Author Topic: Hit a deer this morning..  (Read 3044 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Hit a deer this morning..
« on: November 07, 2005, 06:39:58 am »
sort of.. coulda been much much worse, but.. ugh.

fucking merritt. bout 5:35am.. have the jetta today instead of the expedition (not sure if that\'s a good thing or a bad thing) doing about 75-80mph in the left lane, with someone decently close behind me..

all of a sudden, there\'s a deer just chillin\' in the middle of the left lane. i freaked.. didn\'t have time to check for anyone in the right lane, so i slammed on my brakes and started to swerve left towards the grass. the deer starts running that way, so i have to swerve back right, still not knowing if there\'s anyone in the right lane. almost missed the deer completely, but i just clipped it, and heard a small *thud*. heart\'s going a mile a minute, but the car seems to be driving ok, so i kept going..

got to work and got out to check and see if there was any damage to the car.. didn\'t see anything at all at first, which was surprising, but then i noticed the lower grill on the driver\'s side was gone..

kinda dark and hard to see in the pic, but.. anyways, like i said, i know it definitely could have been a LOT worse, but, still a shitty way to start your monday... :mad:

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 06:45:49 am »
in soviet russia, the deer hit you.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 07:31:56 am »
at least you didnt get hurt....fucking suicidal deers..
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 07:32:44 am »
I always wondered, if deer freeze because they see your headlights, what would happen if you turned off your lights for a second. Your lucky thats all that happened dave. Hope your car bill isn\'t that bad.

Have you told Li yet?
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 07:38:58 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa
I always wondered, if deer freeze because they see your headlights, what would happen if you turned off your lights for a second.

i was thinking about headlights when i got to work.. the thing is with the jetta, you they\'re automatic. you can\'t turn them off. even if you flip the switch, it\'ll just turn off the interior lights cause it\'s dark out..

Quote from: FrankZappa
Have you told Li yet?

nope. sleeping.. since it was nothing major, i didn\'t wanna wake her..

Donbean

• http://www.reggaetraders.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:40:40 am »
nice way to hang in there.... theres a spot in orange on the merritt that allways is super slippery in the winter... Coming south right before the rest stop mobile.... Ive come close to ending things there...

crimsonknuckles

• makes geniuses disappear!
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 07:55:13 am »
i hit a deer in a car before. terrible. i broke all his legs,still alive. it let me pet his head while we waited for the police. poor dear. stupid deer. you would think evolution would make them alittle more aware of vehicles.
" Let\'s go Islanders!!!!!!! "
" A festive mood is all around, Another world is what we found "
" Brewin\' funk inside my soul kitchen so pullup a chair here\'s a bit have a listen "

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 09:03:42 am »
I got hit by a deer once. I was driving to a friend\'s house through the woods, and it leapt out of the woods and SMACK! Right into my mom\'s car. It was ok, but I had chunks of fur all over the side of the vehicle.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 09:30:48 am »
I had a deer run into the side of my car one time, just driveing along saw him coming swerved a tiny bit, and heard a *slam* right into the pasenger car.  stopped loooked around and saw him trot offcar fine deer fine, just freakin weird!
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 09:35:38 am »
Glad to hear you are alright. I worked in the mountains of New Mexico for a couple of summers and the deer were common on the roads at night. Very scary coming around a dark corner even at slow speeds and seeing 2 or 3 sets of eyes shining at you. Things like this make me happy to not have to drive anymore.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 10:18:33 am »
I was in a car that got hit by a charging deer.  

Seems to be quite common since so many of us have experienced it.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 10:24:29 am »
DEER SUCK. there are too many deer. WE NEED MORE COYOTES/WOLVES/FOXES/BEARS/TIGERS..someone do something about the deer..although i have never hit a deer i have swerved many a time. the only thing i have ever run over was a poor lil chipmunk. i felt absolutely awful..i like those little creatures. once a suicidal bird FLEW INTO MY WINDSHIELD and left a bloody, gruesome mess.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 11:33:21 am »
Hit 2 comming back from my 1st Breakfast show doing about 65 down 684N. I just caught the glow of their eyes standing in the middle of the road and slammed on the brakes. We were lucky. The demolished the front end of my Geo Metro but I was still able to drive it home thank god.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 12:09:37 pm »
that sucks... I ran over a family of about 6 raccoons on the Merit once on my way back from NYC.  They were in the left lane at one of the sections with a concrete barrier fence.... there was no where for them to run to, and I couldn\'t swerve... the carnage was ugly, but luckily, my car came away unscaved.
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

shadygroove

• Local Bohemean
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 02:21:08 pm »
I hit a deer once. It jumped out infront of my car so I got out and beat it to death with a baseball bat.

Glad to hear the damage stopped at the deer and your grille Dave.
Plant yourself in the minds of others so you may grow in them as you do yourself.