Author Topic: Goodbye That 70\'s Show, Malcolm in the Middle... and Arrested Development?  (Read 2115 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Goodbye That 70\'s Show, Malcolm in the Middle... and Arrested Development?

PASADENA (CNS) - The long-running Fox Broadcasting comedies That \'70s Show and Malcolm in the Middle will broadcast their final episodes in May, the network announced today.

Additionally, it is "highly unlikely" any new episodes of the Emmy-winning comedy Arrested Development will air on Fox following its Feb. 10 season finale, and if the animated comedy King of the Hill returns with new episodes, it will be in January 2007 rather than the customary fall premiere, Fox Entertainment President Peter Liguori said during the network\'s presentation at the winter television press tour.

That \'70s Show, a comedic look at the decade which turned unknowns Ashton Kutcher and Topher Grace into movie stars, will broadcast its 200th and final episode May 18, ending its eight-season run.

Fox is having "conversations" with representatives of Kutcher and Grace about their returning for the finale, Liguori said.

Malcolm in the Middle will broadcast its 151st and final episode May 14, ending a seven-season run. The comedy starring Frankie Muniz as the middle child in a dysfunctional family has received six Emmys, a Grammy and a prestigious Peabody Award.

"From its innovative production values to its exceptional writers and cast, this series has helped shape the modern sitcom," Liguori said. "We\'ll miss the hilariously loud and manic -- yet somehow relatable and admirable -- family."

Despite receiving the Emmy as television\'s best comedy for the 2003-2004 season and tremendous critical acclaim, Arrested Development has struggled in the ratings throughout its three-season run. "It is regrettable that we could not find the audience that show deserves," Liguori said.

"There is a chance" new episodes of King of the Hill will be made with a decision expected soon, Liguori said. Because of the long preparation time needed for an animated series, if King of the Hill is renewed, the new episodes would premiere in January 2007, Liguori said. Fox also announced that the comedies "Free Ride" and "The Loop" will premiere in March.

"Free Ride," a partially improvised comedy starring Josh Dean as a recent UC Santa Barbara graduate who moves back in with his parents in a small Missouri town, will premiere March 1, following a 90-minute American Idol episode, then move into its regular 9:30 p.m. Sunday time slot March 12. "The Loop," which stars Bret Harrison as the youngest executive of a Chicago-based airline, will premiere March 15 after the American Idol results show, then move into its regular 8:30 p.m. Thursday time slot the following day.

CNS-01-17-2006 11:23

not really surprised about Malcom or That 70\'s Show... both have pretty much run their course.. kinda surprised King Of The Hill has lasted this long..

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:29:39 am »
this fucking sucks. i LOVE malcolm in the middle, i\'ve been watching it for years. anyone who hasn\'t checked it out should know that it is totally underrated. i never really got into arrested development, although i\'ve seen it a few times and i think it\'s funny. i am not one bit suprised that 70\'s show is going down the drain-kind-i\'m actually a little suprised it made it this far.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:34:34 am »
the problem with malcolm in the middle is that, like all shows with kids, the kids get older, and it kinda takes away from the formula that made the show good to begin with..

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 11:37:21 am »
Quote from: davepeck
the problem with malcolm in the middle is that, like all shows with kids, the kids get older, and it kinda takes away from the formula that made the show good to begin with..

That was my thought. Haven\'t those kids grown up yet? I used to love the show but stopped watching 2 seasons ago.
70\'s show has been mediocre for the past 2 seasons yet I still watch from time to time.
AD better be picked up by SOMEONE and King of the Hill still has new episodes?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

crimsonknuckles

• makes geniuses disappear!
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 03:01:10 pm »
\'bout fuckin\' time. three of the worst shows out there. should have been axed seasons ago. long live hockey!
" Let\'s go Islanders!!!!!!! "
" A festive mood is all around, Another world is what we found "
" Brewin\' funk inside my soul kitchen so pullup a chair here\'s a bit have a listen "

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 03:41:17 pm »
Quote from: crimsonknuckles
\'bout fuckin\' time. three of the worst shows out there. should have been axed seasons ago.

:weeklong time-out issued by Dave:
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 03:43:05 pm »
Quote from: crimsonknuckles
\'bout fuckin\' time. three of the worst shows out there. should have been axed seasons ago. long live hockey!

^
^
^
^
^
Canada that way
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 04:10:26 pm »
If this Free Ride goes into the 9:30pm Sunday slot, what does that mean for American Dad?
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 06:02:23 pm »
meh, meh, and never watched a single episode.

70\'s and malcolm had some classic episodes in the first few seasons but have gone downhill lately.

what\'s with fox dropping everything? they got rid of king of the hill last year too.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke