Author Topic: Caviar/90\'s alternative appreciation  (Read 3653 times)

ChrisF

• http://
Caviar/90\'s alternative appreciation
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2005, 09:03:38 pm »
get with the program, kate. its the most important meal of the day!

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2005, 06:28:32 am »
Quote from: ChrisF
jimmy chamberlin is the serest drummer that i have ever heard and i just cant get enough of his playing.

:thumbsup:

...and the main reason that F.U., Geek U.S.A., and Jellybelly are 3 of my most favoritest SP songs.

Quote from: FrankZappa
cake and live don\'t get enough respect. I got throwing copper when it came out and it\'s still a top rotation disc for me. Cake is still out there after some hiatus time and I still love everything they do. Same for NIN although nothing will ever touch the epic of pretty hate machine.

Throwing Copper is amazing.. The Dam At Otter Creek is one of the greatest album openers of all time (up there with Mellon Collie and STP\'s \'Press Play\'), and Pillar Of Davidson still gives me chills every time i hear it.

paul, not sure if you\'ve checked out nin\'s [with_teeth] yet, but it\'s damn good. damn good.

Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya
green day--dookie (before they became extremely obnoxious and every song sounded the same)

mama - not sure if you\'ve checked out American Idiot, but it\'s a freaking masterpiece. still gets regular play from me, and it\'s been almost a year now.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2005, 07:46:35 am »
Quote from: davepeck
paul, not sure if you\'ve checked out nin\'s [with_teeth] yet, but it\'s damn good. damn good.

green day--dookie (before they became extremely obnoxious and every song sounded the same)

mama - not sure if you\'ve checked out American Idiot, but it\'s a freaking masterpiece. still gets regular play from me, and it\'s been almost a year now.

I got with teeth, its had a few rotations, but its like the double album he put out to me -  some really really good stuff intertwinded with some filler. I\'ll dig it back out though. I loved old greenday (pre-dookie). I\'ve debated getting american idiot, but other than nin and breakfast, I dont think I\'ve bought any albums in the last year... may have to go get it.

oh yea, did anyone mention foo fighters? :thumbsup:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

ChrisF

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2005, 07:54:38 am »
I dont think I\'ve bought any albums in the last year... may have to go get it.

i have been trying to buy more albums lately. I still need the new foo fighters album and the new billy corgan album. some albums of 2005 that i have enjoyed are:

jimmy chamberlin complex - life begins again
kaki king - legs to make us longer
the mars volta - frances the mute
system of a down - mezmerize

and of course real radio.

what else has come out this year that is worth buying?

oh yea, did anyone mention foo fighters? :thumbsup:

yeah, page 1.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2005, 08:04:20 am »
Quote from: ChrisF
what else has come out this year that is worth buying?

Beck - Guero

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2005, 08:14:40 am »
I was supposed to be going to the System of a Down show at the Wooster Centrum, general admission floor but..... i can\'t. Kind of bumed but hey
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

helluvahat

• I Like Dirt
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2005, 08:34:57 am »

oh yea, did anyone mention Sublime? :thumbsup:
Play some Weezer!!!

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2005, 09:10:06 am »
Quote from: helluvahat

oh yea, did anyone mention Sublime? :thumbsup:

I\'m going to see Badfish the Sublime tribute tonight and on another Rocks off on the Friday of Rocks Off>Captain Nick\'s. They are definitely my second most seen/photographed band

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2005, 10:15:03 am »

ok i will admit that i owned nimrod and insomniac as well, but stopped listening to green day a whiiiiiile ago. i feel like the new green day (last 5-7 years i guess) has been so unbelieveably poppy. the only song i\'ve heard off of american idiot has been holiday, and it made me want to gouge my eyes out..when i hear that song i think of sum41 and 11 year old boys with ball chain necklaces who wear shirts that say "you got served" or something like that.

helluva-as for sublime, they are one of my favorite bands of all time. i\'ve definitely been listening to them for years and love their music. for whatever reason, i don\'t put them in the same category as the 90\'s alternative rock i listened to years ago, but i guess they do belong in that grouping.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2005, 10:24:49 am »

ok i will admit that i owned nimrod and insomniac as well, but stopped listening to green day a whiiiiiile ago. i feel like the new green day (last 5-7 years i guess) has been so unbelieveably poppy. the only song i\'ve heard off of american idiot has been holiday, and it made me want to gouge my eyes out..when i hear that song i think of sum41 and 11 year old boys with ball chain necklaces who wear shirts that say "you got served" or something like that.

i actually stopped listening after dookie. loved kerplunk and 1,039..., but i\'m in the same boat as you after dookie (but how could you NOT love \'Minority\'??).. i never owned anything after dookie until AI.

personally, i like \'Holiday\'.. but the album as a whole tells a story, beginning to end, and it\'s really, truly, amazing.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2005, 10:31:48 am »
remember soul coughing.... asuper bon bon super bon bon
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

helluvahat

• I Like Dirt
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2005, 10:38:21 am »

helluva-as for sublime, they are one of my favorite bands of all time. i\'ve definitely been listening to them for years and love their music. for whatever reason, i don\'t put them in the same category as the 90\'s alternative rock i listened to years ago, but i guess they do belong in that grouping.

definitely one my alltime favorites as well.  Yea, I\'d agree they probably don\'t fall into the 90s alternative rock category.  They were definitely more special than those most of those other bands.  

Badfish definitely does them justice though.  I always have a great time at their shows.  Definitely suggest checking them out if you are a fan of sublime.

Quote from: Gfunk
remember soul coughing.... asuper bon bon super bon bon

HA!  my cousin just let me borrow that CD the other day...  dont need to walk around in circles, walk around now.
Play some Weezer!!!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2005, 06:51:07 pm »
going out on a limb here, but anyone Boyz II Men fans as a child. i could belt out II straight through, i actually was an r&b fanatic when i was younger, even through 8th grade to freshmen year. Blackstreet\'s Another Level was big for me too. and how could i leave out Michael Jackson? i know his best shit came out pre-90\'s but i was only 7 in 1990 and i listnened to MJ extensively, still bust out Thriller all the time. Fugees kind of fit into the r&b category for me, although its hip-hop. The Score is phenomenal.

As for Sublime, definitely still one of my favorite bands. their cd\'s never get old, 40 oz. on a sunny day is perfect. also love all of their dubs on Robbin Tha Hood, i used to put track 5 (i think? its got that sweet bass line) on repeat in the mountains for runs i could \'groove\' while snowboarding.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2005, 10:54:08 am »
Quote from: Gordo
going out on a limb here, but anyone Boyz II Men fans as a child. i could belt out II straight through, i actually was an r&b fanatic when i was younger, even through 8th grade to freshmen year. Blackstreet\'s Another Level was big for me too. and how could i leave out Michael Jackson? i know his best shit came out pre-90\'s but i was only 7 in 1990 and i listnened to MJ extensively, still bust out Thriller all the time. Fugees kind of fit into the r&b category for me, although its hip-hop. The Score is phenomenal.QUOTE]

sorry, well maybe a little. at that point in my life i was all about Metallica. How about Jane\'s Addiction

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2005, 04:08:49 pm »
track 7 on Robbin the Hood.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash