Author Topic: A look @ the year of 2 growing bands.  (Read 10142 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
A look @ the year of 2 growing bands.
« on: November 27, 2005, 03:27:25 pm »
TLG 2005:

Killed Bonnaroo.
Opened for DMB.
Joined onstage by Bob Weir and Trey Anastasio @ different shows.
Break-out year in New York City with shows at The Knitting Factory; 2-night stand album release party at Coda

Wrapping up the year opening for Govt. Mule and Trey.

Monterey Peninsula new booking agent
Name recognition way up
Crowds growing all over the country
More tapers begin to record TLG

TLG LIVE starts w/ the release of 2 stellar shows from this summer @ GAMH
3rd studio album Taught to be Proud released.

Several blogs and websites adopt TLG as a feature band including LiveMusicBlog, The Hiatus, Nugs.net, Archive.org, and others...

Articles in Honest Tune magazine (band name listed on front cover) & Relix (multiple mentions)

Interviews released on radio shows and podcasts (Eclectic Mix, etc.)

And a growing family:
Several Forum members reach 1000 post thresh-hold of official obsession

Bfast 2005:
 Festival favorites @ 10KL and moe.down
Joined onstage by Sean Miller and Jeremy Wall @ different shows.

Crescendo Artists new booking agent

3rd studio album Real Radio released

Cemented their reputation as a "quirky jamband" w/ A Star Wars themed Halloween show and 2 shows featuring a complete cover of classic rock albums in the 2nd set of each show.

And a growing family:
Fansite reaches over a 1000 members.

Just a few things that make me go HMMMMMMMM?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
A look @ the year of 2 growing bands. [Merged]
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 04:14:15 pm »
I know the point here is to overshadow the Breakfast\'s recent accomplishments by inserting a seemingly endless list of TLG fortune, though the two bands are not homogenous products operating under the same circumstances.  There are infinite variables that explain why the two have diverged throughout 2005.  Since I know very little about TLG, I hope to provide more to the discussion once I join you at the S.F. show next month.  

It was just recently mentioned that Crescendo is working to pair Breakfast with New Monsoon in the coming months.  I\'m hoping we see more alliances and opening slots for larger bands in the future.  I think they will get better slots at some of the festivals next year (how can they not after maxing out the space provided at both Moe.down and 10,000 Lakes?).  

What is our role?  How about a newspaper campaign?  Let\'s write to every arts/entertainment contributor in our local/regional papers and ask them to pay attention to this magical band from CT.  Pretty simple plan to execute.  We could find one particularly adept writer (from .info) and ask him/her to create a template or general letter that we can all use to contact our local press.  I\'m sure a few people will end up writing about the band if we also include a music sample.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 04:18:22 pm by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

leith

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:35:41 pm »
Actually the point of the thread is just a ventilation of frustration that has been building over the past year as I saw my favorite band basically go nowhere in what was to be The Year of The Breakfast what with a Jammy in the bag and an awesome new Studio release.
They did tour a little into the south and midwest and really really concentrated on working the NE market with from what I can tell just a minor bump in show attendence.
 I listed TLG as they are of course my 2nd favorite band and have been around a similar amount of time w/ members of like age to my favorite band.
The bands draw from the same TYPE of audience and started the year drawing about the same numbers.
This list just shows how different a year can be for 2 bands and hopefully NEXT year will see a Bfast list twice the size of TLG\'s.

OH and if The Bfast can get that together to tour w/ New Monsoon. They will be stoked. New Monsoon is drawing good numbers and they rip. It would be a killer show. Imagine their Tabla player sitting in w/ Adrian. ooohhhhhhh!!

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 05:34:37 pm »
Leith, Do you post as much about TB on the TLG forum as you TLG on TB forum?
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 05:45:24 pm »
once again,another bullshit thread by a supposed "fan" that dosent in any way/shape/form help the band out,whatsoever..
keep your bullshit on the tlg board,guy..
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 05:45:43 pm »
I really hope some dates with New Monsoon work out. I would love to spend an evening with the two bands.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 06:10:08 pm »
Quote from: freddiewaht
once again,another bullshit thread by a supposed "fan" that dosent in any way/shape/form help the band out,whatsoever..

unlike this kind of thread. ;)
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 06:14:07 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa

unlike this kind of thread. ;)

i wouldnt say that thread hurts at all.
its funny,if you ask me.
some folks prefer to say shit that dosent help.
comedy=helps
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

leith

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 08:13:29 pm »
Quote from: sallyalli
Leith, Do you post as much about TB on the TLG forum as you TLG on TB forum?

I only really post here Alli. The crazy mix of characters that make up The Bfast Fam are by far more fun to chat w/ than any other board I have ventured upon. It helps that I like alot of the same stuff many on this board do also. As far as posting on the TLG board I used to pimp them alot but everyone there already knows and is turned onto The Bfast for the most part. Very accepting folks over there by the way.

Hey Wah! Blow Me. I am spending upwards of $300 to fly out again to see this band I am a "supposed fan "of. I think I can rant all the fuck I want on this board.
Where else am I going to voice my concern that this wonderful band seems to be heading the way of becoming another Max Creek. Local favorite that ventures out every once in awhile keeping only the local hardcore fanbase happy w/ shows.
You tell me. Maybe the list can act as a kick in the butt to say HEY LOOK WHAT YOU COULD BE DOING ALSO!!!!!!!!! Come On how long is this BS of the band is fine, in a great place now, the coming months will show this path is best....  gonna last?
You tell me.

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 08:53:52 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu

It was just recently mentioned that Crescendo is working to pair Breakfast with New Monsoon in the coming months.

Really? Where did this news come from? That would be a great for the Bfast and the fans.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 09:03:58 pm »
All I know is that this fanbase continues to work harder and better than any other for their band.  Our fan website, fan newsletter, tapers, and showgoers are as good as anyone\'s.  Of course there\'s always more that could be done and I like everyone\'s ideas.  Fan effort is one of the best things this band has going for it.

leith

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 09:13:30 pm »
No doubt about it. The Breakfast fanbase is almost as fanatical as umphreaks. The addition of The Breakfast Digest shows me that the fanaticism is just placed in better places. ;)

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 09:26:59 pm »
who fuckin cares guy?  so what, raq pulls in bigger shows and more hype than the breakfast as well, doesn\'t mean shit really in the long run.  let tlg have whatever they fuckin want, the breakfast has four of the best down to earth musicians in the scene and some of the coolest, most comradic fans out there, and thats all that really matters.  music ain\'t some sort of fucking competition, its about being there and enjoying the moment, and thanks to this band and these fans, we\'ve had plenty of \'moments\' all year long, so keep up the good work everybody.  and vent your frustrations elsewhere, that shit is whack.

leith

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 09:47:05 pm »
I\'ll vent where I want however I want. You don\'t like it fine. Noted.

Even mentioning RAQ pulls in more folk just drives my point home even more.

The fact (pulling 2 threads together) that they turned down what could have been a good exposure gig for them for solo projects does not show that they want to gain new BREAKFAST fans.
I for one would like to see them achieve more if only for the selfish reason that they may play closer to me. I think they deserve more but they need to take opportunities when they come around. Turn down things and stagnation can creep in. I would hate to see that happen.
So I will continue to vent that way you won\'t hear it in person when I come out. Unless you really want to.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 09:52:09 pm »
Quote from: galenas
Quote from: alexanderzurflu

It was just recently mentioned that Crescendo is working to pair Breakfast with New Monsoon in the coming months.

Really? Where did this news come from? That would be a great for the Bfast and the fans.

Mentioned by Steffmo in another thread, most likely found in the "What is wrong with this picture" thread.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex