Author Topic: Getting Back In The Game.....Of Life That Is.....  (Read 3767 times)

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
Getting Back In The Game.....Of Life That Is.....
« on: August 29, 2005, 01:44:31 pm »
for those unaware, I quit my job on July 5th so I could go on Timmy Tour for the remainder of the summer.  Aint it funny how time slips away?  Now as we ride the cresting wave of the summer that is labor day weekend, I am starting to feel the hammer of reality that is bearing down on my skull.  The three letter word that keeps crossing my mind is no longer "ser"...  it is J-O-B.

First off, I would like to thank everyone that has made the past 2 months the most amazing 2 months of my life.  everyone = the entire bfam.  It has been an amazing run chock full of hard belly laughs, a couple of faceplants, and some of the serest music I have ever had the pleasure and good fortune to witness.

I am thinking back to having Bezerker on my couch a couple of weeks ago, and the question I posed to him keeps ringing through my brain, "what do you want to do when you grow up?"  His answer was the same as mine, "I want to tour with the breakfast".  Since this is most unlikely, I must think about getting a real deal job.  But what can I do?  What do I want to do?

I am soliciting, networking if you will, this forum because this community is full of a wonderfully diverse group of people with whom I share so much with and love and respect all the opinions out here.

My qualifications:
- 6 years sales experience successfully selling a financial reporting software solution to CFO\'s and finance executives of multi-million dollar companies across the country
- 11 years (6 years full-time) managing/working in a busy local pizzaria.  Putting orders together, prepping and cooking the entire menu, and dealing with all customer relations issuse ranging from the highest praise to calming down and keeping even the biggest asshole customers satisfied.
- Fantastic people skills
- Eager and quick learner
- A loyal, dedicated, and honest employee,  I have been working steadily since I was 15 years old.  In that time I have had only 4 jobs. (6+ years at the pizzaria and 5+ years at the software company)
- oh and I almost forgot....charming and good looking ;)

So now I ask you out there in .infoland to offer up any advice, lessons, anticdotes, references, and whathaveyou that may help me along in my quest to get back into the world of the worker......
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 01:54:35 pm »
<<<< going on 4 months with no steady J-O-B.

I think back to the time in grade school when people were like, you have your whole life to decide what you want to do. HA

Gencs, I wish you the best of life and luck in your search for a job. I myself struggle everyday trying to get into a career that I am unsure of yet. I have spent the last month and a half working as a painter for my friends company and I really have considered taking over the labor section aka Starving Artists Painting Laborers, and making this my full-time profession.

Whatever you do, do what will make you happy. To often people make decisions on what they think they should be doing and not what they want to be doing. Sometimes you might just have to compromise. Between bills, students loans and the living situation, a shitty J-O-B doesn\'t sound so bad anymore.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:59:17 pm by Spacey »
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 02:04:46 pm »
stevie - best of luck in your search. i just took a look on hyperion.com, and it looks like we only have one sales-esque position open right now (in stamford, anyways), but if you wanna take a look, it\'s here:

http://careers.hodes.com/hyperion/job_detail.asp?JobID=395699&user_id=

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 02:10:36 pm »
Pec, most of the execs at my former software company were Hyperion alum.  That job is definitely right up my alley.  However I dont think that account manager at Hyperion has the same hourly flexability that affords you the ability to leave before morning and evening traffic.  I know the 95 south commute all too well and i give major respect to anyone who endures that on a day to day basis.....

That being said, when the times get desperate, the desperate get jumpy.......
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 02:12:24 pm »
steve, i\'m glad to see that you were able to have some fun this summer. last feb i graduated high school early and worked full time at a law firm for 6 months with literally no life. working 40-50 hours a week, i made very good money but knew i needed to go a little crazy before buckling down and going to college (community college is not that hard afterall). anyway, to make a long story short, i ended up saving several thousand bucks and quit my job on jun 9th to go to bonnaroo and didn\'t stop there. i definitely went on a serious dead,phish,festie run all summer long, living off the money i had and making money at the same time. now that i\'ve gotten some of it out of my system (definitely not all of it), i have a decent steady job and make enough where i can go to shows here and there--(limited cause i\'m stuck in the dirty south). anyway, i\'m happy that you have had a good time and wish you the best of luck.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 02:14:13 pm »
May have to keep "late night" in weekend isolation, though I\'m sure you can continue on your streak of representation at CT TT and TB shows.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 02:15:54 pm »
I wish the Breakfast would start touring extensively so I can turn my heady lot food dream into a reality..... "Gencs Grilled Za"

The days of grilled cheese and burritos ARE OVER!  Lot Za baby!

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 02:18:01 pm »
stevie if you want to build stone walls we might be able to work something out.  do people want stone walls in CT ??
*Gia*

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 02:19:59 pm »
Hmmmmmm....are you an experienced stone wall builder?  I have connections with landscapers and a couple of stone suppliers....

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 02:35:16 pm »
ive been doing it for 6 years, taught by a guy who\'s been doing it for over 50.  if you give me a pile of stones, i\'ll build you a headdie wall

it\'s my summer job, i used to build stone walls all day then drive 4 hours to see the breakfast....that\'s when i was as hardcore as jocelyn...but we haven\'t had much work around here for a month or so.  

if you can talk to those landscapers or whatever, then i think when i move down there we could easily make thousands of dollars per wall.

.......depending on the size of course.
*Gia*

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 02:37:27 pm »
CT = one of, if not, the richest states in the country.....
rich people love heady stone walls....
hmmmmmm.....i will look into it for you....

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 02:41:06 pm »
you may think i\'m crazy and stupid, but i can honestly say i own the stone wall building situation.  i can also honestly say those people down there wont mind paying 5-10 grand for a 100 foot wall that will take less than 5 days....especially if some do up here.
*Gia*

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 02:42:35 pm »
Stevie-I work in the career services dept. at my college and we take in all the jobs that companies send the school and post them on a board for the students. I will take a look at what we have so far and see if somethin\' will fit your fancy...

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 02:48:52 pm »
thanks amy....and thank you to all of you for your thoughts and well wishes.....  you dont know how much it means to me to be a part of the bfam....

Bezerker....do you have photos of your work?

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 02:55:25 pm »
yeah i have some not on the computer though.  my boss takes pictures of every wall we\'ve ever built and has a little book of them.  maybe i\'ll take a trip with my digital camera around the area and take pics of all the walls.

.......it\'s not like there\'s really anything else to do in NH
*Gia*