Author Topic: Real Radio review thread  (Read 9381 times)

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2005, 05:58:46 pm »
Too good for the Real Radio Review Thread? :drew:
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2005, 05:59:06 pm »
Quote from: Joe
In the words of Chris Tucker:" Stop bringing up old shit"

Ah but if we dont learn from the past then we are doomed to repeat it...
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2005, 06:03:16 pm »
Drew, I felt so touched by Real Radio that I had to make my own thread.  There\'s too much GREATNESS on the album to even call it a review.  Basically it\'s my own personal praise!!!

AS for Mr. gencs

I think there is a moral to this story, namely that it is more important to have beauty in one\'s equations than to have them fit experiment. It seems that if one is working from the point of view of getting beauty into one\'s equations, and if one has a really sound insight, one is on a sure line of progress. P. A. M. Dirac (1963)
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2005, 06:05:20 pm »
Quote from: Joe
AS for Mr. gencs

I think there is a moral to this story, namely that it is more important to have beauty in one\'s equations than to have them fit experiment. It seems that if one is working from the point of view of getting beauty into one\'s equations, and if one has a really sound insight, one is on a sure line of progress. P. A. M. Dirac (1963)

"well scoobie doo can doo doo, but jimmy carter is smarter" - Homer Jay Simpson
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2005, 06:13:52 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs
"well scoobie doo can doo doo, but jimmy carter is smarter" - Homer Jay Simpson

rotfl  rotfl sooo funny!

as for real radio... well its the first album in a while that makes me take the long way home :) i definitely appreciate the album more every time i listen to it, i feel like i find something new i never noticed before, each time. it\'s really quite refreshing!
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

davepeck

• Administrator
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2005, 07:49:51 pm »
a reminder -

if anyone wishes to write a formal review of RR, please submit it to the http://www.thebreakfast.info/modules.php?s=&mop=modload&file=index&name=Reviews">reviews section. thanks!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2005, 08:34:53 pm »
i know i said earlier after my first time listening to the album i needed to let it grow on me, and it has, a lot. best studio album ive bought since Undermind...

joking.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Blackieshamps

• Blankee Dick
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2005, 01:19:04 am »
i dont really dig the arrangement of some of the songs on the album.  i think it rockets off with inner glimpse but vera street is awkwardly placed.  it just seems too slow and soft for the second on this album i think it woulve sounded better later on, on the other hand, i think fresh cut>Scheme is maybe the best closing of an album ive ever heard.  and fresh cut as a song is really just fucking awesome.
"Clown College? pfft you cant eat that!"

mcajam

• < does work
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2005, 04:28:44 pm »
I fuckin love this album,  every time i listen its better and better, just like every time i see them its better and better.   Thanx TB  also i voted for gravity on the poll but i can easily select four others....
"Well, sometimes nuthin\' can be a real cool hand.."

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Real Radio Review - jambands.com
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2005, 11:02:46 pm »
Real Radio - The Breakfast
This Band Makes Me Feel - Acetate
Bradley Farberman
2005-04-04

Horizon Music Group 1125
Sanctuary Records 06076-84742-2

Life is a carnival, yes (The Band, anyone?), but it\'s also a lot like the majority of music discussed on this website: it\'s improvised. You wake up and, immediately, you\'re working off the cuff: there\'s no time to choose your words too carefully, think too long about what you\'ll have for lunch, or decide which Phish t-shirt goes best with your torn corduroys. You live in the moment (well, ideally), and you move on.

And, usually, your choices aren\'t perfect. Far from it, in fact. But as you \'practice\' more and more (e.g. grow older), you learn what works, and what doesn\'t, and your \'gigs\' start to cook.

And sometimes, they cook. For those of us who aren\'t on tour six nights a week, this might be the night you get hired at a great job, snag a girlfriend or really nail a midterm. But whether you\'re in a globetrotting rock group or writing for a music website, you only cook when you\'re comfortable.

And you\'re only comfy once you\'ve decided, and accepted, what works for you, and who you really are. That\'s when you stop trying to please everyone and, in turn, you please everyone that counts.

Real Radio, in turn, neglects to do that. The fourth record from Connecticut jammers The Breakfast just won\'t jam.

Which is a shame, because that\'s what they do best, and they\'re damn good at it. The slogan on their new poster reads "Changing The Airwaves With Their 4th Album" and what I\'m left wondering is why they want to do this.

Sure, money is nice, and a song on the radio should mean some big bucks, but if it means discarding the strongest element of your sound, then is it worth it? There\'s lots of talk recently about "wanking," and looking to escape the "jamband" moniker, because it\'s got a negative connotation all of a sudden, but let\'s imagine, for a moment, that it\'s okay to jam.

I mean, there are lots of pitfalls to it. It\'s self-indulgent. It can go on for too long. But I\'m willing to take that risk and so are countless other music fans out there. Tim Palmieri is a killer guitarist and I want to hear him rip. Maybe even for a long time. And I don\'t care if it\'s on the radio or not.

I guess most people get bored during solos, at shows or on record, but I don\'t. I\'m usually bored during the head of a tune; I can\'t wait to see what happens during \'recess.\'

Which is why Real Radio is a real disappointment. The jams are few and far between, and \'radio-friendly\' is unfriendly to people who don\'t like the radio. To their credit though, the jams that are present are sweet.

They take their time on "Gravity," for instance, and the results really add up. Jordan Giangreco\'s quiet piano and Palmieri\'s ethereal guitar meander about tastefully until it\'s time to rage.

That\'s when the organ swirls, the guitar shreds, the bass tightens up, the drums beat like Jack Kerouac.

And it rages. "Sleeping Beauty" gets slammin\' for a bit, too; it explores drum-n-bass and dub, genres that won\'t "change the airwaves" anytime soon.

Acetate\'s new record, on the other hand, could end up on the airwaves (is that a good thing?). This Band Makes Me Feel, courtesy of Dave Schools\' new trio featuring Ben Mize of Counting Crows, is an unabashed pop statement.

And that statement\'s unabashedly derivative. The disc reeks of Nirvana, and Alice in Chains, and lots of grunge era-type stuff. And that would be just fine if Dave Schools were in a band out of Seattle, and the year was 1991. But it\'s not, and the record is boring. We\'ve heard it before.

So, a message in parting: Dave Schools, The Breakfast, please play jammy music. It may not get you on the radio, and it might be "wanking," but it\'s really good. Keep doin\' that.

LINK

I tryed to post this in the reviews section, but failed, not sure if it needs to get approved or whatnot. Also, I know there is another review thread, so feel free to merge if needed Dave.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

davepeck

• Administrator
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2005, 06:29:24 am »
ant - yeah, reviews need to be \'approved\'.. i\'ll check the queue and get this up there.

damn that new quote box is sexy.. ;)

everyone\'s entitled to their opinion, but i just think this guy\'s way off. if you wanna hear them jam, go see them live. but i think the result of their studio work should be honing their songs to get them to sound as close to perfect as possible, and i think they accomplished that quite well.. bah.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2005, 07:41:27 am »
this review is crazy. So on a picture of nectar he thinks that cavern is a horrible song because it isnt long enough? Thats what the live shows are for!A CD is only 80 minutes long! You can\'t put down the full versions. Also, I like the fact that cd\'s are the stripped down versions. It makes the live versions that much better becuase you don\'t know how far out they will take it.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2005, 09:36:11 am »
That is the stupidest, most self serving review I have ever read. Confirmed.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Cruzweb

• The Exalted One
    • http://www.cruzweb.net
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2005, 09:40:09 am »
What a fucked review. He talks about how sweet the solos are and how tight the band is while he\'s bitching because they don\'t jam enough? It makes little sense marketing wise or production wise to fill a CD up with straight jams. The guys are trying to make a name for themselves and most people seem to agree that they\'re going in the right direction.
--John Cruz
http://www.cruzweb.net">Cruz Web Design | http://www.thebreakfast.org">Webmaster - Thebreakfast.org

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Real Radio review thread
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2005, 01:03:21 pm »
someone send this guy a copy of Zone one to review! :P
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke