Author Topic: "moe. down" 05  (Read 10299 times)

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 08:50:42 pm »
like she said:

Quote from: postom
it\'s not for everyone

I thought those Worcester shows were great, but I can\'t expect someone who isn\'t a fan to appreciate it the same way.  For me, they were the first band I started seeing after Phish went on hiatus, and they were basically everything I was looking for in a band, enough so for me to move on to them completely and basically forgetting all about Phish.   My one gripe w/ Phish was they always left you wanting more.  They\'d play some awesome jams and then toss in some lame ass slow song to sit down and catch up for a minute, some times they\'d do that too much and it would ruin the energy for me.  Yeah, they were original and weird and quirky and what have you, and they completely owned the jamband scene, but they were just another band when you get down to it.

moe. makes no bones about what they are.  They aren\'t up there trying to be anything their not or trying to use some gimmicks.  They\'re not music students who go out and try to write the most complex piece of music possible or play something backwards or inside out or what have you.  They\'re just a rock and roll band that jams the shit out of everything they can get their hands on.  Some people may find it too jammy or too spacey or what have you, but its all gravy to me, and the more they jam their shit out, the happier it makes me.  You can hate on them all you want, but you can\'t deny their musical ability.  Rob is one of the most badass bassplayers/lead singers out there today, he could light up 90% of bassists out there today and make their head spin.  The combination of Chuck and Al makes for one of the best guitar tandems around the jamband scene as well.  Anyone who is a fan of Tim really should be able to appreciate Chuck\'s playing because there are a boatload of similarities between the two.  Tim may have a bit more chops to him, but Chuck makes up for it w/ his slide playing and talkbox.  The drummers are solid too.  Vinnie is a machine, nothing flashy, but he sets the tone and keeps everything grounded.  Jim is probably the most skilled musician in the band though.  His percussion and malletkat work is amazing, and he mixes it up and plays bass, acoustic guitar, and pretty much anything he can get his hands on.

If you don\'t dig on them, then oh well, you either are looking for something that you aren\'t gonna find, or its just straight up not for you.  When you get down to it though, they are as good as it gets for what they are doing.   They\'re an American Band, they\'ll come into your town, they\'ll help you party down, and thats about all you need to know.  Maybe if the Breakfast can bring 7,000 people to upstate New York for their festival or put on a cruise where 800 of their biggest fans will pony up a grand to spend a week seeing then, or if they can sell out the Fox Theater in Atlanta which holds about 5000 heads, then maybe we can say they\'re a better band, but as long as they\'re playing in front of 50 people in bars in New England, then it just seems a little like a losing arguement to me.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 09:04:34 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher
like she said:

Maybe if the Breakfast can bring 7,000 people to upstate New York for their festival or put on a cruise where 800 of their biggest fans will pony up a grand to spend a week seeing then, or if they can sell out the Fox Theater in Atlanta which holds about 5000 heads, then maybe we can say they\'re a better band, but as long as they\'re playing in front of 50 people in bars in New England, then it just seems a little like a losing arguement to me.

just because they\'re not bringing in as much publicitiy doenst mean they are not a better band.  moe\'s been around a lot longer, so they\'ve had time to get their name out there.  the breakfast is a better band, whether there\'s 10 people at their shows or 10 thousand.  moe rocks, but they are simply not as good as TB
*Gia*

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 09:21:35 pm »
its really apples to oranges.  for me, they\'re both as good as it gets, but I can\'t go and say this band is better than that.  They\'re better at some things, moe.\'s better at others, and I try to leave it at that.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 09:21:52 pm »
moe. fucking rocks.. I\'ve been listening to them for a long time, 97 to be precise, they\'ve grown into something beautiful.  They make the best studio albums in the "jamband" scene hands down, have a great live show, write REAL ROCK SONGS (with the occasional annoying goof off tune).  I stopped listening to them after Dither came out because of how dissapointed I was with it.  On top of that I don\'t think their live sound transfers well to tape, I have no owned ONE moe. show that has blown me away, yet if I saw that show live, I\'m sure I would\'ve been OWNED!!  Thinking HEARTILY about moe. down this year, especially to support TB!!
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 09:25:43 pm »
thatta boy joe.  congrats on your 420th post by the way, how do you plan on celebrating?  but yeah, dither was nothing to shake a stick at.  check out wormwood though, if you haven\'t yet.  a far superior album in every sense.  their newest warts and all release is great too.  some vintage \'98 moe. from Carbondale New York, it has a great Dr Graffenberg> Havah Negilah> Time Ed and a seamless Yodelittle> Rebubula> I Know You Rider on there as well.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 09:30:38 pm »
Oh thanks BRAH... I might just go PUFF a butt.  yeah man, actually I decided to RANDOMLY buy Wormwood during my manic shopping spree last week.  Dude, that\'s what made me fall in love with them ALL OVER again.  I can\'t get over how fucking amazing it is, the fluency, the songwriting, the live/studio overdubs.... boom boom boom bang bang bang...

Actually I have Kyle\'s Song stuck in my head, I just cant recite the chorus as well, all I know is "Kyle\'s out of town" ;)  

In fact, I was planning on dlding EVERY moedown, just because I feel they represent all of moe.\'s career in an apt way.  Plus I\'m sure the outdoor effect will help with the sound. (every DAUD moe. show I\'ve owned has been OVERpowered by the low end, which makes me toss the show in the garbage).
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2005, 11:30:54 pm »
Quote from: Joe

Actually I have Kyle\'s Song stuck in my head, I just cant recite the chorus as well, all I know is "Kyle\'s out of town" ;)  

crushed like green velour, you can\'t keep him down, who will mind the store.......kyle\'s is one of my favorites  yeeeee
*Gia*

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2005, 11:36:16 pm »
hell yeah

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
    • http://
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 06:28:38 am »
Breakfast at moe.down - about time! Is it confirmed yet?

I\'d gone off moe a bit lately (sorry Igzi), but the recent Tsunami show got me back into them again. I still say they need more new material, though.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 08:24:17 pm »
adrian vs. jim and vinnie moe.down 6 be there or be stupid
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 03:49:39 am »
I feel like I see the same thing every time I see moe.

But it is possible that I haven\'t sene them enough times to be fair.

BTW, I love Phish\'s "lame slow songs." :)
Masturbation in the MFA

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 01:31:46 pm »
I love Phish\'s lame slow songs as well...

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 01:58:53 pm »
probably against the grain for saying this but I enjoyed the direction they were going. didn\'t really like the slow songs live, but I respected their growth as artists. I would never replace Antelope for Mexican Cousin but I understood where Trey and the band came from. I would have loved to see them stay together as a jazz hybrid band. They could have stayed on stage and played for hours with nothing at all. as long as they were tight then I don\'t care!
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
I would sub Mexican Cousin for Antelope any day of the year....

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
"moe. down" 05
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 03:30:10 pm »
Quote from: Joe
I would sub Mexican Cousin for Antelope any day of the year....

:holyshit:
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice