Poll

(08) Question Mark And The Mind vs. (09) Garcian Fishbowl

08) Question Mark And The Mind
36 (47.4%)
09) Garcian Fishbowl
40 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: June 19, 2005, 12:05:18 am

Author Topic: (08) Question Mark And The Mind vs. (09) Garcian Fishbowl  (Read 12722 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2005, 07:29:00 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs
5. Somebody dig up Teddy Torres and have him decide. wait...who??[/I]

fixed... noob.. :sigh:

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2005, 07:30:26 pm »
Doesn\'t look like a tie is happening here
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2005, 07:31:10 pm »
i can definately have noob-esque moments at times......

you comin to Polo tonight Peck????? or do you just do Sidebar Solo Timmy shows????
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2005, 07:35:44 pm »
twas brought up by mikey before, and considered, but alas, tonight = sanity. mom\'s wedding tomorrow, paul\'s wedding saturday, dad\'s day on sunday, though i may be taking him to porter\'s... we\'ll see..

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2005, 07:42:08 pm »
that link is bunk Zurflu....
Thanks...never met him, but the name rang a bell..

That was Psychedelic Breakfast\'s webpage back in the day.  I\'m sure it is no longer operable.  I\'m surprised you don\'t remember it, you were definitely around back then (drinking Newcastle from what I remember).  Your brain must be fucked from the T.T. Wed. night after-parties.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2005, 07:45:33 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu
that link is bunk Zurflu....
Thanks...never met him, but the name rang a bell..

That was Psychedelic Breakfast\'s webpage back in the day.  I\'m sure it is no longer operable.  I\'m surprised you don\'t remember it, you were definitely around back then (drinking Newcastle from what I remember).  Your brain must be fucked from the T.T. Wed. night after-parties.

I do remember it.....I thought the link sent me to some static reproduction of the front page or something.... I was deifinately around back then...with much much less frequency.....and i am pretty sure TT and TT late night is slowly putting me in the ground.....
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

Dyed_Tie

• Right There That\'s It Yes
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2005, 09:32:31 pm »
Wow someone else calls it bombardment!!!!  Everytime I try to tell someone about bombardment they say oh you mean dodgeball.

Have everyone involved meet up for a game of bombardment
If trees could scream do you think we would be so cavalier to cut them down? Maybe if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Probably the worst thing about having King Kong run rampant in your town would be the huge, monster genitalia.

I wish I had a kryptonite cross, because then I could keep Dracula and Superman away.
   :mario: :luigi: :yoshi:  :toad:

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2005, 09:36:05 pm »
1.  A bit odd yes, but we gotta do something and it\'s gotta be original and fun.  No doubt about the original and fun part.

2.  I hear ya, you could participate no prob.

3.  I think bombardment = dodgeball.  That would be fun.

4.  You\'re definitely right that the points-for-posts method is the most feasible.  It\'s just like when a company votes for its board of directors, everyone has as many votes as shares they own in the company.  

5. What Al said. Teddy makes an appearance once a year, and can be seen pummeling the sequoia in the gallery pics from 3/30/1.

6.  You\'re right.  100% of the proceeds to support .info

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2005, 09:43:44 pm »
dodgeball, etc can be thrown out the window, because there will be very little layover between rounds. i\'m hoping to be home when these end on saturday night to get the next round up and running..

possibility - in the event of a tie, BOTH songs move to the next round to face the winner of the corresponding bracket, in a triple-threat match for the right to move onto the next round after that... just a thought.. gotta make things as easy as possible.

Wolfman

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2005, 10:24:34 pm »
The 3-way idea is compelling, however the problem is that this method will heavily favor the higher seed while the lower seeds take votes away from each other.  In order to defeat a higher song, a lower song needs to gain a solid groundswell of support.  If two lower songs are going up against a higher song, neither lower song will stand any chance to defeat the higher song while simultaneously battling the other lower song.  In this particular bracket, it is highly unlikely that either Question Mark or Garcian will defeat Buquebus anyways.  However, later on it could happen that a 4 and a 5 tie right before facing a 1, or a 6 and a 3 tie before facing a 2, etc.  A single 4 or 5 could reasonably defeat a 1, and a single 3 or 6 could certainly beat a 2, but not while facing another low seed at the same time.  

In addition, this method would be ineffective to settle a tie for the championship.  

Finally, a further tie in a 3-way matchup would theoretically create a 4-way matchup, which would be so chaotic that it would deter from the legitimacy of the tourney.  

Here are my serious ideas, without the fun stuff:

1. Total posts by voters.  Works just like an election for a board of directors where each share owned equals one vote.  In this case, each post equals one vote.  

2. Take the song that has been performed live more times.  It has more legitimacy, more of a solid foundation for the next round.

3.  Have Tim rank all of the songs 1-64.  Higher Timmy ranking prevails.

4.  Delay the start of the next matchup until 3 additional votes have been cast.  In order to be eligible, the 3 additional voters must 1. Have registered their .info account on or before February 2005 and 2. Have at least 50 posts.  This way it will not become a matter of who can create new accounts.    

5.  Another version of option #4 is to have a pre-established tiebreaking committee of an odd number of people.  The members of the tiebreaking committee must give up their eligibility to vote in any of the regular rounds.  However, in the case of a tie they will vote and settle the tie.  In order to be on the tiebreaking committee, the user must have registered on or before February 2005, must have at least 50 posts, and must forfeit their right to vote in any regulation rounds.

Basically, do anything but a coin flip.  Random would suck.  The idea is to come up with anything to avoid this.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 09:14:53 pm by Wolfman »

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2005, 10:45:40 am »
wolfy, i cant say i agree with your idea of seniority.  what makes me less of a fan than the guy who\'s known about the band for longer?

also if total live performances was the answer, where would a song like sundance be against uncle freddy?  i mean i know that one wont tie, but i\'m just sayin.

a tie breaking committee would be cool, but if they just voted normally, then there wouldn\'t be a tie to begin with...  

i like the ask timmy idea.
Postcount +1.

Wolfman

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2005, 05:05:11 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb
wolfy, i cant say i agree with your idea of seniority.  what makes me less of a fan than the guy who\'s known about the band for longer?

An understandable criticism.  I wasn\'t too keen on this idea anyways.  I threw it out there because it\'s based on a well-established election system used throughout the world, but it\'s not my favorite either.  

also if total live performances was the answer, where would a song like sundance be against uncle freddy?  i mean i know that one wont tie, but i\'m just sayin.

Screw it, idea #5 is the best one anyways.

a tie breaking committee would be cool, but if they just voted normally, then there wouldn\'t be a tie to begin with...  
i like the ask timmy idea.

There could be a tie if the committee members vote, as long as there were an even number of total voters.  The reason that the committee members cannot vote normally is for the same reason you brought up before: it makes certain people more important than others.  It would be like saying "OK, everyone\'s vote counts, but person x y and z count more because they are the tiebreaking votes."  If the tiebreaking committee is held powerless except in cases of a tie, then they are equal to everyone else, just with a different role.  

I think the committee is a viable idea.  All members can be called by phone and the next round can get started a couple of hours after the others, no big deal at all.  In fact, I would like to nominate:

1. Dobson
2. Kroop
3. Manhandler

They are all knowledgable and unlikely to vote in regular rounds anyways.  They are thus perfect candidates.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2005, 05:29:52 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman

...., I would like to nominate:

1. Dobson
2. Kroop
3. Manhandler

They are all knowledgable and unlikely to vote in regular rounds anyways.  They are thus perfect candidates.

Ser Committee right there........

I would like to see a committee of 5.....

1. Dobson
2. Kroop
3. Manhandler
4. Freddiewaht
5. Nikki The Italian

3 reps from the band side...
2 reps from the ser fanside....

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2005, 05:35:42 pm »
yeah thats true, i\'m convinced.  good idea.  but we gotta decide soon.
Postcount +1.

Wolfman

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2005, 09:12:21 pm »

I would like to see a committee of 5.....

1. Dobson
2. Kroop
3. Manhandler
4. Freddiewaht
5. Nikki The Italian

3 reps from the band side...
2 reps from the ser fanside....

I agree Steve.  Some representation from the crew and the fans would be cool.  I also agree that band girlfriends make great committee candidates.  It would be tough to get Freddie to forfeit his regular voting rights, but if he wanted to then I don\'t see why not.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 09:22:12 pm by Wolfman »