Author Topic: valentines day @ toads - umphreaks mcgee  (Read 6682 times)

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
valentines day @ toads - umphreaks mcgee
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2006, 12:51:23 pm »
duh!  I def dig UM but they\'ll never be TB :biggrin:
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2006, 12:52:11 pm »
The way they played last night Tim could\'ve done basic scale exercises and still have blown them out of the water.  Considering the core UM fanbase is from the Midwest, I would say last night was an inaccurate representation to say the least. Sorry you had that experience Bezerker.  

Last night was another prime example of why I need to move to the Left Coast....   I just cant take this East Coast drunken, reckless, agressive East Coast white suburban male mentality anymore.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2006, 12:54:43 pm »
really..... that\'s some bullshit. was anybody with you. I\'ll see what it\'s like tonight.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2006, 01:09:30 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica

Last night was another prime example of why I need to move to the Left Coast....   I just cant take this East Coast drunken, reckless, agressive East Coast white suburban male mentality anymore.

see, thats why i can\'t leave the norteast.  i don\'t want no laid back west coast vibes, i need some assholes around to shit on.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2006, 01:19:13 pm »
Umphreys is definitely a great show. Was last night there best? I hardly doubt so, if anything it was average. When I arrived I was taken back by the tour bus and big rig to haul around there equipment. Inside they had there own board. My point here is Umphreys has a face like no other. They have a great big show and IMO they have to live up to that hype, although I don\'t believe they have earned it completely. I feel that are not out there to prove themselves but rather we are Umphrey\'s McGee. That is a great attitude to have in this scene it is what makes people come out and thirst.

They have great control over there jams and they really do make some good grooves and beats. I still can not stand Brandon\'s singing. He IMHO kills all the energy and juice flowing in a song when he opens his mouth. The people definitely fall for all of this as there wasn\'t one head not bobbing. Too many cliques and not enough of open people. People in there own spun out worlds.

I felt like Umphreys was completely unoriginal, I felt that I have heard this all before. That doesn\'t take away what they are capable of. Umphreys to much of my surprise is something I just don\'t like.

I have a lot more to say about my Umphreys experience last night but since I am at work I will spare you all.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2006, 01:19:20 pm »
Several years ago when I saw UM on a few occasions including CBC and Woodbury, they blew me away. I thought they were one of the few bands in existence that could give The Breakfast a run for the money. That all changed when I saw UM last fall at Webster. The show was very mundane, no energy, just guys going through the motions, and in some ways, just showing off-look at these chops, wow.  I also paid $15 for a live 3 CD show that had been recorded a few nights earlier in Burlington. Despite guest appearances by Seth Yac and Jen Hartswick, that show was again very very boring. Their recent studio album, Anchor Drops is also very weak, IMO.

I think UM thinks a great deal of themselves, and doesn\'t feel the need to play with passion anymore. The Breakfast on the other hand continues to raise the bar again and again. So while several years ago I considered them as equals, the Breakfast now leaves UM in the dust.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2006, 01:25:42 pm »
Quote from: Mark
Several years ago when I saw UM on a few occasions including CBC and Woodbury, they blew me away. I thought they were one of the few bands in existence that could give The Breakfast a run for the money. That all changed when I saw UM last fall at Webster. The show was very mundane, no energy, just guys going through the motions, and in some ways, just showing off-look at these chops, wow.  I also paid $15 for a live 3 CD show that had been recorded a few nights earlier in Burlington. Despite guest appearances by Seth Yac and Jen Hartswick, that show was again very very boring. Their recent studio album, Anchor Drops is also very weak, IMO.

I think UM thinks a great deal of themselves, and doesn\'t feel the need to play with passion anymore. The Breakfast on the other hand continues to raise the bar again and again. So while several years ago I considered them as equals, the Breakfast now leaves UM in the dust.

Mark Peters, ladies and gentlemen!!!!  :applause:

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2006, 01:32:48 pm »
i was also at that show at CBC...my first taste of UM, and that show was awesome, but then this summer, they were terrible, i walked around for half of their set.
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2006, 01:35:52 pm »
How about that kid who got arrested, that shit was fucked up!  the cop threw him like 20 feet into a trunk then put the cuffs on!

also glad to hear moe. is on a roll, will be hitting up snoe.down, and i havent seen em since 2/10/05

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2006, 01:38:19 pm »
That kid was spun out of his mind and almost ran face first into me. Thank god the 300 lb Ol Dirty Bastard security guard got him before that happened because my feet were ready to start kicking....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2006, 01:42:13 pm »
no i think it was a diffeent kid, a few were taken away

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2006, 01:45:14 pm »
too many spun out folks.

I did see someone at setbreak try to stop the emt\'s and police from doing there job to a friend who was taken to the hospital, they took his friend downtown to the NHPD.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2006, 01:50:01 pm »
^ thats the kid i meant

i\'m not saying he didn\'t deserve to be hassled, but the cop throwing him was bogus, it was after that he got pissed

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2006, 01:57:23 pm »
Those kids deserved what they got... Fucking irresonsible ass holes.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2006, 01:59:33 pm »
Quote from: weekapaug19
i was also at that show at CBC...my first taste of UM, and that show was awesome, but then this summer, they were terrible, i walked around for half of their set.

I was at that and the woodbury one (TB was there too), I do still like them but will agree that it hasn\'t changed much
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon