice and they rocked"....  There was something in the air last night....

Once in the Horse and saw that the balcony was open because it needed to be in order to handle the size crowd, i knew that the night would not be quite like the past 2 shows I have been to....

I hit the bathroom downstairs right as the band was coming on and when I recognized the opening chords to Eppy 3 I strapped myself in for the ride, and thank god i did, because what was to follow was a perfect blend of setlist writing and first set throw down.....

The Ep. 3 sandwich was a tasty treat with the band precisely disecting their most anticipated tune with a surgeons touch, transplanting solid versions of Great Big and Drunk Monk into the mix creating a monster of a jam.

This is also not the first time that I have felt the jam in the jam>No Regret has more to it than just a "jam".

Not to be outdone by the Awakening, Gladys Pimp popped up and she came hard and funky as the best Gladys that I have heard.  The haunted organ intro into The Chase was sheer beauty exercised by the hands of Jordan.

Setbreak found me running outside for a quick breath and a quick breath.  A perfect set up for the amazing Honey Butter set 2 opener.  I have loved this song from the first time I have heard the barest of bones of the tune.  This song will grow and grow and probably consume entire sets of music before its all said and done....

I dont hate the VT Song, as it consistantly can get any crowd of any size up and dancing like nobody is watching.  And it kept the Iron Horse crowd thirsting for more.  

Phaddy Boom came and went as a solid version, but this song is no fun unless you can spark up a jib or a bowl and pollute the band with a haze of heady pot smoke....after losing 2 pieces to this tune over the years, i have learned that there are places for such puffing and places not.....the Iron Horse was not that place.....

When Rufus started I left the front of the stage to step out for a sweaty cigarette hoping to catch pneumonia.  I didnt get sick, but by the time my smoke was done I was full out spinning in the doorway chomping on my cheek to get back to the stage and finish the tune dancing my ass off with the crowd and the band....Animal was on fire out of Rufus and into a mindbending drum solo....

Hot For Teacher was the best version of the new cover I have heard and think its a great cover for this band to keep in their repetoir.  It was also an amazing 2nd set closer amidst second set that could barely hold a candle to what happened earlier in the night......

The minute I saw the band depart the stage after the VH classic, I knew they had to return and give us one more chance to loose our minds along with them.  When I heard the bass solo begin, I wasnt sure what was going to happen, but it wasn\'t to long after the band joined in with Save, that I knew we were getting an Attraction encore.  I am pretty sure I have never seen one of those and was drooling and jumping out of control.....

Out of breath but not energy, I was hoping for the band to walk off after leaving everything on the stage with the Attraction.....However it appeared that they were going to do one more....Could it be Puppetry?  nah...way to long.... I was hoping for a Son of Simpleton, Wake Up In A Coma, Funky Bill\'s, or even an Uncle Freddy....what we ended up getting was a great way to ruin an amazing and maybe unprecidented Attraction encore.  The Bugs, a seeming fan favorite, sucked the air out of the encore balloon for me....  But even the deflating last song of the night couldnt ruin the amazing energy that was shared by all at the Iron Horse last night....

The band was tight and on all night.  There were many moments throughout the night where I was tickled, blown away, and even downright owned by each member of the band (including Dobs and Ellis)......

Jordan was throwing in tasty morsels of spacey funk all night...
Tim proved yet again that he is a god amongst mortal guitarists
Adrian was on all night, per usual, and had one particular fill or "riff" that caught me and caused me to almost mess myself (I will hopefully pinpoint it upon relistening to the show)
Ronnie was my MVP last night, throwing it down hard and funky.  You could hear him and his influence all night.  I especially loved when he went down down to rip the bass riffs in Hot For Teacher
Dobson owned my brain with the sound engineering...from the mix to his selective use of echo effects and whathaveyou had me spinning in circles all night....
and last but not least...Johnny Upstate painted the ceiling and bandmembers with a tapestry of color and coordination.....

Thanks to everyone at the Iron Horse for providing the necessary energy for the band to chew up and spit out all over us for a few hours.....

It was great to meet some new people, and hope to meet those that I missed........

Till the next time....
"See you on the other side"
Gencs
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2006, 10:32:04 pm »
http://www.thebreakfast.info/modules.php?s=&mop=modload&file=index&name=Reviews">hey guys, don\'t let your long reviews get lost and forgotton in this thread...