Author Topic: And they\'re off!!!!!  (Read 1940 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
And they\'re off!!!!!
« on: August 15, 2005, 06:19:02 pm »
has anyone else noticed this?

Mostly between Dave and Chris, but it\'s like watching a race after every show. If only one person tapes a show, there is no rush, but when there were multiple tapers, they all go as fast as possible to get the torrent up before the other guy. I remeber Dave telling me once that after a show in RI, he had someone else drive home so that he could track out the show and create the flac files before he got home. 24 hour turnarounds and what not.

The interesting thing is, all of these people are putting an insane amount of time  and effort into recording these shows, but if yours gets posted second, even if it is a better recording, most people already have got the show downloaded and will not bother to download the second version. Back in the analog days, it would make sence if a higher generation version came out, but nowadays, the differences are so minute to the average listener that I don\'t think they really care. Its kinda of sad though. All the tapers are putting in a ton of work to get things out to us (for free I might add), but only the fastest one gets the props.

I\'m waiting for the day when somone starts putting money on this. I can picture it

Spread:
1. Fitz 35%
2. Pec 50%
3. Vallo 15%

Fitz has off tomorrow, but worked a double shift today. Pec is off both days but has been working in the yard all afternoon. Vallo is doing a multitrack. Stats would have Vallo out in 3rd because his will take more time, but sound many times better, so it\'s a heated race between Fitz and Pec based on who is more tired. Pec has a secret weapon though... Going shopping just before the show, the back of the SUV is full of 24 pacs of SoBe Adrenaline Rush. He pounds them all night while Chris has 2 beers. Peck is out in the lead at the end of the night as he is bouncing off the walls packing in his gear. Being a hartford show though, Fitz has a shorter drive home and starts editing 20 minutes before pec. Now 2:15am, its a heated race at the computers. Chris sets his to mix down and goes to sleep at 3:30. Pec stays up to build the torrent and finish off the SoBe. Pec posts his at 3:45am and goes to bed, confident he\'s the winner. Chris meanwhile had set his alarm and wakes up at 4 to post the finished product. Fitz version is up at 4:15.

in a giant upset though, three people on 3 different coasts that are all up at this time for no apparent reason, Boombox, Alz, and Zappa, start a conversation about the show (that none of them were at) starting at 4:30am. Since Pec was so busy getting the show posted, he never posted a setlist and the conversation starts in the fitz torrent post. End result - Although Pec was first, the conversation moves fitzs\' to the top of the \'new posts\' list when people start logging on later that morning, and fitz wins in a landslide!

anyway, the whole point of this is that these guys put a shitload of time into all this and for what? It seems like they just love doing it, and I\'m thankful for that. :thumbsup:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
And they\'re off!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 06:36:55 pm »
There is a lot of tapers for such a small scene. They all do a great job and the turnaround time is unreal! Thanks guys! Jason-A too!

ChrisF

• http://
And they\'re off!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 07:17:47 pm »
hilarious post paul! sounded like a wolfman post to me. dave already has a huge advantage over me.

i am working in pro tools, so i have to bounce my audio down in real time. if its a 2.5 hour show, dave has about a 2.5 hour advantage over me. i could work in vegas and apply my mastering plugins because it saves the files out fast, but i like the EQ that comes with pro tools and i find it easier to get things done the way i want in pro tools. sometimes i will work in soundforge if the levels are set perfectly and it needs no EQ.

Quote from: FrankZappa

but if yours gets posted second, even if it is a better recording, most people already have got the show downloaded and will not bother to download the second version.

Quote from: FrankZappa

differences are so minute to the average listener that I don\'t think they really care. Its kinda of sad though. All the tapers are putting in a ton of work to get things out to us (for free I might add), but only the fastest one gets the props.

check out my acoustic cafe recording. it sounds nothing like daves. the two recordings are like night and day even though we were both in the same location clamped to the same mic stand.

i prefer mine, but that may just be because i am so used to listening to breakfast recorded by my mics with my pre amp that i find it somewhat difficult to listen to recordings done with other gear.

i am really happy with my UA-5 (warm mod) and i think it makes the band sound great no matter which pair of mics i happen to be using with it. mike and dave have unmodified UA-5 and they sound pretty good, but i think the warm mod is the key element in the equation. for me its just not the same listening to recordings of the band without it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 07:19:53 pm by ChrisF »

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
And they\'re off!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 08:08:42 pm »
i, also, really appreciate the work you guys do. it still boggles my mind and then shakes my bones.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
    • http://
And they\'re off!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 03:10:12 am »
:lol: Highly entertaining post. Loved the bit about me and al - the crazy thing with time differences.

And don\'t forget mike in your list of regular tapers, as well as the growing number of new guys too - they allow us all a regular fix of new breakfast.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
And they\'re off!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 04:03:33 pm »
yeah man that new eq for 6.7 is really sweet, its too bad i use a digi 001 and cant utilize 6.7.....
Postcount +1.