Author Topic: The State Of The Breakfast Address....(A Stephengenc\'s Perspective)  (Read 7995 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
The State Of The Breakfast Address....(A Stephengenc\'s Perspective)
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2005, 08:10:03 am »
Quote from: jking
i mean, i like to space-dance as much as anyone, but i\'d much rather thrash about in spasmadic throes of epileptic exuberance while straning to hear every nuance!!!

Holy shit, what a sentence!  Please submit something to Breakfast Digest.  Thanks.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2005, 08:57:49 am »
Quote from: Wolfman
Quote from: jking
i mean, i like to space-dance as much as anyone, but i\'d much rather thrash about in spasmadic throes of epileptic exuberance while straning to hear every nuance!!!

Holy shit, what a sentence!  Please submit something to Breakfast Digest.  Thanks.

I had to re-read that sentance about 4 times....that was a lot to take in for one sentence
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
    • http://horizonmusicgroup.com
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2005, 09:13:06 am »
I\'ll spend a few more minutes on this to add some clarity for you.

I\'ve been working with bands for 30 years....and The Breakfast are a tie for best group of musicians I\'ve ever worked with.  The other was a great hip hop Jam band from Boston, Fat Bag.  to give you an idea...memebers of Fat Bag included Sam Kineneger (of soullive and his own band), Adam Deitch (who went on to join Average White Band, John Scofield, and others)  and Adam Smiens of Lettuce).  They were Boston based and had family in New York....first point being that The Breakfast is from a small town by comparision.  Being the biggest or best here is a big nothing.  Fat Bag won three Boston Music awards, and with help from family in NYC quickly developed a following.  the had very inexperienced management that signed them to a bad Universal deal.....they did one record that got no support, and they broke up, because they did not have an adequate base outside of their main territories to support the band.

Point is.....The Breakfast are building a solid base in enough markets that at some point the dots will connect.  Mind you...it isn\'t easy.  Even the more simple Breakfast tunes are more complex than commerial radio wants, and as much as the voices have improved, the bands sound does not easily fit into commercial radio, which is the fastest way to expose the band to more fans.  So, we have to work around radio and deal with touring as a main mode of fan building.  This takes longer, but as you see the fans are loyal.

As to Moe., they had the good fortune to be signed to Epic Records about five years ago, by my friend Mike Caplan.  Caplan was at the time a muso at Epic....he is a fan of jam andprog., and he thought he could take Moe. mainstream.  Epic probably dumped 500,000. into Moe....sold maybe 40k records.  They were of course dropped, which is often a disaster for a band.

Not in Moe.\'s case, however, because the promotional boost had gotten them far enough ahead of the pack that they couls now make their own record and sell 20K.....which means essentially that you can spend 120,000 to make and market the CD.  If they spent 20k on the record, they had a 100,000 buget to promote...which would hopefully come back in even more sales.

Of course, the failure of Moe. at a major teally spelled death of jam bands at majors, though some try.  Caplan signed Particle for one record and I think dropped it....but Particle is a much easier band for folks to digest.

At any rate, do not think that there isn\'t a constant dialog as to how to better your favorite bands situation.  Alex Defelice and I discuss issues several times a day and there are long term plans to cover all parts of the country and hopefully Europe.  We constantly look for a bigger label that we could partner with, but we need more juice to make a meaningful deal.  And that is what we are trying to acquire.

Now...please let this thread die and get back to enjoying the bands music, which is readily available to you all.

VS.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2005, 09:20:45 am »
As far as topic goes:

Always be nice when talking about other jambands.  Even if a particular jamband doesn\'t do it for you, they are good just because they\'re in this scene and playing jam music.  

Think of a band in the jam circuit that doesn\'t do it for you...

...Now realize that they are better than 99% of all the music out there today.  Done.

Whenever someone asks me about a jam-circuit band that doesn\'t do it for me, I say
"They\'re good!  They do [xyz] really well.  They\'re good at what they do."  This has been my canned political response for years.  But it\'s always the truth and it leaves everyone in the conversation happy.  

As for The Breakfast, I\'ve definitely felt a big upswing over the last year, which is awesome.  I have absolutely no idea how far it will go.  At this point it really could be anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:29:16 am by Wolfman »

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2005, 09:54:30 am »
Quote from: Steffmo
I\'ll spend a few more minutes on this to add some clarity for you.
As to Moe., they had the good fortune to be signed to Epic Records about five years ago, by my friend Mike Caplan.  Caplan was at the time a muso at Epic....he is a fan of jam andprog., and he thought he could take Moe. mainstream.  Epic probably dumped 500,000. into Moe....sold maybe 40k records.  They were of course dropped, which is often a disaster for a band.

Not in Moe.\'s case, however, because the promotional boost had gotten them far enough ahead of the pack that they couls now make their own record and sell 20K.....which means essentially that you can spend 120,000 to make and market the CD.  If they spent 20k on the record, they had a 100,000 buget to promote...which would hopefully come back in even more sales

i don\'t pretend to know the music business or the people in it. i don\'t know, or have never heard of mike caplan. i don\'t know if epic is owned by any other company. i DO know that it was more like ten years ago when moe. signed with Sony. if sony has anything to do with epic, i\'m not aware of it. since their last release on sony (tin cans), they have produced and marketed their own albums under fatboy records (which was their "label" prior to sony) i have never heard of moe. being involved with epic records. please enlighten me. if you\'d rather....dsdon@aol.com. i want to make sure i understand....your saying that in 1999 or 2000, failed marketing by epic records, was the financial vehicle that set moe. on the path they are on now? i call bullshit!

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2005, 10:10:11 am »
Sony = Epic = BMG

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2005, 10:24:27 am »
Quote from: Steffmo
Point is.....The Breakfast are building a solid base in enough markets that at some point the dots will connect.  Mind you...it isn\'t easy.  Even the more simple Breakfast tunes are more complex than commerial radio wants, and as much as the voices have improved, the bands sound does not easily fit into commercial radio, which is the fastest way to expose the band to more fans.  

"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2005, 10:27:51 am »
how bout we just trust vic?  he seems to have a solid game plan.  sadly it doesn\'t involve the breakfast getting huge right now, but thats not how it works.
Postcount +1.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2005, 10:45:45 am »

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2005, 11:19:55 am »
Well..I love you Newbie....but you don\'t know of which you speak.

Moe did two records for Epic when Caplan was Sr VP of A and R there.  The last was I think 1999....not ten years ago.

The point is...when they were on Epic...yes owned by Sony....a huge amount of money was spent on the band, but they basically bombed on Sony.  But they didn\'t bomb in the jam scene.  The money that was spent did break them mainstream, but it put them way ahead of other bands that didn\'t happen to have a couple of hundred thousand spent on them.

My point is, even though they didn\'t succeed on a major, they got a huge boost in the jam scene.  That should be obvious.

I don\'t throw bullshit...and will bluntly respond when it is suggested I do.

FindYourself...

• ...aCitytoLiveIn
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2005, 11:27:43 am »
after the amount of time youve taken to fill us in, steffmo, it baffles me that people are giving you shit. thanks for the insight.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2005, 12:03:22 pm »
i think the fact that vic even spends the time and effort to explain this shit to us says a lot about the fact that he\'s committed to making this happen for the guys.  this is his career so i think he knows a lot more about it than we do.  end of discussion.  let him do his job.
Postcount +1.

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2005, 02:03:12 pm »
Hey...I like you guys and consider you to be an important component to the bands success.

One of my ideas is to take the first 1000 members of this site and set them aside for some special offers, etc.  A rock version of Jehovah\'s Witnesses or sumphin....

You can even give me shit....its fine.

I will however give it back.......

Its all good.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2005, 02:11:08 pm »
Glad to see the heat of this thread dying down cuz I have a major headache after going through it. There were some good posts and some not so good.

One of the things that I have always liked and admired about the boys in this band is their modesty and humility in who they are and what they do. I don\'t hear them bashing other bands, they focus on what they are doing, and being as good as they can be.  I think that is a big part of why I love them so much. It goes way beyond their musical prowess.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

funkydrummer23

• \"I love lamp\"
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2005, 02:30:32 pm »
very well put

very well put mark.....