Author Topic: Breakfast vs. UM chat  (Read 3666 times)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 12:15:08 pm »
The Breakfast, IMO, have a great sense of musical roots. In every song you can hear the influence of another musician/style of music.

they, as you said, lack exposure/management
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 12:15:26 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s
As a follow up. I cannot imagine what the band would do if they were on stage in front of a crowd the size of roo or a festival of that size. they always seem to thrive off the energy (especially Tim) and I can only wonder what they would be pulling out.

There was an interview I read from Warren haynes and he made a comment that he thought a lot of bands these days lacked knowledge of the roots of music (he made the reference in speaking about how the Grateful Dead explored the roots of american music) I personally think you do not have to look any further than this band to find it.

KindM\'s Droppin SER Breakfast Science on our asses....NICE!!!
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 12:20:03 pm »
Discussions like this amuse me... 90% of the people in them know one band so much more than the other.  For example, "The Breakfast doesn\'t have any slow jams" is clear demonstration of somebody not knowing The Breakfast but talking anyway.  It would be like me saying that UM doesn\'t have a single good song based upon the three shows (28 originals total) that I have downloaded.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 12:25:16 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs
I believe they will be setting the bar for bands currently together and those yet to be formed....

i agree, when i leave a breakfast show, and then go rehearse with my band, i\'ve got a million and one ideas in my head of how we could be better.  and i\'m not in any way saying that we bite off the breakfast\'s style in any way, but i draw inspiration from their live show because it\'s unlike any i\'ve seen before.  and i doubt that i\'m the only one.
Postcount +1.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 12:25:35 pm »
you make a good point!

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 12:28:25 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb
Quote from: Stephengencs
I believe they will be setting the bar for bands currently together and those yet to be formed....

i agree, when i leave a breakfast show, and then go rehearse with my band, i\'ve got a million and one ideas in my head of how we could be better.  and i\'m not in any way saying that we bite off the breakfast\'s style in any way, but i draw inspiration from their live show because it\'s unlike any i\'ve seen before.  and i doubt that i\'m the only one.

Its all about fusion...

"Fusion is what I want...Fusion is BEST"

"takin the best from the best and makin it {your} own"
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 12:40:02 pm »
anyone think their NAME STILL HURTS THEM???????
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 12:41:16 pm »
for a long time, i was disappointed with my name, but then I realized I am who I am and thats it. Still not sure why my parents refer to me as spacey....

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 12:52:08 pm »
Quote from: Gordo
tell him to download a sick Gladys Pimp for a slow tune.... just to be a dick for a good reason.

I like the way you think.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 01:23:57 pm »
You could also suggest that he listens to the 6-29-2003 show from the Jellyfish Lounge.  The pace of the entire show is slow.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 01:27:14 pm »
I think that this is good exposure for the band because it is not one of us from the boards who started this thread. It means we have fans outside of this small 800 person community. People want Breakfast, and you have to give the people what they want.

I guess now all we have to do, is get these people to the shows...

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 01:36:12 pm »
Quote from: Spacey
I think that this is good exposure for the band because it is not one of us from the boards who started this thread. It means we have fans outside of this small 800 person community. People want Breakfast, and you have to give the people what they want.

I guess now all we have to do, is get these people to the shows...

I think we should also track down some of the old "die hard" fans from the past that haven\'t been active in the Breakfast community for a while.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 04:03:07 pm »
Quote from: Gordo
Quote from: Jim Cobb
i dont think UM are all that great.  i saw \'em at the jammys and i wasnt really impressed.  i found them to be very run of the mill.

they definitely got talent, theyre tight, but everything sounds so similar after awhile. and i still cant believe how much people like Bayliss as a singer?! ive even heard people call him a "soulful" singer, WHAT THE FUCK? whatever, the breakfast will be like a giant wave, the peak starts on the surface then builds itself to the top where it then topples over and engulfs everything at high speeds.. fuck umph\'s popularity, ive said it before, if the breakfast was from chicago theyd have a huge fanbase already. its strictly power in numbers.

I personally think Brendan\'s singing is very soulful @ times. Listen to any Divisions and if you still think he cannot sing w/ soul, I have no idea what you consider soulful. UM is an awesome band yet to me they are the Hare in this race and The Breakfast is taking their time just like the Tortoise and we all know how that race turns out.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 04:14:33 pm »
UM is a great band who writes some very good tunes, and complex one\'s....however, they are very hit or miss from show to show.  Of course TB blows them out of the water but you can\'t say UM is not a good band.  UM also does some good covers.  A big difference between the bands is TB is alot tighter, and more aggressive with their jams.....granted i\'ve only heard a handful of shows from UM
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 05:21:22 pm »
Quote from: Spacey
...if the breakfast was from chicago theyd have a huge fanbase already. its strictly power in numbers....

if the Breakfast was from NYC they would have been a traveling circus show following them right now.

Sorry buddy, but there\'s only evidence to the contrary on this.  The Breakfast is from New Haven, which is a decent enough city to start off in.  New Haven is in New England, which as we all know has about 20 legitimately gigable cities all within 4 hours of each other, and has given rise to all sorts of bands.  There\'s no way to know if being from Chicago would help, I\'m sure plenty of bands flop there.  And they might as well be from NYC, they\'ve played there about 25 times in 5 years.  It has nothing to do with being from New Haven.  4 years ago PB and UM had equal products and did about the same shows.  However, PB could play 20 cities within 3 hours of their home, while UM driving 3 hours in any direction from Chicago would get them nowhere.  Today, the products are still equal and they\'re still from the same places but UM is 3 times bigger.  So clearly it doesn\'t come down to home location.