Author Topic: Two TONS of pot found in tunnel  (Read 2164 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Two TONS of pot found in tunnel
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:26:24 pm »
From forbes.com and many other news sites:

Authorities said they discovered more than two tons of marijuana in a cross-border tunnel that began near the Tijuana airport and ended inside a warehouse on the U.S. side.

The 2,400-foot long passageway is longer than most of the 21 cross-border tunnels that have been discovered since authorities began keeping track after the Sept. 11 attacks, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said.

"It was like being in a cavern or a cave," said Michael Unzueta, customs special agent in charge in San Diego.

John Fernandes, special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration\'s San Diego office, said he suspected the tunnel was the work of Tijuana\'s Arellano-Felix drug smuggling syndicate or another well-known drug cartel. He said tougher enforcement aboveground had forced smugglers to dig below.

The tunnel\'s discovery prompted the U.S. Attorney\'s office in San Diego to open a criminal investigation, said Lauren Mack, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The tunnel exited into a large, two-story white cinderblock warehouse in an industrial San Diego neighborhood near the border.

A green sign over the door said V&F Distributors LLC. County records listed the building\'s owner as Helen Park of Long Beach. The phone rang unanswered Thursday at her home.

Mexican authorities found the entrance about 100 yards south of the border on Tuesday, and officers on the U.S. side found the exit Wednesday. Mexican officials allowed reporters and photographers, including an Associated Press photographer, into the tunnel late Wednesday.

The tunnel was about five feet wide and high enough for an adult to stand inside, had a cement floor, and lights mounted on one of the hard soil walls. It was equipped with a pulley system on the Mexican side.

Four tunnels have been discovered this month in the Tijuana-San Diego area, including more primitive tunnel that was also found Wednesday when a U.S. Border Patrol vehicle struck a sinkhole.

The most I had ever heard of was when former Dalls Cowboys guard Nate Newton got caught with 300 pounds.  Two tons is insane.  Buy up now, it\'s gonna get pretty dry after this one!

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 07:43:41 am »
they find tunnels like this all the time. Like they said, they found 4 in the last week in the same county. I\'m willing to bet that immigrants are using them just as much as drug smugglers are also.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 08:40:19 am »
smoke it up, smokey!
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 12:14:15 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman
The most I had ever heard of was when former Dalls Cowboys guard Nate Newton got caught with 300 pounds.  Two tons is insane.  Buy up now, it\'s gonna get pretty dry after this one!

ESPN is doing a special on Nate Sunday

plainandsimple

• running against the wind
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 12:36:53 pm »
Two tons. Thats alot of walking back and forth in a small tunnel.(on the american side without the pully system) Thats alot of pot.........
Simpleman. Thats what I am...
"Bubba said those are magic shooes. Bubba said they\'d take me anywhere. Of course Bubba use to beat me with a rubber hose and call me a retard."

Dig

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »
it was probably all mexican dirt **** anyway
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice