Author Topic: What book(s) are u reading now?  (Read 9084 times)

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
What book(s) are u reading now?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 05:02:35 pm »
Reading for class: Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais
Just finishing up:The Real Frank Zappa Book by Frank Zappa
Up next: Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safron Foer
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 05:50:32 pm »
"Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

I keep picking it up and have been slowly going through it. Really funny just I dont read as much as I should
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 05:52:12 pm »
^^ always wanted to read that especially after the movie came out I\'ve heard it\'sd very good
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

helluvahat

• I Like Dirt
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 06:13:51 pm »
Just finishing up "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut.  great book, though its very different.
Play some Weezer!!!

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 06:15:22 pm »
your first Vonnegut book?  You should def read Cat\'s Cradle, it\'s a good place to start.  I love "breakfast", but it\'d be an easier read if you already knew his style, I love all those hand drawn pictures though it makes the book
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

BigMamaBlueberry

• om nom nom nom
  • Administrator
    • http://www.blueberrydreams.com
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 06:16:41 pm »
i\'ve had a bit of reading ADD since the last Harry Potter book (i love them so much!).  about a 1/3 of the way through Robbin\'s "Villa In Cognito", barely starting on a Baldacci novel ("Saving Faith") and periodically pick up an sorta unauthorized bio of Bonnie Raitt called "Nick of Time".

uh, does it count that i religiously read the comic that comes with my gaming subscription to City of Heroes  :dance2:  :tongue: ?!?

btw, we should do a book swap at a breakfast show.  i got tons of books to give away  :banana:

helluvahat

• I Like Dirt
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2005, 06:18:44 pm »
Quote from: Me!
your first Vonnegut book?  You should def read Cat\'s Cradle, it\'s a good place to start.  I love "breakfast", but it\'d be an easier read if you already knew his style, I love all those hand drawn pictures though it makes the book

yep its my first time reading his stuff.  Thanks for the tip.  My bro said I should read that one too.  And yea, the pictures are great!
Play some Weezer!!!

Blackieshamps

• Blankee Dick
    • http://
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2005, 06:36:29 pm »
besides textbook after textbook for school,  i finally finished John Fahey\'s autobiography "How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life", and I\'ve been reading this super weird William S. Burroughs book called "Cities of the Red NIght" its soooo weird.
"Clown College? pfft you cant eat that!"

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2005, 06:42:41 pm »
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix> Half Blood Prince, then to Borders to buy some Chuck P.

Choke is no contest my favorite, followed by Survivor. Lullaby was okay, but was still meh. Need to get Diary and hop back on the train after the Potter series is finished for the umpteenth time.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 06:47:28 pm »
Histories of Herodotus, which is excellent. First history book ever written, bassis of the workd \'history\' which untill that time (early 500s bc), meant "inquiry". Also complete works of Edgar Allen Poe when I need something light.

Chris - don\'t give anything away on the dark tower... I was nice to you when you were only on wizards and glass about this time last year.

Vonnegut - one of the few I\'ve read by him. "HI-HO! Mr. President."

Hitchikers guide - read all 5 books if you like the style. They all work really good together.

Havn\'t read the davinci but they say that the previous book was much better. Also, I know the plot of Davinci and have read several base texts that they are pulling from, so I dont think I\'m missing anything. They said during tour de france coverage that there is a movie being made that is already in production on location in france starting: Tom Hanks (wtf?)

Good to see there are some other readers. I swear, if it wasnt for the internet requiring it, most people wouldn\'t read at all anymore.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 06:56:58 pm »
Currently reading Imperial Grunts as well as a new translation of Gilgamesh  that I have not read before. Like it much better than the first one I read. Don\'t worry Chris (P) I am not going to start talking about I, Claudius .

Ok, you are all going to think I am trying to be contrary, which is not the case. I am not a huge fan of Tom Robbins. I think a lot of his writing is very forced, he is poor at developing theme, and his not-quite stream of consciousness style takes away from what he is trying to portray. He is a creative man however and his books are an entertaining read. I liked Jitterbug Perfume  a lot because I am a big lover of old epics and it is a rather epic-ish novel.
Masturbation in the MFA

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 06:59:19 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn
Currently reading Imperial Grunts as well as a new translation of Gilgamesh  that I have not read before. Like it much better than the first one I read. Don\'t worry Chris (P) I am not going to start talking about I, Claudius .

Who is your gilgamesh by? Love the story but a good english translation is hard to come by. Add to that all the broken tablets and its can be a tricky read.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2005, 07:13:05 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn

Ok, you are all going to think I am trying to be contrary, which is not the case. I am not a huge fan of Tom Robbins. I think a lot of his writing is very forced, he is poor at developing theme, and his not-quite stream of consciousness style takes away from what he is trying to portray. He is a creative man however and his books are an entertaining read. I liked Jitterbug Perfume  a lot because I am a big lover of old epics and it is a rather epic-ish novel.

This doesn\'t surprise me.  I don\'t know one woman who likes Robbins stuff.  It\'s kind of ironic since many of his lead characters are woman.

Reading Burroughs makes me feel like an idiot.  I just don\'t get it.  I\'ve tried many times to read Naked Lunch and everytime I get 100pg in and throw the book across the room in disgust and confusion.

Now Bukowski, his stuff is a hoot.

If I had to recommend a Vonnegut book = God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

I love the book swap idea.  I hate buying books, and I can\'t deal with library timeframes.

Maybe someone should start a thread where people can post the books they\'re willing to part with so people can coordinate trades.

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2005, 07:18:39 pm »
^^  Good idea

>>book swap <<<<<

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2005, 07:25:03 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa

Havn\'t read the davinci but they say that the previous book was much better. Also, I know the plot of Davinci and have read several base texts that they are pulling from, so I dont think I\'m missing anything. They said during tour de france coverage that there is a movie being made that is already in production on location in france starting: Tom Hanks (wtf?)

Da Vinci Code movie
Filming began on June 29, 2005
US Release May 19, 2006
Ron Howard is directing
Tom Hanks has the lead
Jean Reno (of Nakita fame)
Ian McKellen (XMen)

I don\'t know if I\'d go so far as to say the previous book was "much better", but it was good.  Its ending, though I guess scientifically could work, just seemed really far fetched.

Digital Fortress is also a very good Dan Brown book.