Author Topic: Break me out of LA, this place blows  (Read 1773 times)

Soulicious467

• jonnyonthesquat
Break me out of LA, this place blows
« on: January 08, 2006, 06:23:02 am »
Hey yall......I\'m Joe, longtime breakfast fan and new poster on the site..recently moved to LA area with some buddies from Mass/RI area to pursue music career, however, this place blows cockgoblins.  thinking about moving back home already, hopefully in time to catch some more breakfast seeing as it\'s been nearly a year since my last encounter......I had a blast singing whipping post with Tim at Richters last May, anyways this is just incessant rambling nonsense at 3 in the morn\' (6ET) out here in hollywood whatever blahhhhhhhhsnootchie bootcies  thanx for puttin up with this goodnight
“I want to throw down your kid and stomp on his testicles, and then you will know what it is like to experience waking up everyday as me. And only then will you feel my pain.”   - Mike Tyson

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 11:03:21 am »
If beer could talk, that\'s what it would sound like ;)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 11:46:36 am »
That\'s what you get for moving to L.A.
If you play heady music L.A. IS not the place for you.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 02:20:11 pm »
Yeah, LA definitely has its own charm. I could not find it after three months so I left (oddly enough) to go to Massachusetts.

Like Leith said, you are playing the wrong music if you want to make it in LA.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

SoHo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 10:45:28 pm »
The problem at hand is that you do not know anyone. Get to know some people and watch a whole new world open up.

Soulicious467

• jonnyonthesquat
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 01:41:23 am »
I\'ve already met plenty of people here, and I\'m not one to feed into stereotypes, but damned if they aren\'t mostly true about LA folks......most of the people I\'ve met so far are mindless, self-absorbed coke-freaks with a few decent people mixed in......And if I played in a jamband I would have never moved here from New England, but that\'s not exactly the kind of music we\'re playing.........anyways I was wasted when I posted this originally so I guess yall could just disregard it
“I want to throw down your kid and stomp on his testicles, and then you will know what it is like to experience waking up everyday as me. And only then will you feel my pain.”   - Mike Tyson

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 02:09:27 am »
Aside from the widespread narcissism, is there anything you like about the place?  I think I\'m actually headed to Long Beach/Hungtington Beach to hang with friends/relatives this coming weekend.  With 20+ million people, there is lots of cool stuff to see and do, though the never-ending sprawl of the decentralized monster kind of turns me off.  

The modest element present in most New Englanders can be hard to find down there.  I hear there are people who would rather be homeless with a new Mercedes than live within their means.  

What style of music is played by your band?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Soulicious467

• jonnyonthesquat
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 06:16:43 am »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu
Aside from the widespread narcissism, is there anything you like about the place?  I think I\'m actually headed to Long Beach/Hungtington Beach to hang with friends/relatives this coming weekend.  With 20+ million people, there is lots of cool stuff to see and do, though the never-ending sprawl of the decentralized monster kind of turns me off.  

The modest element present in most New Englanders can be hard to find down there.  I hear there are people who would rather be homeless with a new Mercedes than live within their means.  

What style of music is played by your band?

I\'m learning about LA on the go, I\'d never left the East coast before moving here.........however, I\'ve had to move 5 times in the last year and lived in an array of different environments back home, so I didn\'t see this as being a huge deal.  I think part of the problem is that I pretty much had to move where my friends/bandmates were going to locate being that they had previously lived in LA.....I landed in the Hollywood/West Hollywood area, living in a pretty decent neighborhood. Unfortunately, I\'ve discovered that this area of the city is where all the shitheads are centrally located.  Being as it is that LA is just so fucking enormous, there\'s a huge cultural difference between Long Beach, Hollywood, Pasadena, etc. and literally every different community in and surrounding LA. Before I rattle off every stupid thing that bothers me about living here, I guess I\'m just a New Englander who dosen\'t like the "vibe" or attitude of almost all the people I\'ve met here.  People like to call the West Coast attitude "laid-back", but it\'s closer to apathetic, bored, and uninformed.  It\'s just not the place for me, and I couldn\'t have known that without giving it a shot. And again, I\'m just characterizing people in and around the Hollywood area, because I don\'t have enough experience with anywhere else to really know. If I had loads of money (or any at all), I would just move somewhere out here like Portland or San Fran. where there\'s actually still a decent music scene and decent people, but even the musicians in LA kind of blow. I figured in a city this big it would be easy to find solid musicians, but such is not the case. Apparently "Punk" and nu-metal are much bigger than I thought.  With all that said, there is an awful lot of shit to do all over the city, and I have no doubts the people of Long Beach are more down to earth than they are here in Hollywood. Then again, people are more down to earth everywhere else on the planet than Hollywood.  I could type about all this nonsense for days, but enough with the negativity trip already.........so my band plays a style which I\'d say is just straight forward rock with a heavy blues and funk influence, and a touch of reggae.  Think James Brown and The Meters meets Jimi Hendrix and Buddy Guy with a touch of Sublime.

SoHo

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 01:16:42 pm »
There is a great music scence in LA, you just have to get invited and know the right people. Any given night there is a CAA event going on where Stevie Wonder or other musicans are playing.

The bottom line is: This town is what you make of it, not what you think of it.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »
go see ozomatli!

" People like to call the West Coast attitude "laid-back", but it\'s closer to apathetic, bored, and uninformed"

hahahahhaha. deffinitly true in many \'california hippies\', but not in all cases.

Soulicious467

• jonnyonthesquat
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 06:19:19 pm »
Quote from: SoHo
There is a great music scence in LA, you just have to get invited and know the right people. Any given night there is a CAA event going on where Stevie Wonder or other musicans are playing.

The bottom line is: This town is what you make of it, not what you think of it.

Like I previously stated, I\'m not rich. Therefore I can\'t afford nor would i want to, 200 dollar tickets to see Stevie Wonder or whatever overpriced musicians happen to be playing in LA this week.  Furthermore, the term "music scene" in which it was to be meant has NOTHING to do with which mainlining acts are playing. Truth is, the current mainliners (you know, U2, Britney Spears, Usher,  all the truly great ones) play in Boston, Providence, New York, etc. as much as they do LA or anywhere else.  The term is applied to availiabilty and desire of MUSICIANS starting or progressing with their own careers, what GENRES of music are most popular and most desired by the public, What type of music is selling or being given an opportunity to thrive in the given community, accessability of GOOD music to the community devoid of who sucks Val Kilmer\'s cock or drives a 7 series BMW to get in, so forth and so on. And you\'re assertion that you just have to get invited or know the right people is EXACTLY the type of attitude that makes the music scene weak right now in LA.....That\'s the antithesis of any good music scene.  Again, I\'ve checked out enough of the gigs so far to see that you need a serious affinity for Emo, pseudo punk, nu-metal and whatever else kind of bullshit noise they call music these days if you want to enjoy a show here.  Sorry to be so negative and all, but if you care to point out all the wonderful things this city has to offer a working musician, fire away.

Quote from: Klout
go see ozomatli!

" People like to call the West Coast attitude "laid-back", but it\'s closer to apathetic, bored, and uninformed"

hahahahhaha. deffinitly true in many \'california hippies\', but not in all cases.

Ozomatli?? What kind of music do they play?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 06:20:41 pm by Soulicious467 »

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 06:30:03 pm »
shake your ass party music

SoHo

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 07:25:13 pm »
As a working musican, I can not help you.

As for the you have to "pay" to get in statment, you are wrong. The music scene/events/concerts is by invite only, and it\'s like that for a good reason.

You have lived in this town long enough to know that you do not pay to get into events.

Soulicious467

• jonnyonthesquat
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 10:27:33 pm »
I just feel like a city with so many resources should be alot cooler than it is, that\'s all. I understand the whole "It\'s who you know" thing, but alot of other cities make the music scene work without the whole nose-in-the-air, secret password, special knock, secret handshake, pretentious nonsense. Besides, isn\'t the a big part of the idea of playing gigs to get as many people to your venues as possible and to expand your fanbase? It seems counterproductive for bands to work their asses off but have "private" guest lists and fixed numbers in the audience.  Maybe the breakfast spoiled me, but I would rather catch a gig at the Guilford Green any day of the week than act like I\'m friends with some douchebag so he can get me into a TurdBurgers concert ( I made that band up, btw). Anyways, I was lucky enough to score some Tenacious D tix for next week.

Look man, don\'t get offended.......I\'m sure this city is wonderful if you\'ve been out here for a while and you know plenty of people (or maybe not?) but it just ain\'t my kind of scene, and that\'s pretty much what my problem with LA is, it just dosen\'t fit my personality or tastes.

SoHo

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 10:38:56 pm »
If it is not your scene, leave. You are one less person to clog up the roads.