Author Topic: Lucky 7 (Tour de France thread)  (Read 3174 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Lucky 7 (Tour de France thread)
« on: July 02, 2005, 04:11:36 pm »
Lucky 7, or the Tour de France thread

Lance Armstrong, winner of 7 tours. confirmed.

so, don\'t know if anyone on here cares, but Lance had a kick-ass start to the tour today. After loosing his pedal lock right off the start of the gate in time trials, he not only came in second place (behind another discovery channel member), but he lapped Jan Ullrich (probably his strongest challenger). If anything, this was a big psychological move on armstrongs side. Discovery team is looking pretty damn good. If they can stay ahead of T-mobile, it\'s all over.

Top 5 Individual time trials
1. Dave Zabriskie (USA - CSC) 19km in 20’51"
2. Lance Armstrong (USA - DSC) at 2"
3. Alexandre Vinokourov (KAZ - TMO) at 53"
4. George Hincapie (USA - DSC) at 56"
5. Laszlo Bodrogi (HUN - C.A) at 59"

and, way down on the list
157+. Paul Ryan (US) 16 miles in 33:23

I didn\'t feel like figuring out 19k to miles in my head, but I knew it was more than 10 and less than 16 miles. Overall I did 28.6 miles (46.0174 Km) in one hour. I was at least 3 minutes behind the leader by my caluclations for 11.8 miles, and #156 was 3 minutes behind out of 189 riders. Either way you put it, it would be way down on list.

19 k down, 3794.5 to go (11.8 miles down, 2357.9 to go)
Tour de France main site
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 12:09:26 am »
Yahoo Go Lance. Thanx for the update Paul.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 10:51:39 am »
Fuck Lance Armstrong.  This is a guy who finds out he has cancer and after his wife of "how many years" stays by his side through everything, not just the normal crap that you have to deal with when being married to someone, let alone someone who is a worldwide recognizable figure, but part of a sport that probably takes more dedication than just about any other sport out there.  Then he ends up kicking he to the curb for Cheryl Crow????  WTF?  That is a really nice way to show your better half how much you appreciate her....fucking asshole.

Fuck Him and those stupid fucking yellow pieces of rubber that sport his name.  yeah yeah yeah the proceeds go to cancer research I presume,  but for a while stupid fuckbags were selling them on ebay for rediculous profits to even bigger fuckbags who just "had to have one"....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 12:37:22 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs
Fuck Lance Armstrong.  This is a guy who finds out he has cancer and after his wife of "how many years" stays by his side through everything, not just the normal crap that you have to deal with when being married to someone, let alone someone who is a worldwide recognizable figure, but part of a sport that probably takes more dedication than just about any other sport out there.  Then he ends up kicking he to the curb for Cheryl Crow????  WTF?  That is a really nice way to show your better half how much you appreciate her....fucking asshole.

Fuck Him and those stupid fucking yellow pieces of rubber that sport his name.  yeah yeah yeah the proceeds go to cancer research I presume,  but for a while stupid fuckbags were selling them on ebay for rediculous profits to even bigger fuckbags who just "had to have one"....

Hmmm Wah\'s best bud and he cannot see how a guy can marry a BITCH? rotfl
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 04:13:10 pm »
steve - I don\'t agree with alot Lance has done either, but talent is talent no matter how you slice it. The man is one of the most impressive in the world at sheer physical endurance, hands down.

On the armbands, he had no control of assholes selling them on ebay, or making them themselves and selling them for profit in stores.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 11:16:46 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa
steve - I don\'t agree with alot Lance has done either, but talent is talent no matter how you slice it. The man is one of the most impressive in the world at sheer physical endurance, hands down.

On the armbands, he had no control of assholes selling them on ebay, or making them themselves and selling them for profit in stores.

Paul....you are right.  My comments were just shot from the hip....  and maybe he had no control over people selling the bands for gigantic profits, but i dont recall him doing anything to try and stop it....

Leith,  lets not try to talk about other peoples business, especailly situations you have no idea about, in open internet forums....especailly amongst friends of the people you are talking about....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 11:41:23 am »
I was in France two summers ago for study abroad while the Tour was going on. Let me say, I watched it every day. It\'s addicting. And yeah, I don\'t agree with some personal decisions Lance has made, but the guy is a powerhouse. My last day in France, I was in Paris...instead of going to the Louvre or Eiffel Tower with everyone else, I convinced 4 other exchange students to go down to the Champs-Elysées with me and we saw the last laps of the tour. We stood there for probably 2 hours before they showed up, but it was worth it. I saw Lance zoom by about 10 minutes before he won. I\'ll post pictures later.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 01:01:49 pm »
Lance Armstrong.... Best. Athlete. Ever.
Masturbation in the MFA

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 01:59:01 pm »
Jim Thorpe and some other folks might have something to say about that
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 02:06:36 pm »
He definitely is one of the healthest athletes ever. I heard that even after brisk workouts that his heart rate barely increases or something along those lines.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 07:51:30 am »
I can\'t believe he\'s leading after 4 stages...he usually takes over during the mountain stages which are like stages 10-18.  

BIIIIIIIIII SI CLE  BIIIIIIIIIII SI CLE BIIIIIIIII SI CLE

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 08:12:32 am »
I wasn\'t sure who jim thorpe was:

The career biography of Jim Thorpe reads like an encyclopedia of sports, encompassing virtually every major athletic event available. In the 1912 Olympic Games, he won both the pentathlon and decathlon events. In the same year, he led his Carlisle Indian School team to the national collegiate championship, scoring 25 touchdowns and 198 points. Following the college football season, Thorpe went on to play 6 years of Major League Baseball. Meanwhile, he managed to lead the Canton Bulldogs football team to unofficial world championships in 1916, 1917, and 1919. When he eventually finished his playing days in 1928 with the Chicago Cardinals, Jim Thorpe had become an athletic attraction that crowds flocked to see. Thorpe died on March 28, 1953.

HA!!  That\'s just plain stooooooopid.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 11:31:32 am »
Jim thorpe is one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest. Its a shame that everyone was racist back then and limited his potential after the olympics.

On another, lance is still in yellow today :thumbsup: gotta love working at espn, get paid to watch the race every day. I actually don\'t like my weekends in july, because I can\'t see the race :P

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa
Jim thorpe is one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest. Its a shame that everyone was racist back then and limited his potential after the olympics.

On another, lance is still in yellow today :thumbsup: gotta love working at espn, get paid to watch the race every day. I actually don\'t like my weekends in july, because I can\'t see the race :P

Thorpe was black?  His photo\'s make him look pretty white.

FZ, you work @ ESPN... do you know Mary Buckheit?

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 01:24:23 pm »
Do you know how big ESPN is slim?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.