Author Topic: First attempt at stealth taping - FAILURE!! (2nd attempt slightly better)  (Read 2694 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
:(

red hot chili peppers in amherst last night.. my first crack at stealthing with my new at853 stealth mics.. everything was going right, and i knew it was too good to be true...

crotched everything just right and got by security A-OK.. right to the bathroom to wire up, and all is well.. go out to queens of the stone age and try to be sneaky about getting some levels set, and still everything is great.. we\'ve got security RIGHT in front of us, so i was pretty nervous..

RHCP comes out, mics go in place, and everything was fine throughout the entire show.......... until the end, when i find out that the dat never started recording.. looks like i forgot how to operate a d8... son of a... UGH!! not cool... thought for sure it was working, but couldn\'t look down at all after the show started because the mics were in my hat..

so my second attempt will be tonight - chili peppers @ the tweeter in mansfield... maybe we\'ll get it right this time.. :(

ChrisF

• http://
First attempt at stealth taping - FAILURE!! (2nd attempt slightly better)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 09:00:37 am »
That really sucks. The same thing happened to me with my D7 at the PB show at the webster on 5/31.  

Before the Bowery Ballroom show i forgot my nomad in Jon Aruny\'s car, but for some weird reason i had my D7 with me too, which i almost never brought to shows. The Bowery Ballroom recording i did with the D7 seemed to be much so much cleaner than my recordings usually come out, so i decided to tape the webster show with both the D7 and the nomad to compare the two. The D7 appeared to be recording, but it wasnt and i ended up with a blank tape in the end. Even after a tape change for the encore i came out with another blank tape. I am not really sure what happened, but after taping another show and comparing the results on the nomad and the D7 i decided to sell the D7. I ended up getting $100 more than i paid for it.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 12:32:37 pm »
SO-RRY!  

You know, maybe MORALITY kicked in and stopped the tape.  Maybe it was the HAND OF GOD because GOD DOESN\'T WANT YOU TO TAPE ILLEGALLY.  Seriously, talk about a compromise of your high moral standards.  How can you look in the mirror, or go to sleep at night?  What would your mother think of all this?  Dave Pecoraro, amateur criminal.  What a shame.

Wolfman

Show last night
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 12:34:34 pm »
BTW (haha) great show last night.  Get it, By the Way?  All the kiddies were bored with Sir Psycho Sexy!  "Hey, that\'s not on By the Way!"  Everyone did seem to know Give it Away though.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 12:54:18 pm »
oh, and like i wouldn\'t have to hook you up with a copy of the show afterwards if it did come out!! :)

BTW wolf, that parking lot didn\'t have an exit on the other side... it was all fenced off.. looked like construction work or something... we made it home in good time though...

Wolfman

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 02:47:51 pm »
Oops, it does have a rear exit, you just sort of had to go up instead of straight at the fence.  I use it every day to get to work.  Sorry for the confusion.  Why am i posting this anyways?  Well, to make it relevent for everyone, if you ever need to park at the Mullins Center at UMass, call me, I know where to park.

tiedyetoga

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 03:11:56 pm »
Wolfman, the Traffic Director.

binx

bah
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 06:39:33 pm »
baah..

""All the kiddies were bored with Sir Psycho Sexy!"" - wolfman

thats a sad sad saaaaaaaaaaaaaaad thing, heh.. i consider that to be one of RHCP\'s greatest songs

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 07:22:14 am »
well, last night i figured out that it wasn\'t my fault - when it happened AGAIN!!

had really good seats for this last night - dead center, sec 6, row T... no security in sight, so i actually kept the DAT out for a while so i could see what was going on...

lights go down, and i get going - light, record+pause, pause... levels are there, tape is loading.... DAT SHUTS OFF! tried getting it going 3-4 more times; same thing... i\'m getting annoyed, but there\'s no way i\'m not getting this one...

decided to open it up and check the tape, but i had a lot of electrical tape on the dat to hold things in place and cover up most of the backlight, so i had to get all that off first... i eject the tape, and there\'s a little bit sticking out, and wrinkled... i tried winding it with my finger, but it wasn\'t small enough... unplugged the mini input connecter and used that to wind the tape and it worked... got it tight, threw the tape back in, and it started recording, and got through the rest of the night ok.. missed the opener - jam > by the way, but got the rest. :thumbsup:

as soon as the show was over, i took the tape right out of the dat, and it\'s not going back in there, not even to see how it came out.. waiting till i get a hold of a dat to do the transfer before i\'m able to hear this one again...

much better show than the previous night as well... i\'ll post a setlist when i listen back, but some differences in the shows included:

Amherst:
- ??? (John Solo)
- Tiny Dancer (John Solo)
- Universally Speaking
- Blood Sugar Sex Magik
- Californication
- Purple Stain
- I Could Have Lied
- E: Sir Psycho Sexy
- E: They\'re Red Hot

Mansfield:
- Maybe (John Solo)
- Suck My Kiss
- Latest Disgrace (Fugazi; intro to Parallel Universe)
- If You Have To Ask
- Havana Affair (Ramones)
- Soul To Squeeze
- Venice Queen
- E: Fire

same show otherwise, but that\'s a pretty good difference in songs from one night to the next - better than they were in the spring...