Author Topic: The Miners are ALIVE!! Oh no, wait, they\'re dead. Sorry, we goofed.  (Read 2722 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
The Miners are ALIVE!! Oh no, wait, they\'re dead. Sorry, we goofed.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 07:55:09 pm »
don\'t get me wrong, I bounce around and take in all the news I can. I watch cnn and fox in the morning at work, check the international new agencies on break when I can, hell, I even listen to rush in the afternoons and follow it with collin and bruce when I can. Not because I agree with any one of them, but if you get as many points of view as you can you can draw your own conclusions. I don\'t think any of them have it correct, you have to **** out the answers yourself. I tend to go international in order to get a view back in on ourselves though.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 07:55:24 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu

Is the BBC known as a generally reputable source (unlike the NY Times)?

My cup of tea is the Wall Street Journal, no b.s. over there (probably wouldn\'t appeal to most .inforumers though).

BBC is just as crooked as the rest of them.  They all have their agendas.  Just sounds more reputable presented in the Queens proper English.

WSJ is a bit boring.  Kinda like watchin\' paint dry.

Quote from: FrankZappa
don\'t get me wrong, I bounce around and take in all the news I can. I watch cnn and fox in the morning at work, check the international new agencies on break when I can, hell, I even listen to rush in the afternoons and follow it with collin and bruce when I can. Not because I agree with any one of them, but if you get as many points of view as you can you can draw your own conclusions. I don\'t think any of them have it correct, you have to **** out the answers yourself. I tend to go international in order to get a view back in on ourselves though.

I\'ve been thinking about tuning into O\'Reily just for the laughs.   What a psycho.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 07:56:54 pm by SlimPickens »

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 08:04:53 pm »
well, while it\'s all well and good to hate the media or whatever, they\'re not the ones to blame here..

Ben Hatfield, president of the International Coal Group, told the families gathered at the Sago Baptist Church that "there had been a lack of communication, that what we were told was wrong and that only one survived," said John Groves, whose brother Jerry Groves was one of the trapped miners.

At that point, chaos broke out in the church and a fight started.

Hatfield said the erroneous information spread rapidly when people overheard cell phone calls between rescuers and the rescue command center. In reality, rescuers had confirmed finding 12 miners and were checking their vital signs, he said.

"The initial report from the rescue team to the command center indicated multiple survivors," Hatfield said during a news conference. "That information spread like wildfire, because it had come from the command center. It quickly got out of control."

did the newspapers/media jump the gun? sure. everyone\'s rushing to get the story out first. and if they think they have a credible source (see above), they\'re gonna go with it. i mean, when the governor is spreading it around also you have to take the news as credible enough info to make the call.

the rescuers, command center, and company officials decided to wait 3 hours to report they were wrong. maybe they should have spent 3 hours verifying they were indeed dead. not the media. and i\'m sorry, but it doesn\'t take everyone in the world to rescue #13 - that\'s no excuse.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 07:06:14 am »
I agree that the company is also to blame, but it just drove me nuts to see cnn blaming them for not correcting the media for going on a lead without validating the source. all of them are to blame, but cnn just pissed me off when they did that. If you make a mistake, take the blame your responsible for and move on. If they had done that and then went on to talk about how the information was not corrected for 3 hours it would not have been as bad (though it was still pretty bad).
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke