Author Topic: Setlist: 2005-12-31 - Webster Theatre; Hartford, CT  (Read 17572 times)

shadygroove

• Local Bohemean
Setlist: 2005-12-31 - Webster Theatre; Hartford, CT
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2006, 12:26:42 am »
I need an explanation from the setlist master(s): Why is Merge listed as \'Slow Merge\' on the setlists? Why wouldn\'t Merge* be more appropriate?

*slow version

The song name is \'Merge\', not \'Slow Merge\'.

Wouldn\'t it be like spelling out \'Inverted See The Light\' directly in the setlist as opposed to it\'s current handling as \'See The Light*\'?

*inverted

Slow Merge was named (I am pretty sure) by Walsh....I am not sure when it started, but he loves to scream it at the band when he feels they should go into it.....How it stuck....I guess we\'ll never know...

it is merge...but slow.....and i guess its nickname just became its name....at least that is my understanding of it....

I dig having the two seperate names... I think it splits them apart providing more spunk, but it\'s obvious that they\'re the same tune at the same time.

Nope, don\'t mind it one bit.
I hope it sticks.
Plant yourself in the minds of others so you may grow in them as you do yourself.

dredmonkey

• yougotiigotyou
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2006, 01:47:57 am »
show was sick, attendance definetly reminded me of the early shows.  Light show was on point.... thank you for the fairy, its been awhile.  Would have loved a puppetry finish.  Random question but how long has it been since son of simpleton, i am in dire need.
love and peace

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2006, 01:57:01 am »
Quote from: dredmonkey
Random question but how long has it been since son of simpleton, i am in dire need.
love and peace

not that random of a question...but a good one.....I would venture a guess that the 8/12/05 acoustic cafe show ending Son Of Simpleton......and the 5/27/05 Beardslee Castle show could possibly the last time played electric.....its been a while though Ekkatin has been known to lurk around the dark hallways and alleys of Timmy Tour......
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2006, 02:05:37 am »
Son Of Simpleton is a great 90-second zinger that requires very little committed space in a setlist.  I love that tune.  Why do they choose not to play it?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2006, 02:15:55 am »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu
Son Of Simpleton is a great 90-second zinger that requires very little committed space in a setlist.  I love that tune.  Why do they choose not to play it?

I am not sure why the chose to play or not play any particular tune.....i like to believe that they choose not to play son of simpleton because they are saving it and building anticipaton for the sickest simpleton set ever....maybe even on 1/21 at Daniel St.....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2006, 08:14:41 am »
Quote from: Stephengencs
it is merge...but slow.....and i guess its nickname just became its name....at least that is my understanding of it....

"How can ace be one and eleven? Huh? What kind of God would allow that?"

this discussion is nitpicky and I don\'t know why I\'m even submitting my two cents, but it would seem more logical to follow Zurflu\'s logic and footnote the pace.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 08:16:08 am by SlimPickens »

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2006, 09:05:23 am »
hmm.. al, you make a good point. what can i say about this? here\'s some points, though i don\'t know if they\'ll prove anything...

- See The Light has a definitive published version, Merge/Slow Merge does not.

- Slow Merge debuted just 4 months after Merge, and appeared as \'Slow Merge\' on official B\'fast setlists.

- The name \'Slow Merge\' also makes sense, not only because of the tempo of the song, but it is also a traffic term.

i dunno.. Slow Merge to me also sounds much better than Merge, Slow version. same way the notation on the 12/30 setlist sounds much better than \'Old/New Inverted Wake Up In A Coma\'..

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2006, 10:17:20 am »
Despite what sounds good and what\'s happened so far, it has to be listed as Merge.  If the only thing they did is slow it down 50%, it\'s not a different song.  If a song has the same lyrics, same changes, and same sections, it\'s the same song.  Inverted See The Light gets asterisked, and that\'s a much more drastic and fundamental change to the song than just slowing it down.  If STL doesn\'t get a new name when it\'s inverted, there\'s no way you can give Merge another name just for being slow.  Go back and listen to some 1999/2000 shows when they played everything at half the speed they do now.  What are you gonna do, rename those songs Slow Buquebus, Slow Superfly Phaddy Fat, and Slow No Glove No Love?  Can\'t do it.  The song is still Merge.  It can certainly be asterisked as "slow version" just like other songs get asterisked for inversions and incompletes, but there\'s no way it\'s a different song.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2006, 11:09:20 am »
Quote from: Wolfman in middle east thread
Am I the first person to point out that there\'s a slow Merge missing from the setlist?

Wolfman

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2006, 11:26:36 am »
Nice try wiseass.  Notice how the s in "slow" is lowercase.  In that sentence, slow is clearly a modifier describing how the song "Merge" was played, and is NOT part of the title of the song.  What do you want me to do, asterisk Merge in a sentence?  And who, praytell, was the one who posted the setlist with the missing song that I had to clean up after?

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2006, 11:33:28 am »
<<< more of a fan of merge,or fast merge,if you will....
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2006, 11:37:37 am »
Quote from: Wolfman
Inverted See The Light gets asterisked, and that\'s a much more drastic and fundamental change to the song than just slowing it down.  

150% disagree. STL and iSTL are the same songs, with the same feel, played in a different order. just slowing it down?? Slow Merge can be labeled as an entirely different genre as Merge! Merge is clearly a fast, hard-hitting, rock song, while Slow Merge is FUNK.

Go back and listen to some 1999/2000 shows when they played everything at half the speed they do now.  What are you gonna do, rename those songs Slow Buquebus, Slow Superfly Phaddy Fat, and Slow No Glove No Love?  Can\'t do it.

moot. you\'re talking about evolution of songs here, where the topic is clearly different \'versions\'.

The song is still Merge.  It can certainly be asterisked as "slow version" just like other songs get asterisked for inversions and incompletes, but there\'s no way it\'s a different song.

no one said it\'s a different song. it\'s one song with two different versions. and again, the song has never been published. by your logic, ALL merges should have asterisks, and be labeled either \'slow version\' or \'fast version\'.

And who, praytell, was the one who posted the setlist with the missing song that I had to clean up after?

:confused: not sure what this has to do with the price of hookers in harlem, but uh.... i wasn\'t at the show, and igzy pointed it out first...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 11:39:50 am by davepeck »

Wolfman

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2006, 12:05:06 pm »
Quote from: davepeck

Slow Merge can be labeled as an entirely different genre as Merge! Merge is clearly a fast, hard-hitting, rock song, while Slow Merge is FUNK.

The slow version of merge might be funkier than the original, but to call it capital F-U-N-K is to completely discredit any funkiness in any other Breakfast original.  Fairy used to be a ballad, now it\'s a practically a metal tune, so how about we start calling that Metal Fairy as soon as Tim hits the overdrive pedal.  

Quote from: Davepeck

you\'re talking about evolution of songs here, where the topic is clearly different \'versions\'.

Evolution of songs happens through BOTH consious and unconscious choices by the band.  If you\'re going to start retitling different versions of songs, it doesn\'t matter how it happened.    

no one said it\'s a different song. it\'s one song with two different versions. and again, the song has never been published. by your logic, ALL merges should have asterisks, and be labeled either \'slow version\' or \'fast version\'.

You said it was a different song when you gave it a new title.  I never said all versions should be marked.  The slow version can be asterisked as "slow" and the original is just listed as Merge.  Just like STL gets asterisked for inversions but is just written as See The Light when it\'s played as the original.

:confused: not sure what this has to do with the price of hookers in harlem, but uh.... i wasn\'t at the show, and igzy pointed it out first...

The first post of the FFT thread, the one with the setlist in it, is posted under your handle.  You are the setlist guru.  You need to take responsibility for the accuracy of the setlist if the FFT thread is started under your handle.  If the FFT thread was started under someone else\'s handle, then they would be the one responsible for the accuracy of the setlist.  Whoever is on top of the FFT thread is claiming responsibility for the accuracy of the setlist.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:07:15 pm by Wolfman »

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2006, 12:10:56 pm »
The first post of the FFT thread, the one with the setlist in it, is posted under your handle.  You are the setlist guru.  You need to take responsibility for the accuracy of the setlist if the FFT thread is started under your handle.  If the FFT thread was started under someone else\'s handle, then they would be the one responsible for the accuracy of the setlist.  Whoever is on top of the FFT thread is claiming responsibility for the accuracy of the setlist.

that\'s cool. i\'ll start getting quadrouple verification of setlists before i post them, interviewing members of both the band and their fanbase before putting the final list together. once it\'s together, i\'ll hold off on posting it until i hear a copy of the show, and can verify the setlist for myself. after i do that, i\'ll have 6 of my friends also listen to the show and write down setlists, and i\'ll post the setlist on the one-year anniversary of the show.

Wolfman

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2006, 12:21:53 pm »
There\'s nothing wrong with posting a setlist with an error or two.  I\'m sure the readers would rather read a 95-100% accurate setlist the same night than have to wait a few days to see anything.  If you had nothing to do with the song being missing from this setlist then great, it just looked you did cause your handle is on the setlist post.  I had to ask because you used my pointing out of the missing song to try to accuse me of using the title "Slow Merge" when in fact I did not.