Author Topic: Caviar/90\'s alternative appreciation  (Read 3711 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Caviar/90\'s alternative appreciation
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 10:38:01 am »
most already mentioned, but mine are: nin, live, radiohead, cake, green jelly, pearl jam, phish (i discovered them in 93/94), beck, rem, rhcp.

cake and live don\'t get enough respect. I got throwing copper when it came out and it\'s still a top rotation disc for me. Cake is still out there after some hiatus time and I still love everything they do. Same for NIN although nothing will ever touch the epic of pretty hate machine.

lots of one hit wonders. I don\'t concider the late 90\'s \'alternernative\'.. I concider it crap... The orgions of more crap that is still being produced today. It all started one day when Peck said "Did you ever here of a band called lincon park? I was told I look like the singer by a guy at the gym..."

on a side, this august is the 10th aniversarry of Jerrys passing. Oh how things have changed.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 10:41:50 am »
oh man.  4th grade....
Postcount +1.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 12:21:45 pm »
90\'S=BIG STEP UP FROM THE 80\'S

Hellava- those were my bands to, then it all went down hill when i befriended a hardcore (polesmoker) kid. Then it was Snapcase, Downset, Early Deftones, Mighty Mighty BT, VooDoo GlowSkulls

how about Silver Chair
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 12:31:50 pm »
http://www.radiohitlist.com/Q101/Q1011996.htm

I have this entire collection.

It takes up 6 CDs, but it is the sex. I listen to these songs constantly.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

helluvahat

• I Like Dirt
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 12:36:44 pm »
Quote from: derickw

Hellava- those were my bands to, then it all went down hill when i befriended a hardcore (polesmoker) kid. Then it was Snapcase, Downset, Early Deftones, Mighty Mighty BT, VooDoo GlowSkulls

ha!!  and then you dyed your hair black, started wearing black eye make-up, and felt the urge to hit every person that walked by you.  

definitely was into the bosstones and deftones.  Still love that stuff.  

Silverchair\'s first album was pretty good by the 90s standards.  I\'ll listen to it in every once in a while to reminisce....

Quote from: ChrisF

now its starting to get cheesey. i hate to see bush, local h, goldfinger and spacehog all mentioned before radiohead, blur, cake, foo fighters, and flaming lips

I was by no means saying those guys were better than radiohead or the foo fighters.  Just first bands that came to mind....
Play some Weezer!!!

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 12:37:38 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb
oh man.  4th grade....

definitely...all of the bands mentioned in this thread definitely kick ass
gordo-mellon collie is still one of my favorite cds, i used to love smashing pumpkins..as for other bands listed, i fucking loved no doubt, stp, nirvana, beck, green day--dookie (before they became extremely obnoxious and every song sounded the same) weezer blue album, silverchair, foo fighters, flaming lips, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, hole..damn ok i\'ll stop now

adding on, i have to say that i HATE the new "rock" on the radio now, anything creed, 3 doors down, limp bizkit crap lincoln park, nickelback, puddle of mud..i think that the alternative rock of the 90s was fucking awesome and have no idea how it became so horrible in the late 90s-now
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 12:41:12 pm by Mamalakabubadaya »

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 12:40:30 pm »
Bollweevil by PUSA is on my \'morning mix\'....I listen to it in the shower every day.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 12:52:30 pm »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya
Quote from: Jim Cobb
oh man.  4th grade....

definitely...all of the bands mentioned in this thread definitely kick ass
gordo-mellon collie is still one of my favorite cds, i used to love smashing pumpkins..as for other bands listed, i fucking loved no doubt, stp, nirvana, beck, green day--dookie (before they became extremely obnoxious and every song sounded the same) weezer blue album, silverchair, foo fighters, flaming lips, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, hole..damn ok i\'ll stop now

adding on, i have to say that i HATE the new "rock" on the radio now, anything creed, 3 doors down, limp bizkit crap lincoln park, nickelback, puddle of mud..i think that the alternative rock of the 90s was fucking awesome and have no idea how it became so horrible in the late 90s-now

I saw Limp Biscuit open up for the Deftones, wow reaching back.

Hellava- was more like throw on the first pair of 30" bottom pants and get my balls busted by ever jock and wanna be cool guy which propted the hit everbody you see attitude. Blink 182 was good shit before they sold out, anybody ever hear of a band named Propaghndi- funny ass punk music. Suicide Machines, the Toasters, Mephaskaphalies

helluvahat

• I Like Dirt
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2005, 01:04:13 pm »
Quote from: derickw

I saw Limp Biscuit open up for the Deftones, wow reaching back.

Hellava- was more like throw on the first pair of 30" bottom pants and get my balls busted by ever jock and wanna be cool guy which propted the hit everbody you see attitude. Blink 182 was good shit before they sold out, anybody ever hear of a band named Propaghndi- funny ass punk music. Suicide Machines, the Toasters, Mephaskaphalies

I saw limp bizkit with redman and method man opening up for them.  funny show!

I like the early blink stuff.  Saw them at an awesome Warped tour show up in NoHo back in the day.  Saw the bosstones, reel big fish, less than jake, spring heeled jack, etc....right before ska (or ska rock or ska punk) got popular.  

never heard of propaghndi.
Play some Weezer!!!

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005, 02:28:15 pm »
Propoghadi are a bunch of canadian hooligans who have been dishing out politically infused punk rock with a large slab of humor since the mid-late nineties.  "How To Clean Everything" is by far one of the most impressive albums I have ever heard (if that\'s your thing)... I don\'t think it is fair to be including them in this
<<<<<<  has much love for Cake\'s "Fashion Nugget"
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2005, 02:55:24 pm »
Good call Buq glad to see some other FREAKS out there.

I was at that Wraped tour, was that the one where the VooDoo Glow Shulls where giving away a low rider bike to the first person to strip completly naked and get on stage. I\'ve never seen a crowd of a couple thousand people part like the red sea like that. i stepped to the side to see this naked dude jumping on peoples back that had no clue what was behind them, ohhhhh funny shit when they turned around to find out some dudes junk was all over them. that might have been the following year, i went 2 years in a row and that was it.

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2005, 03:59:56 pm »
...digging out Spin Doctors CD, didnt these guys start out as a jamband??
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2005, 04:57:03 pm »
Spindoctors did start as a jamband and I think they can still be "considered" one. This is one band that was killed by radio exposure. People attended their concerts thinking they would be just like they heard on the radio and then learned differently.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2005, 08:05:05 pm »
if you, want to be my baby, just go ahead now..

this guitar instructor last semester was telling me and some friends how most of Green Day\'s songs are just rearrangements of classical music (obviously w/original lyrics). but he played like 3 or 4 on the spot, classical song first GD\'s version next. i was surprised, and lost a good deal of respect. green day\'s versions do no justice.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2005, 08:44:21 pm »
Awww Gordo, you put my Ultimate N00b quote in your signature :)