Author Topic: valentines day @ toads - umphreaks mcgee  (Read 6696 times)

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
valentines day @ toads - umphreaks mcgee
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2006, 02:06:49 pm »
I love Umphrey\'s, but the past year they\'ve changed. They\'ve tasted success and realized they dont have to work that hard to make a lot of money.  The quality of shows have been horrific, the new originals are great, but it\'s not enough.  The problem with Umphrey\'s is that they dont try hard enough so they come off as too fucking lax... On flipside the Breakfast tries TOO hard.  If only there was a happy medium out there... sssssssigghhhh
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2006, 02:15:23 pm »
TOO hard?  how so?  I mean shouldn\'t they be working their balls off to bring us the best shit they possibly can. I for one am glad they work so hard, it creates that "best show ever" comments at practically every other show
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2006, 02:19:44 pm »
They play too fast too much. They need to slow it down and improvise bottom up.  I know they can do this, Ive seen them do it back in the day.  I was telling Tim after the Daniel St drums+guitar gig that if they jammed like that all the time, they\'d be on top in seconds flat.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2006, 02:23:31 pm »
fair enough, but to me that\'s kinda what makes them what they are, but I def understand what your saying and your not the first person I\'ve heard say that.  My first PB show I couldn\'t move the whole time, I just stood there in amazement it was almost too much for me.  but I knew , and wanted to see them grow.  and grow they have
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2006, 02:33:22 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica
They play too fast too much. They need to slow it down and improvise bottom up.  I know they can do this, Ive seen them do it back in the day.  I was telling Tim after the Daniel St drums+guitar gig that if they jammed like that all the time, they\'d be on top in seconds flat.

This is the same reason many of my friends did not like Phish back in \'92.

Once Phish explored other ways to play other than breakneck speed they became so much more accessible.

I think the same thing will eventually happen w/ The Breakfast.

I can only hope because I can only hear so many times" Yeah they are ripping musicians but all they do is jam" I heard it so many times w/ Phish and now The Bfast.

Once they get past the east coast mentality that slower songs or deep spacey jams = cig/piss break maybe they will also become more accessible.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2006, 02:34:56 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica

yeah, that was my gripe, but there\'s their shtick.  ya know, proggy, whatever you wanna call it.  they don\'t work up a jam the way other bands do.  some of their fans say their not a jamband or some hooey, either way, yeah, ehh.... thats what it is.  not much to it.

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2006, 02:36:17 pm »
Quote from: leith

Once they get past the east coast mentality that slower songs or deep spacey jams = cig/piss break maybe they will also become more accessible.

aren\'t they though?  :wink:

I will admit thought that question mark and tunes of said nature I love but that\'s when I go to smoke a butt, or what not

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »
Just surprised Joe thought it was run of the mill and that he was disappointed.
He loves UM so much.

Definitely surprised to hear, though it demonstrates some independent thinking.  

I\'m also surprised to hear that you won\'t pay to see them anymore, as you seem to give many jambands the benefit of the doubt.  

I\'m not sure if I\'d shell out $20 to see them for the first time when there are so many good bands playing for free through $10.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2006, 03:55:26 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu
Just surprised Joe thought it was run of the mill and that he was disappointed.
He loves UM so much.

Definitely surprised to hear, though it demonstrates some independent thinking.  

I\'m also surprised to hear that you won\'t pay to see them anymore, as you seem to give many jambands the benefit of the doubt.  

I\'m not sure if I\'d shell out $20 to see them for the first time when there are so many good bands playing for free through $10.

Well you see I did give UM the benefit of the doubt and even gave them more than my requisite see a band twice. Each time it got worse for me. I do admit enjoying a little umph on disc now and again but yeah unless they are part of a festival pkg and no other bands are playing while they are I may put down the bong and check \'em out.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2006, 03:55:28 pm »
Al I\'ve seen UM plenty, this was show 13. I\'ll see them again, but not on the East Coast.  

It\'s not that I hate the fast playing, I love it, that\'s what pulled me into TB in the first place.  I would just like to see them start a jam with a theme and build up that theme.  Tim did it at Drums +Guitar and I felt like I was seeing Phish at the top of their game (only it was Tim, so was it the top of his game?).  All I can say is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2006, 04:08:31 pm »
i say cut the set list in half, that would make them slow down a bit. as for UM i\'ll give a live listen today, we\'ll see if it was just the CT crowd
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2006, 04:16:15 pm »
godspeed derick.... from the chatter I overheard it seemed that a lot of people at Toad\'s were also hitting up Lupo\'s ;/

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2006, 04:18:32 pm »
I\'m just pissed i don\'t have any money for fliers
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2006, 04:34:54 pm »
Print them at work DerickW.

Umphrey\'s has a hardcore following, so many of the peeps at Toad\'s last night will be in Lupo\'s tonight.

Kinda agree with TreyChica and the bands jam.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2006, 05:26:50 pm »
I\'ve been seeing them irregularly since \'02 and they probably rank just outside of my top 5 for \'jambands.\'  Right now my faves are:  moe., the Breakfast(tied for first), the Biscuits, Brothers Past, and the Russo/Benevento Duo.  A lot of \'generic\' jambands don\'t do it for me, Raq, Groovatron, and plenty others.  They just lack an original sound alltogether, UM has that sound, just doesn\'t do it for me like the rest.