Author Topic: Breakfast vs. UM chat  (Read 4388 times)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« on: May 04, 2005, 03:00:18 am »
Searching Phishhook this evening only to learn that we have been considered less annoying then Umphrey fans.

http://www.phishhook.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=488073
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 06:50:05 am »
Gee, I\'m honored... a bunch of people who don\'t know me think I\'m less annoying than a group of people who are way too big to generalize :rolleyes:

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 09:46:33 am »
i dont think UM are all that great.  i saw \'em at the jammys and i wasnt really impressed.  i found them to be very run of the mill.
Postcount +1.

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
    • http://
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 09:59:23 am »
I have never seen UM, but saw a few pics from a show.. it seems like a lot of thier fanbase is like 14...I was pretty annoying when I was 14..
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 10:16:07 am »
Quote from: Buquebus
I have never seen UM, but saw a few pics from a show.. it seems like a lot of thier fanbase is like 14...I was pretty annoying when I was 14..

i was a little punk rocker when i was 14.

Postcount +1.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 10:41:48 am »
Quote from: Jim Cobb
i dont think UM are all that great.  i saw \'em at the jammys and i wasnt really impressed.  i found them to be very run of the mill.

they definitely got talent, theyre tight, but everything sounds so similar after awhile. and i still cant believe how much people like Bayliss as a singer?! ive even heard people call him a "soulful" singer, WHAT THE FUCK? whatever, the breakfast will be like a giant wave, the peak starts on the surface then builds itself to the top where it then topples over and engulfs everything at high speeds.. fuck umph\'s popularity, ive said it before, if the breakfast was from chicago theyd have a huge fanbase already. its strictly power in numbers.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 11:38:32 am »
my point is this.
the breakfast have a fanbase outside of this, which actually finds the Breakfast to be a good solid band.
The Breakfast are being compared to Umphreys at a time when they Breakfast average 50 people a night. I just think this is good because people actually want to hear the Breakfast.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 11:40:37 am »
Tell those in search of a slow jam to check out \'Gypsy Girl\' from 1/26/01.  Beautiful!
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 11:40:36 am »
Quote from: Gordo
fuck umph\'s popularity, ive said it before, if the breakfast was from chicago theyd have a huge fanbase already. its strictly power in numbers.

if the Breakfast was from NYC they would have been a traveling circus show following them right now. They would have been huge but they have to take the same honorable road Phish took, playing until someone recognizes.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 11:43:38 am »
Great Big Jam from the last Porters show had what I think that guy was looking for as well.....Best Breakfast Jam to date in my opinion.....RELEASE!!!!
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 12:06:02 pm »
Both Fairys this weekend were great.. havent heard many others recently so point him to one he can download from a recent show that he could enjoy for a "slow song," or tell him to download a sick Gladys Pimp for a slow tune.... just to be a dick for a good reason.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 12:06:22 pm »
I dont think it has anything to do with them being from anywhere. I think it has to do a lot with timing. When these guys were first starting out the "Jam band" scene was over saturated (and some could argue still is). At this time the band was finding its legs and was always being compared to Phish (they sound like phish) etc etc etc. Since that time there has been a slight thinning of the herd. The Breakfast have steadily been floating to the top. No one that I have brought to a show has ever left saying anything less than wow. So the band also has a "sound" now.

IMHO the Breakfast is still a diamond in the rough. People who appreciate music like the breakfast. It always seems to come down exposure / management. I never understand why the band doesn\'t draw better than they do. If the numbers were there we would see them getting better time slots and bigger events.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 12:10:04 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s

IMHO the Breakfast is still a diamond in the rough. People who appreciate music like the breakfast. It always seems to come down exposure / management. I never understand why the band doesn\'t draw better than they do. If the numbers were there we would see them getting better time slots and bigger events.

HEAR HERE!!!!!!

One of the most amazing things about the Breakfast is that they keep improving and changing and working on "their sound".  They have a unique sound that is rooted in head-spinning speed and seamless transitions...As they continue to grow and mature as musicians, I believe they will be setting the bar for bands currently together and those yet to be formed....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 12:10:33 pm »
good point

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Breakfast vs. UM chat
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:25 pm »
As a follow up. I cannot imagine what the band would do if they were on stage in front of a crowd the size of roo or a festival of that size. they always seem to thrive off the energy (especially Tim) and I can only wonder what they would be pulling out.

There was an interview I read from Warren haynes and he made a comment that he thought a lot of bands these days lacked knowledge of the roots of music (he made the reference in speaking about how the Grateful Dead explored the roots of american music) I personally think you do not have to look any further than this band to find it.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19