Author Topic: The Official 2005 Boston Red Sox Thread  (Read 77749 times)

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
The ONE and ONLY 2005 Major League Baseball Thread! [MERGED]
« Reply #420 on: September 11, 2005, 07:28:52 pm »
Quote from: Spacey

I was sort of nervous with Riveria on the mound in the 9th. It is tough to way Mariano on the mound in close situations like that, especially after last seasons fall apart.

Yeah he has seemed kind of tired a lot of this season too.
Masturbation in the MFA

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #421 on: September 11, 2005, 07:35:39 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn

I was sort of nervous with Riveria on the mound in the 9th. It is tough to way Mariano on the mound in close situations like that, especially after last seasons fall apart.

That he has. I think his career is almost over, IMO. I believe he is closing in on 40 years old. Which isn\'t really old given the age of a lot of athletes these days. But, I just don\'t think his arm is a strong as it should be.

That being said. The Yanks head to Devil Ray country and the Sox head to Blue Jay territory. Both of these clubs (Tampa Bay and Toronto) have had the better of these two teams. Really, this end of the season is shaping up to be historic, as if the Yanks/Sox needed anymore history.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: September 11, 2005, 07:38:37 pm »

That he has. I think his career is almost over, IMO. I believe he is closing in on 40 years old. Which isn\'t really old given the age of a lot of athletes these days. But, I just don\'t think his arm is a strong as it should be.

the most dominant closer in the history of the game has saved 37 out of 41 games this year.. what more do you want from him?

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #423 on: September 11, 2005, 07:45:07 pm »
Quote from: davepeck

the most dominant closer in the history of the game has saved 37 out of 41 games this year.. what more do you want from him?

I want 41 out of 41.

I want less stress when he is one the mound. I don\'t want a repeat of last seasons mishaps.

All it takes is him to blow that 1 important game and 37 out of 41 won\'t matter. At this point in the season the Yankees need every win they can get. While he may have lost a little on his arm, he still has done a very fine job at what he is suppose to be doing. Perhaps, I must be directing my comments towards the offense that really needs to put some insurance runs up and not get him into those situations.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #424 on: September 11, 2005, 08:02:20 pm »
I want 41 out of 41.

I want less stress when he is one the mound. I don\'t want a repeat of last seasons mishaps.

i want you to tell me who you have in mind to replace him and give you less stress.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #425 on: September 11, 2005, 08:12:30 pm »
Quote from: davepeck
I want 41 out of 41.

i want you to tell me who you have in mind to replace him and give you less stress.

I never said replace him. I simply said that his career IMO is coming to a close. I am sure he has a few more years in him, but his dominance in the last couple of seasons is beginning to deteriate. There once was a time when they would make a call to the bullpen and you knew the game was over, now I don\'t feel/see that.

I doubt anyone can reduce the stress that I have when watching the Yankees play. That like I said before, needs to come from an offense that puts up some insurance runs. Right now, there are 3 pitchers who have more saves then Riveria, Cordero (44), Wickman (39) and Hoffman (37).

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #426 on: September 11, 2005, 09:19:52 pm »
Hoffman does not have more saves than Rivera. 37 and 37 are equal. he does, however, have a better save percentage than Rivera, who, by the way, has a better save percentage than the top 2 guys you named.

Cordero: 44/50 = 88%
Wickman: 39/44 = 88.6%
Hoffman: 37/39 = 94.9%
Rivera: 37/41 = 90.2%

Rivera also has the most strikeouts, lowest ERA, and fewest hits per innings pitched out of everyone you mentioned. the yankees haven\'t been involved in many close games this year on either side of the ball, which is why Mo doesn\'t have as many saves as the other guys, and that\'s what makes it a moot point..

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #427 on: September 11, 2005, 10:19:46 pm »
Wakefield: Complete game 3-hitter, career high 12 strikeouts, against the Yankees on the road.  Almost certainly the best game he\'s ever pitched.  Loss.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #428 on: September 20, 2005, 02:27:56 am »
Chisox comin\' back to the pack the Tribe gaining ground. Bosox fighting to keep 1st place w/ The Yanks right behind them. The Angels keeping the A\'s @ bay. Wild Card battles. Man this season is winding down in Grand fashion. Is anyone else jacked up about this?
Oh and the Padres Magic # is 8!!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #429 on: September 20, 2005, 03:49:39 am »
Quote from: leith
Chisox comin\' back to the pack the Tribe gaining ground. Bosox fighting to keep 1st place w/ The Yanks right behind them. The Angels keeping the A\'s @ bay. Wild Card battles. Man this season is winding down in Grand fashion. Is anyone else jacked up about this?

ummm.. the NL West should be removed from baseball.. just for this season at least. the division champs of this division ought to be ashamed of themselves stepping onto playoff grounds.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #430 on: September 20, 2005, 03:54:18 am »
Quote from: Gordo

ummm.. the NL West should be removed from baseball.. just for this season at least. the division champs of this division ought to be ashamed of themselves stepping onto playoff grounds.

Yeah whatever guy. You play in the division you play in. Win it and you play in the playoffs. I do not expect them to go far but a Division Champ is still a Division Champ.
You don\'t like it go watch Soccer.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: September 20, 2005, 06:36:01 am »
truly an amazing race for sure..

cleveland 15 games back of the ChiSox on 8/1, now 2.5 back with 5 games against each other to go..

yanks/sox tied in the loss column, 3 games head to head to close the season..

4 games separate 4 teams in the NL wild card race...

oh yeah.. it\'s on!

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #432 on: September 20, 2005, 07:29:55 am »
Wait \'till last year!

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
« Reply #433 on: September 20, 2005, 08:27:21 am »
Quote from: Wolfman
Wait \'till last year!

now that\'s funny!!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #434 on: September 21, 2005, 03:27:18 am »
Quote from: Gordo

Yeah whatever guy. You play in the division you play in. Win it and you play in the playoffs. I do not expect them to go far but a Division Champ is still a Division Champ.
You don\'t like it go watch Soccer.

NL Overall standings:
1.St. Louis
2.Atlanta
3.Houston
4.Philadelphia
5.Florida
6.Washington
7.San Diego (@ .500)

San Diego Shwagres for sure.

but in all honesty, im just giving you a hard time for kicks leith. i agree, you win your division youre in, id be celebrating if the cubs had a 5 game lead at .500, but they dont so ill make fun of your team out of envy.

and yes, this home stretch is insane. i hope florida takes over the wild card, probly wont happen though. the AL is f-in crazy right now. crede\'s dong in the 10th tonight was HUGE, boston and new york both win.. its basically a four team race between Boston, NY, Chicago, and Cleveland to get there with one team waiting to bite the dust. the Chi-Sox have the best record, but i have a feeling Cleveland is going to sweep the last series and take over. i dont even want to predict the East, but my personal desires point to:

East: Boston
Central: Chicago
West: Oakland
Wild Card: Cleveland

funny thing is i could go 0 for 4 here. i love the hunt for October.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash