Author Topic: UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s  (Read 1340 times)

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:29:17 am »
02/15/06 Lupos Heartbreak Hotel, Providence, RI
Set I: Walletsworth, Prowler, Passing, White Man\'s Moccassins, Visions of Parin> Jimmy Stewart> Phil\'s Farm, The Bottom Half
Set II: Padgett\'s Profile> Higgins> Padgett\'s Profile, Resolution> Jimmy Stewart1, Nopener2, Tribute to the Spinal Shaft, The Crooked One, Wife Soup
Encore: Front Porch> Hysteria

1 With lyrics
2 Lounge style

I\'m just gonna cut and paste my thoughts from PT moe. that I just threw together:

Was a good and bad show last night. Boring as hell first set, almost started to get good near the end, but that ended abruptly. The second set was really good, and I was impressed. Until they busted out Nopener and ruined the flow of a perfectly good set, luckily once they finished that bullshit, the set picked back up where they left off before that horrible excuse for a song. The encore started off good, and then they felt the need to finish it off w/ Def Leppard\'s Hysteria, which was quite possibly the gayest thing I\'ve seen in a live jamband concert. As soon as they kicked into it, me and Dan Fallon looked at eachother w/ a look of defeat.

People bash on the biscuits\' fanbase, but I\'d take the sketchiest fanbase in the world over what UM brings out of the woodwork. Besides the people I knew there from moe., the Breakfast or the Providence music scene in general, everyone else was either a. a fratboy toolbox who thought they were a hot shit, or b. a teenaged girl who spent more time getting ready(clothes and makeup) for the show than time spent enjoying the show. At one point, it seemed everyone in the venue was either having some assinine conversation about useless garbage while the band was playing, or engaged in a makeout session. It was like a high school dance.

As far as the band is concerned, they still have far from won me over. It just seems to me, they\'d much rather play to a giant mirror in front of the stage than an actual live audience. I\'m sure on a personal basis, they\'re all great and cool guys and whatnot, but their whole \'hot shit\' stage routine bores the shit outta me. They spend to much time winking at eachother and checking themselves out then taking in the energy from a crowd and recycling it back out to them. They finally started getting better w/ it during the second set though, so it wasn\'t a complete lost cause. I dunno if they feel that they can rest on their laurels being the supposed \'next big thing\' in the jamband scene, but they\'re lucky to be playing in front of a bunch of teenieboppers who couldn\'t tell ya whether they\'re getting fed bullshit or not.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 09:42:21 am »
A fucking men Igzi.... You read my mind.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Rujah

• team digest
    • http://
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:59:14 am »
tonight they are in burlington. heading over there after my night class, a few of my buddies have tix, but I\'m going without one, and I just find out the show was sold old so I dont know if I am going to go now eventhough I have never seen these guys before...
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

davepeck

• Administrator
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 10:04:25 am »
Quote from: Rujah
heading over there after my night class...

I\'m going without (a ticket)...

I dont know if I am going to go now...

:sadban:

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 10:09:06 am »
tonight they are in burlington. heading over there after my night class, a few of my buddies have tix, but I\'m going without one, and I just find out the show was sold old so I dont know if I am going to go now eventhough I have never seen these guys before...

hahaha....i just find out

i don\'t know why that sounds so funny to me
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 10:20:32 am »
At least they played Higgins......... Why they didnt play it at Toad\'s is beyond me.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Mamalakabubadaya

UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 10:24:43 am »
Quote from: weekapaug19

hahaha....i just find out

i don\'t know why that sounds so funny to me

it reminds me of the coach in the waterboy. "i just find out sold old". alright, time to stop being a bitch.

btw, greg i love your review. funny stuff.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 10:47:42 am »
i guess this belongs in here,

went to the show last night......... i thought it sucked. worse $20 I\'ve ever spent. there jams went no where, they can\'t seem to pick a genre. i like the reggae sounds then they started this fake/weak attempt at some guitar driven rock jam..... garbage. If i were them i wouldn\'t let Tim play either, he would freak\'n own them all and then pick up the sticks.

passed out 300-400 fliers though. and only saw a couple on the ground. A big thanks to Igzi, Dawn and those kids from NH that were at the Toad\'s show for helping me pass out fliers.

Hey Bezerker, i met some friends of yours that hungout with you late night after Toads.

Highlight of the evening..... seeing Igzi walk up to the UM merch table and drop fliers down and the merch girl was like what are those... you can\'t put those there...... and he picks them up and hands her one and walks away......
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 11:23:35 am »
the b\'fam represent!
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 11:37:37 am »
Do they play Jimmy Stewart at every show?  What up wit dat?
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 11:52:30 am »
Quote from: Marcial

ya, that\'s what they call it when they just make up a jam, i think
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 12:27:24 pm »
Quote from: weekapaug19
Quote from: Marcial

ya, that\'s what they call it when they just make up a jam, i think

It is one of those things they have done to seperate themselves from other jambands.
It is something every jamband worth their salt does. Improvise music on the spot.
They just choose to call them improv compositions and since most of their fanbase is young and i would think not musically educated they can call them "JS" and people eat it up.
It is usually a jam that they have been thinking of making a song or just chord changes Jake or Brendan have been fooling with.
Ask abt it on an Umphrey\'s board and you will recieve all sorts of information that attempt to prove "JS" is not just another name for JAM>
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 12:37:43 pm »
they have JO\'s too which are Jazz Oddyseys or some shit.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 12:40:12 pm »
oh yeah I forgot abt those. Laughable really.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
UM 2/15/06 Lupo\'s
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 12:41:51 pm »
Jazz Odysseys are equivalent to Space City Affairs...

And Leith, Jimmy Stewarts ARE live compostions. I would like to see your Sex in the 70\'s attempt to compose on the spot.

The formula for Jimmy Stewart has changed so much over the last 3 years. Giving a standard definition, doesn\'t necessarily do it justice.

The jamming is not always linear. Some bands touch on the concept of non-linearity. Some do it with much greater depth and style than others. You\'ve heard bands jam where someone starts up a riff, and everyone starts playing said riff. Simple stuff. Someone starts playing the outlying chords, somebody starts soloing. Voila! You\'re a jamband.

What UM does on a consistent basis, and with fluidity (which is where people get confused), is create a longer riff, that spans an entire measure, or longer. By doing this, you give the rest of the band more room to work with and create. And create they do. When no longer confined with a quick repeating riff to play off of, the other 5 members are able to create their own textures that build off the original riff. And, with each completion of the section, they go back to the top to repeat it (hence the non-linearity). Allowing for futher coloration and characterizing of that little piece of music. Then take it where it may. Sometimes modulating it through different keys or changing the tempo/dynamics of it. After they\'re done toying with said section, they just move along to the next section by holding out a chord (you\'ll see jake do this a lot. Like he\'s wiping off the table).

For the most part a Stewart is designed to have at least 2 separate sections. This is where it really starts to get fun. And where UM really distances themselves from the pack. The Bounceback jam. After leaving the first section (as discussed above) they\'ll move along to wherever they go next (usually playing off the last outlying chord of the previous section). Another sections is started, built upon, and repeated a few times. Now here\'s where the pure beauty of it all comes in. When they get to the end of this 2nd section, instead of going back to the top, you\'ll see Jake lean backwards. And instead of repeating section B again, they\'re now back at A. Playing it even tigheter and with more flair than they did their previous attempt 3 minutes before. Then another few runs through that, Jake leans back, and then they\'re back in section B, playing it, again, better than they had before. So what they do, is build 2 unique sections of music together, seperately.

Instant composition. That\'s the difference. They don\'t just improvise, they create unique pieces of music night in and night out.

And some of you wonder why UM fans can get frustrated when people say they don\'t know how to jam. Their methods are refined to a point well beyond anything most of us has heard.

Jazz Odyssey:
the line between Stewart and JO has slowly erased (by our footsteps, by our footsteps...) or at the very least become very cloudy (you know like when you erase pencil with those shitty smooth erasers? like that). JO is more straightforward, no bounceback involved. Usually less signals involved.

Pony basslines: You\'ve heard them. You know them. He\'s always trying to work new ones into jams as possible songwriting fodder. So if you hear him repeat something from a previous show, don\'t feel like you\'re getting slighted because he\'s not up there improvising as much as the others. They aren\'t chosen at random. And plus some of them are just such tight grooves that they\'re worth playing multiple times, just to see how different versions unfold.

written out stewarts: from time to time, the band will write out sets of chord changes, as well, a general idea of how they\'ll want to play said section (drum n\' bass, ambient, uptempo...) Or on the even rarer occasion Jake might bring something to the table, maybe a section that he\'s been working on. Written out stewarts, you\'ll hear the band make changes during which there\'s no way any band could just decide to change sections like that. It\'s not *pure* improv. It\'s kind of like an outline for improv. Mostly for creativity and melody making, not soloing. To possibly take that section and turn it into a song in the future.

Bayliss vox -
all fans of improv love the feeling of living in the moment of the music. From time to time, BB will take a jam even farther and start spouting out lyrics (sometimes improv, others from his apparent \'lyric notebook\', like passages he\'s working on putting into songs). When the band gets locked in, sometimes, he\'s just feeling it, and you really do truly get a full taste of instant music writing. 9/4/03 DBK that gave rise to Ocean Billy is your definitive source on this.

Stewarts > songs:
#5, Wife Soup, In the Kitchen, Ocean Billy, Bridgeless, Robot World.
The band goes back to listen to their jams/stewarts to see if there\'s any good material (of which there is plenty, but they\'re picky) to use as a section for a new song.

Signals: there are lots
step forward, back. (modulate up/down a minor third, I think)
neck of guitar up, down (modulate up/down a whole step).
wipe off (clean the slate)
lean back (my personal favorite, go to previous section).
hand over the head (return to the top of a jam, head of the song)
hand signals to denote chord/key to change to.
rub nipple (milk it.  keep playing this section)
fist at eye level (hold this groove)  
this list is by no means all inclusive...